Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 25, 12, 7:25 pm   #1
Ambassador: JAL Mileage Bank
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Sapphire, SPG Gold
Posts: 10,558
JAL 787 went tech already!?

http://www.ar.jal.com/arl/cms/conten...ws_002078.html

Quote:
Due to aircraft maintenance, departure of JL007 has been changed as follows:

Flight No.: JL007, Boston (BOS) - Tokyo (NRT)
Original Scheduled Departure: 25APR12 (Wed), 13:10PM, Eastern Time
New Scheduled Departure: 26APR12 (Thu), 13:10PM, Eastern Time

April 25, 2012
Japan Airlines
This should be the 2nd roundtrip of this particular aircraft (JA822J) and it requires maintenance that cause a delay of 24 hours already Good that JAL stages the BOS launch to 4 weekly flights for exactly this reason

Anyone knows what's wrong with the aircraft?
__________________
Disclaimer: Not associated with any airlines or travel agencies
Vist my personal site on JAL & follow me on Twitter.

Last edited by JALPak; Apr 25, 12 at 7:31 pm.
JALPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 12, 9:05 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Programs: AA EXP(4mm), UA 1K(1mm), SPG Lifetime Plt, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 759
Not a good start. Frankly I was surprised JAL actually started this flight with the 787. Seems to me they should not have sent the 787 out of Japan for the first 3-4 months if operation by the carrier. It's such a new aircraft. IIRC, ANA operating their first 787's only domestically until they were more comfortable with them and worked out the kinks.
Seat 1F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 12, 6:43 am   #3
Ambassador: JAL Mileage Bank
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Sapphire, SPG Gold
Posts: 10,558
JL007 on May 2 was delayed for about an hour due to aircraft maintenance. Seems like these 788 birds keep getting problems. Hopefully reliability will improve over time.
__________________
Disclaimer: Not associated with any airlines or travel agencies
Vist my personal site on JAL & follow me on Twitter.
JALPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 12, 7:24 am   #4
Ambassador: JAL Mileage Bank
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Sapphire, SPG Gold
Posts: 10,558
Another one! JAL 787 went tech again causing BOS-NRT delayed for at least 6 hours on Jun 8 http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/120606.html
__________________
Disclaimer: Not associated with any airlines or travel agencies
Vist my personal site on JAL & follow me on Twitter.
JALPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 12, 7:45 am   #5
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern VA, USA
Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 578
Your link goes to a change in aircraft for another 787 route. Do you have another link for the BOS-NRT delay?

FlightAware data shows it went tech at NRT causing a delay to the NRT-BOS leg and subsequent BOS-NRT return.
__________________
¡Por qué no!

Last edited by WillTravel4Food; Jun 10, 12 at 7:52 am.
WillTravel4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 12, 8:52 am   #6
Ambassador: JAL Mileage Bank
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Sapphire, SPG Gold
Posts: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food View Post
Your link goes to a change in aircraft for another 787 route. Do you have another link for the BOS-NRT delay?

FlightAware data shows it went tech at NRT causing a delay to the NRT-BOS leg and subsequent BOS-NRT return.
Oops must have posted the wrong link. Yes it's JL008 that went tech and caused JL007 to delay 6 hours due to late arrival of aircraft
__________________
Disclaimer: Not associated with any airlines or travel agencies
Vist my personal site on JAL & follow me on Twitter.
JALPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 12, 10:27 am   #7
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA Gold, UA GM (ex 1K-lite), Priority Club Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, DL GM
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Oops must have posted the wrong link. Yes it's JL008 that went tech and caused JL007 to delay 6 hours due to late arrival of aircraft
I was on the JL008 leg -- the broken bird was JA822J again. My Japanese is pretty spotty but at one point I heard them mention air conditioning?

(We had also been delayed 70 min. on JL007 on June 2nd due to maintenance in Narita and subsequent late arrival of that flight.)
FrequentishFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 12, 8:11 pm   #8
Ambassador: JAL Mileage Bank
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Sapphire, SPG Gold
Posts: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequentishFlyer View Post
I was on the JL008 leg -- the broken bird was JA822J again. My Japanese is pretty spotty but at one point I heard them mention air conditioning?

