Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The slippers are yours to keep after the flight, the blankets are to be left behind after the flight. I would guess ITM, based on it being the shortest route with F.
Thank you very much for the clear response.

Anyone has experience with the passbook check in? Everything seems to be in Japanese
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by ramops
Anyone has experience with the passbook check in? Everything seems to be in Japanese
I've used passbook. If memory serves correctly, (1) it's only explained in Japanese. (2) It only works for domestic flights. But it mostly involves getting the right url for the QR code to have it wind up in passbook.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I'm looking to optimize a trip in April, in terms of cost, comfort, and tier points (I credit to BA). Basically I need to fly from PHX to Tokyo, Beijing, and Hong Kong, before returning back to the US. Total trip is approximately two weeks, with a few days in Tokyo, four days in Beijing, and then a week in Hong Kong.

I could fly paid business class via work, though I do have a placeholder award on AA in First for the TPAC segment as insurance in case prices go up too much before I make a booking.

The main challenge seems to be there there are no good options for a 3-segment business class trip for something like NRT/HND-PEK-HKG-NRT/HND, or even for a 2-segment trip such as NRT/HND-PEK-HKG (or other permutations).

So the seemingly best option I've found is:

PHX-(AA)-LAX-(JL)-NRT (ticket 1)
HND-(JL)-PEK (ticket 2)
PEK-(JL)-HND (ticket 2)
HND-(CX)-HKG (ticket 3)
HKG-(CX)-NRT (ticket 3)
NRT-(AA or JL)-LAX-(AA)-PHX (ticket 1)

Ticket 1: ~$4000
Ticket 2: ~$1345
Ticket 3: ~$1419

Possible concerns:
1. Layover at HND between ticket 2 and ticket 3 is 3.5 hours. I've heard that departures from PEK can be very delayed, so are JL/CX likely to help me out if there's a substantial delay?
2. Similarly, on the return between ticket 3 and ticket 1, I'm inclined to choose the AA flight for flight protection, though it's a 772 and there's still the risk of the old AA J seat.
3. Could fly AA both ways and explore F upgrade options (there's some availability)
4. Not a big deal to have two extra flights, but maybe there's a better OW routing option that I'm missing?

So, are there any tips or secrets that I might be missing in booking this type of itinerary? Any suggestions on a better routing? I've looked at options of flying out of HKG back to the US, but they add $1000 or more which is difficult to justify given the variety of options available.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:04 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dylanks
I'm looking to optimize a trip in April, in terms of cost, comfort, and tier points (I credit to BA). Basically I need to fly from PHX to Tokyo, Beijing, and Hong Kong, before returning back to the US. Total trip is approximately two weeks, with a few days in Tokyo, four days in Beijing, and then a week in Hong Kong.

I could fly paid business class via work, though I do have a placeholder award on AA in First for the TPAC segment as insurance in case prices go up too much before I make a booking.

The main challenge seems to be there there are no good options for a 3-segment business class trip for something like NRT/HND-PEK-HKG-NRT/HND, or even for a 2-segment trip such as NRT/HND-PEK-HKG (or other permutations).

So the seemingly best option I've found is:

PHX-(AA)-LAX-(JL)-NRT (ticket 1)
HND-(JL)-PEK (ticket 2)
PEK-(JL)-HND (ticket 2)
HND-(CX)-HKG (ticket 3)
HKG-(CX)-NRT (ticket 3)
NRT-(AA or JL)-LAX-(AA)-PHX (ticket 1)

Ticket 1: ~$4000
Ticket 2: ~$1345
Ticket 3: ~$1419

Possible concerns:
1. Layover at HND between ticket 2 and ticket 3 is 3.5 hours. I've heard that departures from PEK can be very delayed, so are JL/CX likely to help me out if there's a substantial delay?
2. Similarly, on the return between ticket 3 and ticket 1, I'm inclined to choose the AA flight for flight protection, though it's a 772 and there's still the risk of the old AA J seat.
3. Could fly AA both ways and explore F upgrade options (there's some availability)
4. Not a big deal to have two extra flights, but maybe there's a better OW routing option that I'm missing?

So, are there any tips or secrets that I might be missing in booking this type of itinerary? Any suggestions on a better routing? I've looked at options of flying out of HKG back to the US, but they add $1000 or more which is difficult to justify given the variety of options available.
You don't need ticket 2. Issue ticket 1 with stopovers in Tokyo. Or price the entire itinerary out as a single ticket and fly on Cathay Dragon between PEK and HKG.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
You don't need ticket 2. Issue ticket 1 with stopovers in Tokyo. Or price the entire itinerary out as a single ticket and fly on Cathay Dragon between PEK and HKG.
My main reason for the separate tickets was that I found it priced up quite a bit less as multiple tickets when searching via ITA Matrix. It does look like combining tickets 1 and 2 may be roughly the same price. As soon as I try to add Dragon Air into the mix and make it one ticket, the options and pricing doubles. It looks like it won't price reasonably as one ticket with AA, CX, and JL together.

Last edited by dylanks; Feb 2, 2016 at 2:01 pm
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why dont you try this.

