Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by deant
Have a quick question. Wife and I have never flown JAL before so please forgive the question. Will be booking an award flight (AA miles) for LAX to Tokyo for next April (to see the cherry blossoms). Looks like JL061 (LAX - NRT) is typically available for 2 F seats. The question is on the return. We will staying in Kyoto for a few nights before our return. Appears we have 2 choices. One is C on the 788 from Osaka to LAX and the other is F on a 77W from Tokyo to LAX (taking the train from Kyoto to Tokyo).

Have never flown on the 788 but the reviews do not seem to be that good for the JAL C product.

Can anyone provide a suggestion on which would be the better flight?
Take the Tokyo to LAX flight back home. The seats in Business on the 787 are not very good. You will feel like you are sliding off the seat. Just go to seat guru, and read all the comments about the 787. Its a great aircraft, just crappy seats.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:04 am

Can you cancel a domestic JAL flight if it's part of an international ticket?

Can I buy a Yokoso fare to replace one domestic leg, cancel my original domestic flight and avoid rebooking my entire international ticket and keep my return flight entact?

A little complex question here:

I currently have JAL ticket stock, S fare class tickets round trip from the US to Japan with stopover in Tokyo (3 flights one PNR: US-Japan, domestic flight to Tokyo, Tokyo to US. I want to change just the domestic flight to a different day. IACE travel agency says I would need to rebook the entire ticket for $400 and pay any fare difference since the domestic flight is embedded with the entire ticket which is considered international.

Is it possible to just cancel the domestic segment and call JAL to advise that I will take a different flight so that the Tokyo-US flight is not touched? I would buy a Yokoso fare ticket instead (or redeem Avios, the cost is about the same).

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Does the JAL booking accept for PNR scandic letters? Or do i have to use according to AY Plus name without scandic letters or according to passport machine readable name? Scandic letter is always a bit problematic, there are three ways to do booking.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
Does the JAL booking accept for PNR scandic letters? Or do i have to use according to AY Plus name without scandic letters or according to passport machine readable name? Scandic letter is always a bit problematic, there are three ways to do booking.
I think you would probably be better-off asking your fellow Scandic travellers? (What to do when airlines don't accept names other than regular A-Z alphabets)

Japanese, Taiwanese, HK passport have Kanji character names on it, but there are also fields for their A-Z roman alphabet equivalent, this roman alphabet equivalent would be the one appearing on the magnetic readable part of the passport, and would be the name to use for international ticket booking/FFP registration. There is no conflict at all.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Is your AY Plus version different from your passport version (machine readable line) of the Scandinavian characters? I would suggest to go by the passport version, but that might make it difficult to get your AY Plus registered. Depending on how big the difference is. Usually it is the last name that is the key. Airlines normally have "translation" of ä,ć,ř,ö,ĺ, etc so in the end they should be able to handle any of the normal transcriptions.
A Scandinavian in Tokyo
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Is your AY Plus version different from your passport version (machine readable line) of the Scandinavian characters? I would suggest to go by the passport version, but that might make it difficult to get your AY Plus registered. Depending on how big the difference is.
AY Plus name is

Änönymöys John Doe /in FFP
Anonymous John Doe / in PNR
and
Aenoenymoeys / Passport machine readable zone.

I did dummy booking on JAL website, it accepted my Scandic name.
Do I have to put my first and middle name together like JohnDoe?
Sorry, I just want to be exact before booking.
Than you!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
AY Plus name is

and

Than you!

FirstMiddle or First Middle are both acceptable, I've tried both.

But my past experience told me First Middle is just asking for trouble, reason being when you retrieve your booking / OLCI, it could be First Middle or FirstMiddle that you need to enter.

Say if you changed your flight, and want to retrieve the booking online, you might need to try 4 times before you can retrieve it, not to mention if you also changed the date that becomes 2^3=8, you would become very confuse and annoyed when you get an error message.

If you made the reservation as FirstMiddle, it would always be FirstMiddle no exception.

Never had any issue getting miles credited to both CX/JL FFP, with or without space.

