[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Subscribe
Quote: How does the class J upgrade work on a domestic flight? I seem to remember that I can only do it at the gate, but is any Y ticket OK for the 1000 yen upgrade? Mine is part of an AA award itinerary.
I haven't done this personally with award ticket but I believe you can do that at check in in Japan. But just to be sure you can give JAL office a call (or I can check with them them the next time I call)
Quote: I haven't done this personally with award ticket but I believe you can do that at check in in Japan. But just to be sure you can give JAL office a call (or I can check with them them the next time I call)
Tried calling a few times. JAL Shanghai office has no clue. AA Shanghai office has no clue either. If you could ask, that would be really helpful, thanks.
Quote: Tried calling a few times. JAL Shanghai office has no clue. AA Shanghai office has no clue either. If you could ask, that would be really helpful, thanks.
I am not in the US right now, I will definitely call them and ask in a couple of weeks though (not sure if you can wait that long though). But what's your alternative? Buying a class J ticket instead?
Well, at this point my alternative would be sitting in Y for ITM-NRT. It's part of an international award (NRT-YVR is C), so I don't want to buy a separate ticket and risk issues, but on the other hand, 10 across on a 777 isn't my idea of fun, so I'd like to step up, even if I have to pay to do it. I guess the root of the problem is that AA, for whatever reason, insists that they can't book domestic class J awards on JL.
Quote: Well, at this point my alternative would be sitting in Y for ITM-NRT. It's part of an international award (NRT-YVR is C), so I don't want to buy a separate ticket and risk issues, but on the other hand, 10 across on a 777 isn't my idea of fun, so I'd like to step up, even if I have to pay to do it. I guess the root of the problem is that AA, for whatever reason, insists that they can't book domestic class J awards on JL.
It's 9 across not 10 on NRT-ITM if that will make you feel better
9 across? Just wondering- is this an international-config 777? Or same as normal domestic 777 except for the 9 across Y seating?
Quote: 9 across? Just wondering- is this an international-config 777? Or same as normal domestic 777 except for the 9 across Y seating?
Yes usually the international config one with Solo, Shell Flat and Sky Shell seats. So there are 8 across in Y too. You could get JAL Suite and NEO if you are lucky
A long way from home (I'm normally to be found on the BA board) but am considering NRT stopover en route from LHR-SYD next Spring - partly cos good Avios redemption availability in business from NRT-SYD. Allowing for local bias, any thoughts on whether JAL or Qantas is a better bet on this route? Thanks for any help.
paying 1000yen to upgrade to class J on an award ticket is ok!!!!!!!!
Quote: paying 1000yen to upgrade to class J on an award ticket is ok!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the answer! Looks like I'll have to get to check-in early to pay for it, then.
Quote: paying 1000yen to upgrade to class J on an award ticket is ok!!!!!!!!
even with AA issued award?
Quote: even with AA issued award?
Well, I'm going to see for myself tomorrow morning.
Quote: Well, I'm going to see for myself tomorrow morning.
You probably will be fine. Let us know how it goes. Thanks
Quote: You probably will be fine. Let us know how it goes. Thanks
Worked just fine. It was indeed an int'l aircraft so I got Shell Flat for 953 yen. And that's the only odd part- I wasn't charged the full 1000 yen. Consumption tax subtracted out? Int'l connection discount?
Quote: Worked just fine. It was indeed an int'l aircraft so I got Shell Flat for 953 yen. And that's the only odd part- I wasn't charged the full 1000 yen. Consumption tax subtracted out? Int'l connection discount?
this one i have no clue..i've paid 1000yen everytime