(We had also been delayed 70 min. on JL007 on June 2nd due to maintenance in Narita and subsequent late arrival of that flight.)
Thanks for the report. Seems like JA822J is cursed LOL
__________________
Disclaimer: Not associated with any airlines or travel agencies
Vist my personal site on JAL & follow me on Twitter.
JALPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 12, 8:01 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston, Jo'burg, HK
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Posts: 8,748
Flew the BOS-NRT trip. Plane is very nice, but some glitchy stuff.

The in-flight map wasn't really working, and coupled with the JEN MAGIC whatever interface, which apparently was designed by my cat, Smidgen, it made for an annoying IFE experience. I thought that with a new plane, they wouldn't just retrofit the same crappy IFE system, but give this a clean sweep. Apparently not.

The electronic window shades take a looong time to activate, and they don't go fully dark.

The in-seat AC ports were lit up, but didn't work in many of the seats, even though the system was indicating A-OK.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 12, 8:28 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston, MA (BOS)
Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Posts: 4,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Flew the BOS-NRT trip. Plane is very nice, but some glitchy stuff.

The in-flight map wasn't really working, and coupled with the JEN MAGIC whatever interface, which apparently was designed by my cat, Smidgen, it made for an annoying IFE experience. I thought that with a new plane, they wouldn't just retrofit the same crappy IFE system, but give this a clean sweep. Apparently not.

The electronic window shades take a looong time to activate, and they don't go fully dark.

The in-seat AC ports were lit up, but didn't work in many of the seats, even though the system was indicating A-OK.
Took the flight last month and had no issues. I agree the IFE is a bit finicky, but that could very easily be fixed and doesn't change the fact that it's an incredible new aircraft and the novelty of BOS-NRT nonstop. FWIW, I flew JA827J and JA826J
__________________
R.I.P. American Airlines: 12/9/2013
AAerSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 12, 6:22 am   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 122
Any relation to this? Maybe they're pulling this plane to sub for the tech-y one?

Quote:
The Haneda - Beijing route with Boeing 787 operation. Due to temporary change of aircraft type, it will be operated by Boeing 767 during the period stated below. (The flights on June 30 and July 3 will be operated by Boeing 777.)

Applicable Period (Flight date) :
till July 31, 2012

Flight Number:
JL023 (Haneda, Japan to Beijing)
JL024 (Beijing to Haneda, Japan)

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to our valued customers.
http://www.cn.jal.com/cnl/cms/conten...ws_002326.html
LausanneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 12, 9:28 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston, Jo'burg, HK
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Posts: 8,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
Took the flight last month and had no issues. I agree the IFE is a bit finicky, but that could very easily be fixed and doesn't change the fact that it's an incredible new aircraft and the novelty of BOS-NRT nonstop. FWIW, I flew JA827J and JA826J
Definitely, BOS-NRT non-stop is a godsend for my travel patterns. I just hope it lasts, there hadn't been a BOS-NRT nonstop ever, not even during the bubble or the Dice-K era, so why is now a good time to start?

My flight was probably 95% Japanese, we were the only gaijin in business class. That's fine by me, the food and service were very good, usual JAL J.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 12, 11:26 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
My flight was probably 95% Japanese, we were the only gaijin in business class. That's fine by me, the food and service were very good, usual JAL J.
That has always been my experience on lh JL J

I'm probably also always the youngest pax except for the toddlers
LausanneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 6:41 pm   #14
Ambassador: JAL Mileage Bank
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Sapphire, SPG Gold
Posts: 10,558
Another over 24 hour delay because of 787 maintenance. This time it's JA827J

http://www.ar.jal.com/arl/cms/conten...ws_002462.html


Quote:
Due to maintenance of the aircraft, departure of JL007 has been changed as follows.

[Original Flight No.] JL007, Boston (BOS) - Tokyo (NRT)

[Original Scheduled Departure] 29JUL12 (SUN), 13:20, Eastern Time

[New Scheduled Departure] 30JUL12 (MON), 15:00, Eastern Time

...
__________________
Disclaimer: Not associated with any airlines or travel agencies
Vist my personal site on JAL & follow me on Twitter.
JALPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 12, 2:20 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Another over 24 hour delay because of 787 maintenance. This time it's JA827J

http://www.ar.jal.com/arl/cms/conten...ws_002462.html
I saw the 787 parked at BOS in the evening and was wondering what happened. Its usually only there briefly in the afternoon before turning around. Not a good sign that there are so many issues with this already..
corporateslave is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 am.