Last edited by nshizuka25; Apr 19, 2015 at 3:28 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
AY Plus name is

and

Than you!
I think the "umlaut", as they would say in German, is not as problematic. As some of the less international characters, if the system accepts I would go with that on the booking.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:19 am

Questions

I haven't flown JAL in years but curious to know if I need to present a copy of my itinerary upon checking in or my passport should just fine.

Also, I have a flight to Honolulu but not for several months but I'm curious to know what to expect in J class. Like what meal service, amenity kits if any, and other details.

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by maortega15
I haven't flown JAL in years but curious to know if I need to present a copy of my itinerary upon checking in or my passport should just fine.
Your passport is usually sufficient. However, if your return ticket is not on the same itinerary, JL may ask you to provide proof of your return flight leaving your destination unless you are a citizen or have right of residency at your destination country, for instance, in your case here, the U.S. In such a case, it would be best to have a printed copy of your return ticket with you.

Also, I have a flight to Honolulu but not for several months but I'm curious to know what to expect in J class. Like what meal service, amenity kits if any, and other details.

Thanks.
JL has a special business class service to Hawaii called "BEDD for Resort". You can see the Spring Menu here: http://www.jal.co.jp/inflight/inter/...503_201505.pdf

More info here on: JAL BEDD service
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Guava
Your passport is usually sufficient. However, if your return ticket is not on the same itinerary, JL may ask you to provide proof of your return flight leaving your destination unless you are a citizen or have right of residency at your destination country, for instance, in your case here, the U.S. In such a case, it would be best to have a printed copy of your return ticket with you.

JL has a special business class service to Hawaii called "BEDD for Resort". You can see the Spring Menu here: http://www.jal.co.jp/inflight/inter/...503_201505.pdf

More info here on: JAL BEDD service
Thanks. My return ticket is on the same itinerary so I guess I should be fine.

And thanks for the menus. The food sounds good. Hows the catering ex-NRT and ex-HNL? I'm thinking about the Japanese option ex-NRT and Western option ex-HNL. Hows the udon noodles snack option?

Also, what else should I expect in JAL Business class? It's my first time flying JAL in Business and I' really looking forward to it. My past flights on JAL have been in Economy. Do they give out amenity kits on flights to and from HNL? If so, what kind?

And since I'll be flying on their 767 with the suites, just curious if they have the underbelly camera.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:24 pm

I will be connecting in NRT from LAX in F then on to TPE in C. I have about a two hour connection. What would be the best F lounge to visit? I was in a JAL NRT F lounge last year with a CX to JAL F flight to LAX last year and was not that impressed by the lounge. I'm not sure if I was in the main one or not. I saw one trip report with a restaurant in the lounge, I don't remember seeing anything like that in the lounge I visited. There was just a food area along with a sushi area with a cook. I am hoping our two hour connection will be enough to shower and get our 15 minute massage.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kannon99
I will be connecting in NRT from LAX in F then on to TPE in C. I have about a two hour connection. What would be the best F lounge to visit? I was in a JAL NRT F lounge last year with a CX to JAL F flight to LAX last year and was not that impressed by the lounge. I'm not sure if I was in the main one or not. I saw one trip report with a restaurant in the lounge, I don't remember seeing anything like that in the lounge I visited. There was just a food area along with a sushi area with a cook. I am hoping our two hour connection will be enough to shower and get our 15 minute massage.
There are 3 F lounges, the main one with the most features. It is on the left hand side on the 3rd (main) floor if you walk towards gate 61. There is a smaller lounge up stairs in the same location open in the morning hours. It does not have showers or massage. There is a lounge in the satellite building as well. But go for the main lounge, it is not outstanding as first class lounges go. But certain hours of day there is a sushi counter in operation for a fairly good snack.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:27 pm

Add me to the JAL newbie list. We are booked LAX-NRT on an Aadvantage award and are waiting for the return to open up for our return, SIN-LAX. JAL has a one hour connection in NRT - is that doable without having to run like Forrest Gump (assuming no SNAFU on the first leg)?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:04 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

How can I request seats (Y class, no status) for a flight departing from NY? Doesn't seem like it's possible on the website until <24 hours from the flight, and telephone operators have given me the run 'round.

Thanks,
BmB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.