FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   [JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1331172-jal-newbie-lounge-ask-your-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JALPak Apr 1, 2012 12:11 am

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Welcome to FlyerTalk and the JAL Mileage Bank Forum!

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about JAL and the JAL Mileage Bank program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about JAL/JMB you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here. We will try our best to help.

And of course, you can always start a new thread too ;)

jamar Apr 4, 2012 9:05 pm

Question on behalf of a non-FTer-

How do you switch regions (Asia->America), and how long does it typically take?

JALPak Apr 4, 2012 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by jamar (Post 18337696)
Question on behalf of a non-FTer-

How do you switch regions (Asia->America), and how long does it typically take?

How and how long it takes is region specific (at least it was). When I switched to American region, all it took is just one phone call and they switched me to American region immediately. When I switched to Asia region, I had to fill out a form and fax it back to the JMB HK office and it took a day or two.

But things might have changed since then because I did my switches ~10 years ago. Anyone has more recent experience?

greg47 Apr 5, 2012 2:55 pm

fly on points

I have a ticket bos nrt sgn ticketed on AA stock in Q class but will
be flying on JAL metal,,If I have my miles credited to Jal instead of AA
it looks like I will only recieve 50% mileage credit.Is that 50% for both
redeemable and elite miles ?

JALPak Apr 5, 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by greg47 (Post 18342270)
I have a ticket bos nrt sgn ticketed on AA stock in Q class but will
be flying on JAL metal,,If I have my miles credited to Jal instead of AA
it looks like I will only recieve 50% mileage credit.Is that 50% for both
redeemable and elite miles ?

Yes, in this case they will be treated as AA flights even though you are on JAL metals. So the AA table below would apply, and you will receive 50% redeemable miles and 50% non JAL Group flight FOPs if you choose to credit the flights to JMB.

http://www.ar.jal.com/world/en/jalmile/flight/aa.html

greg47 Apr 5, 2012 4:40 pm

thanks jalpak

are u saying I will get 50% redeemable miles and 0% elite miles if
I go with JAL or will I get 50% of each ?

JALPak Apr 5, 2012 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by greg47 (Post 18342840)
are u saying I will get 50% redeemable miles and 0% elite miles if
I go with JAL or will I get 50% of each ?

Yes, you will get 50% redeemable miles, 50% elite qualifying miles (aka FOPs), and each flight will get 1 elite qualifying sector.

But the FOPs and elite qualifying sectors are counted as non-JAL Group ones. This year JAL has changed the elite qualifying requirements which require half of the FOPs are earned from JAL Group flights if you are qualifying by FOPs and half of the sectors are earned from JAL Group flights if you are qualifying by sectors.

greg47 Apr 5, 2012 6:24 pm

ok

now I get it,,I'm from the boston area and travel to asia often,so now
that JAL has the direct flight BOS-NRT,,I am thinking of using them
more often.Thanks again JALPAK and I'm sure I'll have more questions
in the future:)

JALPak Apr 5, 2012 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by greg47 (Post 18343269)
now I get it,,I'm from the boston area and travel to asia often,so now
that JAL has the direct flight BOS-NRT,,I am thinking of using them
more often.Thanks again JALPAK and I'm sure I'll have more questions
in the future:)

You are welcome. Feel free to post here or start a new thread if you have any other questions. And let us know how the 787 ride is like too :D

intuition Apr 9, 2012 11:09 am

Stickers on seat

Flew my first JL flight the other day (JL735 NRT-HKG)
I noticed they put small stickers on top of the seats on a few pax in the Y-cabin. What could that have been?
I could not figure out what the pattern was. I saw 3-4 stickers on very different pax, one beeing a small child and only one in that family of four that got sticker. Food allergies is my best guess, but it just seems to many cases. Anyone who knows?

JALPak Apr 9, 2012 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 18360528)
Flew my first JL flight the other day (JL735 NRT-HKG)
I noticed they put small stickers on top of the seats on a few pax in the Y-cabin. What could that have been?
I could not figure out what the pattern was. I saw 3-4 stickers on very different pax, one beeing a small child and only one in that family of four that got sticker. Food allergies is my best guess, but it just seems to many cases. Anyone who knows?

Those are stickers for special meals. If you order one, you will get a sticker so they know who to deliver the meal to (and not to give you another meal during regular meal service :p)

AAerSTL Apr 19, 2012 9:04 pm

What to expect in Business NRT-ICN (6:00pm) and ICN-NRT (8:00am) on 767? My reservation indicates a meal will be served, does JAL serve western style meals on this route? Will be coming in on the new BOS-NRT on 787, looking forward to it.

JALPak Apr 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 18426752)
What to expect in Business NRT-ICN (6:00pm) and ICN-NRT (8:00am) on 767? My reservation indicates a meal will be served, does JAL serve western style meals on this route? Will be coming in on the new BOS-NRT on 787, looking forward to it.

I haven't flown on this route personally but I could tell you what they serve onboard in business class. Below are the links to the April menu (Japanese). The ex-NRT menu has pictures showing the meals.

NRT-ICN: http://www.jal.co.jp/cgi-bin/jal/inf...ss=c&x=24&y=15
ICN-NRT: http://www.jal.co.jp/cgi-bin/jal/inf...rt&seatclass=c

As you can see, you only have one Japanese choice on NRT-ICN which consists of sushi and some small items

On ICN-NRT, since you are on the JL950, your menu is different from the rest of the ICN-NRT flights. But it again only has Japanese option. Below is the google translate for your ICN-NRT menu

【アペタイザー】
スモークサーモン
カラーピーマンのクリームチーズ詰め
グリル野菜

【メインディッシュ】
ポルトガル風オムレツ

【パン】
ソフトロール

【ヨーグルト】
ブルーベリーヨーグルト

JALの新しいコーヒー JAL CAFE LINES

緑茶 、紅茶

[Appetizers]
Smoked salmon
Cream cheese stuffed green peppers
Grilled vegetables

[Main Dish]
Portuguese-style omelette

[Bread]
Soft roll

[Yogurt]
Blueberry yogurt

JAL CAFE LINES coffee

Green tea, black tea

Nottafatslob Apr 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 18312245)
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the JAL Mileage Bank Forum!

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about JAL and the JAL Mileage Bank program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about JAL/JMB you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here. We will try our best to help.

Do you know the hours of JAL's Sakura Lounge in Bangkok?
Also on a business class JAL ticket is that the only lounge I can use there and also which lounges can I use on Business ticket in Narita?

JALPak Apr 23, 2012 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob (Post 18442332)
Do you know the hours of JAL's Sakura Lounge in Bangkok?
Also on a business class JAL ticket is that the only lounge I can use there and also which lounges can I use on Business ticket in Narita?

According to oneworld website, it's 05:45-08:30 and 18:00-23:30

Last time when I was there, they started cleaning up before 8:30 as everyone has left for the morning flight already.

According to oneworld website, you will have access to any business class lounge at NRT based on your class of service.

Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. (First Class passengers may be accompanied by one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline).
But in reality, some lounge dragons might deny you access. E.g. it happened when one of the FTers tried to access CX lounge with a JAL business class ticket at HKG a while back.

Also, JAL has recently added a 3rd lounge during morning hours to solve the congestion problems. Passengers on some morning departure flights are invited to the JAL Lounge with American Airlines (which is just the enhanced Admirals Club). So if you are on JL717, you will be invited to use that lounge instead of the usual Sakura Lounge. More info in the thread below.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jal-m...yo-narita.html