Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Have anyone tried the new Cathay lounge in Haneda? I got the wonton noodles highly recommended, but are they enough to skip the JAL F lounge?

Or should I just lounge hop a bit....
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Question Using JAL miles to book Emirates

Hi! New to JMB.

I want to book FRA-DXB round-trip in Emirates F. I will transfer in miles from Starwood Preferred Guest to cover this.

Regarding Emirates availability - if I can see available seats in Expert Flyer does this mean that they would be bookable using JMB? I really want to be sure of this before I transfer.

With regard to the mileage amount required. FRA-DXB-FRA is 6,027 miles according to Great Circle Mapper. The award chart shows that 6,000-8,000 miles itinerary costs 100,000 miles. Am I interpreting this correctly? (i.e. count entire round trip miles, i.e. both out and return segments, and read the total distance on the award chart)? I want to make sure I don't transfer too many miles.

Thanks - apologies for the silly questions, and thanks in advance for your help.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by User Name
Hi! New to JMB.

I want to book FRA-DXB round-trip in Emirates F. I will transfer in miles from Starwood Preferred Guest to cover this.

Regarding Emirates availability - if I can see available seats in Expert Flyer does this mean that they would be bookable using JMB? I really want to be sure of this before I transfer.

With regard to the mileage amount required. FRA-DXB-FRA is 6,027 miles according to Great Circle Mapper. The award chart shows that 6,000-8,000 miles itinerary costs 100,000 miles. Am I interpreting this correctly? (i.e. count entire round trip miles, i.e. both out and return segments, and read the total distance on the award chart)? I want to make sure I don't transfer too many miles.

Thanks - apologies for the silly questions, and thanks in advance for your help.
1. make an EK skywards account.

2. Login and check for SAVER level (you must check on a roundtrip basis not a oneway award) if there is saver level then you are okay.

GC map shows me 6027miles also....it will cost you 100k in F 63k in C

Just to avoid extra questions. You need to call JAL to issue the ticket (cannot do it online) and there is YQ and Tax.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:07 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by fumitani
1. make an EK skywards account.

2. Login and check for SAVER level (you must check on a roundtrip basis not a oneway award) if there is saver level then you are okay.

GC map shows me 6027miles also....it will cost you 100k in F 63k in C

Just to avoid extra questions. You need to call JAL to issue the ticket (cannot do it online) and there is YQ and Tax.
FYI JAL uses IATA TPM so the total sector miles is 6,028. Doesn't make a difference in this case but it may in case someone read this post later.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Have anyone tried the new Cathay lounge in Haneda? I got the wonton noodles highly recommended, but are they enough to skip the JAL F lounge?

Or should I just lounge hop a bit....
I would do lounge hop, as they are very close (JAL Gate 112 and CX Gate 114), you won't be losing much time by walking between the 2 lounges. This January, I walked out from JAL lounge and head to CX lounge to have a peek, before heading to my boarding gate 113, it was a very short distance.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Is there much point trying to book JL domestic J vs domestic Y for 2-3 hour flights?

From the few trip reports I’ve seen the differences are very marginal – a slightly better seat (2-4-2 instead of 3-3-3?), no IFE, and the F&B seems to consist of just a cup of juice? Even the domestic JAL lounges look pretty miserable – windowless, tired and almost no f&b?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smit0847
Is there much point trying to book JL domestic J vs domestic Y for 2-3 hour flights?

From the few trip reports I’ve seen the differences are very marginal – a slightly better seat (2-4-2 instead of 3-3-3?), no IFE, and the F&B seems to consist of just a cup of juice? Even the domestic JAL lounges look pretty miserable – windowless, tired and almost no f&b?
FYI, you don't get lounge access based on domestic Class J ticket alone
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Traveling F award Ord -Nrt JL F. Transfer Limo? Bus? Or Taxi.+JL J Hnd-Gmp Hnd F lounge? ( same day travel)
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:47 pm

I am flying business class ORD-NRT and NRT-SAN. It is part of an AA award so I am flying first class for the US domestic segments. I have the Citi AA Exec card, AMEX Plat, Priority Club, and I can get Lounge Pass if it helps. Am I able to access the Sakura lounge at NRT since I am flying business class? Is that the best club I can access at NRT?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ewick12
I am flying business class ORD-NRT and NRT-SAN. It is part of an AA award so I am flying first class for the US domestic segments. I have the Citi AA Exec card, AMEX Plat, Priority Club, and I can get Lounge Pass if it helps. Am I able to access the Sakura lounge at NRT since I am flying business class? Is that the best club I can access at NRT?
If you are flying business class on NRT-SAN, you have access to Sakura Lounge at NRT based on class of service.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by thaidai
Traveling F award Ord -Nrt JL F. Transfer Limo? Bus? Or Taxi.+JL J Hnd-Gmp Hnd F lounge? ( same day travel)
I would recommend the limousine bus (despite the name it is just a normal bus) from Narita to Haneda. 3.100 yen for the trip. They run quite frequently all day. A regular taxi will set you back 25.000 yen or more. And not be much faster than the bus. There is a train option as well, but unless you have a light carry on only, take the bus.

On the strict reading of the rules, your class of travel from Haneda will decide the lounge you can use. But bring your boarding pass from the inbound F flight, you can always try.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: US/AA, UA, AS, BA, IHG, HGP
Going to be flying the SFO-HND route at the beginning of March. JAL F

What's the recommended mode of transport to the Shinjuku area? I'm leaning towards limo bus since there's 3 of us w/ luggage.

Does anyone know if we can access the JAL 1st lounge at HND upon arrival if we are not connecting to anywhere? Basically would just like to check it out.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TMKTakot

What's the recommended mode of transport to the Shinjuku area? I'm leaning towards limo bus since there's 3 of us w/ luggage.

Does anyone know if we can access the JAL 1st lounge at HND upon arrival if we are not connecting to anywhere? Basically would just like to check it out.
the F lounge airside so no access and arrival lounge is closed
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMKTakot

With luggage the bus is probably the best option, the train would require one change, or maybe two depending on route. There are fixed prices for a taxi to Shinjuku. Some need prebooking others can be hailed at the airport. Price is 7000 to 8000 yen, plus highway toll. I think it is plus toll but can't remember.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
JAL global club. my understanding is that once i qualify to join the club, i can pay 5000 JAL miles to renew.

is it also true for JAL global club premier? thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.