PHX-LAX-NRT (stop over) Ticket 1
NRT/HND-PEK (destination) Ticket 1

PEK-HKG (buy a seperate ticket one way)

HKG-NRT-LAX-PHX (return portion of ticket 1)

open jaw is the key here
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dylanks
My main reason for the separate tickets was that I found it priced up quite a bit less as multiple tickets when searching via ITA Matrix. It does look like combining tickets 1 and 2 may be roughly the same price. As soon as I try to add Dragon Air into the mix and make it one ticket, the options and pricing doubles. It looks like it won't price reasonably as one ticket with AA, CX, and JL together.
You could originate your ticket in YVR instead of PHX. Not sure about your dates, but YVR-LAX-HND-(stop)-PEK-(stop)-HKG-(stop)-NRT-YVR is ~US$4800 for some randomly chosen dates in April.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...=ONEWORLD;eo=e

Then buy a cheap PHX-YVR roundtrip.

Edit: You could also play around with originating in YEG to avoid the angled flat on NRT-YVR and potentially route through PHX on the return. It looks like it may be a few hundred dollars more.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Feb 2, 2016 at 10:34 pm
Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:22 am

Thanks for the suggestions!

Originally Posted by fumitani
Why dont you try this.

PHX-LAX-NRT (stop over) Ticket 1
NRT/HND-PEK (destination) Ticket 1

PEK-HKG (buy a seperate ticket one way)

HKG-NRT-LAX-PHX (return portion of ticket 1)

open jaw is the key here
I had tried a number of open jaw options, but they were pricing about $1500 higher than the itinerary above, in part because a one way business class ticket for PEK-HKG is typically more expensive than a return ticket.

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
You could originate your ticket in YVR instead of PHX. Not sure about your dates, but YVR-LAX-HND-(stop)-PEK-(stop)-HKG-(stop)-NRT-YVR is ~US$4800 for some randomly chosen dates in April.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...=ONEWORLD;eo=e

Then buy a cheap PHX-YVR roundtrip.

Edit: You could also play around with originating in YEG to avoid the angled flat on NRT-YVR and potentially route through PHX on the return. It looks like it may be a few hundred dollars more.
YVR and YEG are interesting options, thanks! The primary challenge I see with it is that it would probably require an overnight on the outbound as the earliest flight from PHX arrives fairly late.

Also, looking at the various seat options, it seems like the consensus is roughly:

JF F > CX F > AA F
JL J (flat) > CX J > AA J (flat) > JL J (angled) > AA J (angled)

It looks like there is some disagreement on whether the new JL J is better than AA F. I assume the service and food on JL is better, it looks like the AA F seat has more space. My fallback option is an award seat I booked in F on AA (LAX-NRT).
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by virmaior
I've used passbook. If memory serves correctly, (1) it's only explained in Japanese. (2) It only works for domestic flights. But it mostly involves getting the right url for the QR code to have it wind up in passbook.
I have my e ticket confirmation, tried to scan the QR code manually using the passbook however with no luck...
Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by ramops
I have my e ticket confirmation, tried to scan the QR code manually using the passbook however with no luck...
The QR code that loads the passbook QR code is different than the one you use to board ... (it was quite confusing the time i used it).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:53 pm

I have booked a flight on JAC to KOJ (from Yakushima). I'd like to book another ticket onto Osaka. I'm wondering 1) if they'll be able to combine my reservation (really just transfer my bag) and 2) how much connection time I'll need (particularly if they're unable to transfer the bag).

I called JAL in the US and the agent said he had no idea has JAC was a completely separate airline, and I'd have to call Japan. JAL's website does mention minimum connection time between the two airlines (20 minutes) but I'm guessing that's for flights on the same reservation.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by inspace
I have booked a flight on JAC to KOJ (from Yakushima). I'd like to book another ticket onto Osaka. I'm wondering 1) if they'll be able to combine my reservation (really just transfer my bag) and 2) how much connection time I'll need (particularly if they're unable to transfer the bag).

I called JAL in the US and the agent said he had no idea has JAC was a completely separate airline, and I'd have to call Japan. JAL's website does mention minimum connection time between the two airlines (20 minutes) but I'm guessing that's for flights on the same reservation.

Thanks in advance!
They should be able to check your bag through. 20 minutes is usually ample time in small Japanese airports (I've had 10-15 min connections), but if you do need to get your bag out then you should probably allow around 40 mins to go out, get bag and go back in. But I'd feel confident they can check my bags through.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by inspace

Thanks in advance!
They should be able to check your luggage through. While a different airline, it is still part of the JAL group. Kagoshima airport only requires passengers to pass through security 15 minutes before departure, so 20 minutes MCT seems within reason as long your baggage is checked through.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Feb 4, 2016 at 9:11 pm
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
They should be able to check your bag through. 20 minutes is usually ample time in small Japanese airports (I've had 10-15 min connections), but if you do need to get your bag out then you should probably allow around 40 mins to go out, get bag and go back in. But I'd feel confident they can check my bags through.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They should be able to check your luggage through. While a different airline, it is still part of the JAL group. Kagoshima airport only requires passengers to pass through immigration 15 minutes before departure, so 20 minutes MCT seems within reason as long your baggage is checked through.
The connection I'm looking at is 50 minutes, so this sounds great. Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Questions about JL seat selection as an AA Plat (OW Sapphire):

I have flights in a couple weeks purchased from AA. One leg is JL 711 NRT-SIN, fare code S; AA website showed no seat assignment for it and told me to call JL. The aircraft appears to be a 763.

I called AA to get the JL record number, and used that on the JAL website. I was allowed to select a seat online, but their seat map showed me exactly one (!) available seat in all of Econ, so I took it.

I'm not sure whether that is supposed to propagate back to my flight info on AA; so far it has not.

I'm also not sure about possible upgrades to PE; as I understand it, JL will sell you one (if available) at the airport on NRT-SIN flights for JPY 10,000. But neither the JAL seat map nor the SeatGuru one marks any such section. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.