Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:38 pm

couple of questions about the JAL cards

JP

I've been following your very helpful posts in FT, and I just got my JMB account. Now I am looking at the various JAL CCs. I know they have one particularly for US residents but they have at least 3 or 4 more for those with Japanese bank accounts - JAL Club A, JAL Club A- gold, JAL Diners Club, (?)American Express.

I was wondering what are the features, benefits, costs of these cards? Are the bonuses, shopping "miles", sector miles included in the FOP program? Finally is it very difficult to get a Japanese bank account/CC? I live in the US but I have relatives and friends who live in Japan. Thank you.

Last edited by traveller101; Apr 23, 2012 at 9:41 pm Reason: edited a sentence
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:46 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Welcome to FT traveller101!

I am not an expert, but I'd say it is difficult to get the japanese bank account if you are not japanese. You will need to be in japan on a non-tourist visa for a period of more than 3 months . Even then you may not be accepted by all banks.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:09 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by traveller101
JP

I've been following your very helpful posts in FT, and I just got my JMB account. Now I am looking at the various JAL CCs. I know they have one particularly for US residents but they have at least 3 or 4 more for those with Japanese bank accounts - JAL Club A, JAL Club A- gold, JAL Diners Club, (?)American Express.

I was wondering what are the features, benefits, costs of these cards? Are the bonuses, shopping "miles", sector miles included in the FOP program? Finally is it very difficult to get a Japanese bank account/CC? I live in the US but I have relatives and friends who live in Japan. Thank you.
Welcome to the JAL Forum, FT and the JMB program, traveller101!

As stated by intuition, Japanese bank accounts are not easy to get if you don't live there. Even if you can somehow set up an account in Japan, you might have some hard time getting your credit card application approved without some kind of credit history.

The JAL Card in Japan provides a lot more benefits than JAL affiliated credit cards in the overseas market. Although miles earned through JAL Card purchases are not counted towards your JMB status (i.e. no FOPs on redeemable miles earned through purchases), you get other unique benefits such as first flight bonus in every calendar year, JAL Card targeted promotion such as extra FOP bonus, redemption discounts, and bonus miles on JAL flights.

For a quick comparison of fees of JAL Cards, you can refer to the Japan region website below (Japanese only)

http://www.jal.co.jp/jalcard/index03.html
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
I have really, really a newbie question.

I am based out of BOS. Travel fairly frequently to East Asia. So far, on UA (don't even get me started about Delta...)

157K last year, 95% East Asia and India. Perhaps closer to 200K this year.

I am not ready to ditch 1K, but I am considering a second airline. And it cannot be Delta. JAL seems the obvious choice.

1- How easy it is to earn qualification miles? Do most of their fares carry 100%?

2- One you become an elite, do you get upgrades? How does it work? I read their Web site, and from what I can understand, they are phasing this out... this is a deal-breaker for me, because the only way to C is through an upgrade, company policy.

3- How easy is it to redeem?

4- Anything ressembling E+? Or only sarcophagus-sized seats? When upgrades cannot be obtained...

5- What would be the best features JAL offers that would entice customers to move their business to them? Besides smiles -always appreciated, of course, but anything beyond that?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skidooman
I have really, really a newbie question.

I am based out of BOS. Travel fairly frequently to East Asia. So far, on UA (don't even get me started about Delta...)

157K last year, 95% East Asia and India. Perhaps closer to 200K this year.

I am not ready to ditch 1K, but I am considering a second airline. And it cannot be Delta. JAL seems the obvious choice.

1- How easy it is to earn qualification miles? Do most of their fares carry 100%?

2- One you become an elite, do you get upgrades? How does it work? I read their Web site, and from what I can understand, they are phasing this out... this is a deal-breaker for me, because the only way to C is through an upgrade, company policy.

3- How easy is it to redeem?

4- Anything ressembling E+? Or only sarcophagus-sized seats? When upgrades cannot be obtained...

5- What would be the best features JAL offers that would entice customers to move their business to them? Besides smiles -always appreciated, of course, but anything beyond that?
Welcome to the JAL forum, skidooman!

Most discounted fares don't earn 100% miles. Usually 50% and 70%. More details can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15661228-post29.html

With your travel pattern, it shouldn't be hard to earn elite status. You probably just have to travel 2-3 roundtrips to become JMB Crystal if you book under fares that earn 70% of miles. But I would suggest to aim for JMB Sapphire for the first year though. You will know why once you receive the package

Yes, they are discontinuing upgrade points. The only option to upgrade on international flights will be using your redeemable miles. No more elite only upgrade instruments.

In general it's pretty easy to redeem for award as long as you are flexible. Of course redeeming F award will be considerably harder than redeeming for an economy award for example.

No free upgrade for elites on international flights. There are premium economy seats but you will need to book with booking class Y/W/E to seat there unless there's an op-up. But JAL does reserve some seats for elite priority seating in Y, e.g. exit row.

Not sure for other people, but for me, it's the way they treat passengers even when they are traveling in Y without any status. They will take good care of you. That's what it kept me to stick with them for this long Maybe other's can chime in as well
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
This might be a little bit of a guessing game, but I need to buy a specific flight combo (award connection) and the prices are absolutely outrageous for no apparent reason. Here's what I'm trying to do:

7/2/12 JL91 8AM HND-GMP showing C9 J9 D9 X9 I0 Y9 B9 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
7/9/12 JL950 8AM ICN-NRT showing C3 J3 D3 X3 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G0

My question is about JL releasing seats. JL91 on 7/2 is virtually empty, but they're only selling some very pricy seats, which really kinda negates the DFW-NRT RT award on AA. RT total would be nearly $1300USD just between TYO-SEL on those flights. When will JL release some of the lower fare buckets? It seems like we're within a reasonable window now, but I'm getting worried about getting a fair fare. Any insight appreciated...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: FT
online check in. i have read around that it is not possible to online check for a domestic JAL flight having booked with BA miles. is this correct.

if so, for a domestic flight from FUK to HND, how much time do you really need to check in. 45 minutes before flight? flight leaves at 8:00am.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blakepilot
This might be a little bit of a guessing game, but I need to buy a specific flight combo (award connection) and the prices are absolutely outrageous for no apparent reason. Here's what I'm trying to do:

7/2/12 JL91 8AM HND-GMP showing C9 J9 D9 X9 I0 Y9 B9 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
7/9/12 JL950 8AM ICN-NRT showing C3 J3 D3 X3 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G0

My question is about JL releasing seats. JL91 on 7/2 is virtually empty, but they're only selling some very pricy seats, which really kinda negates the DFW-NRT RT award on AA. RT total would be nearly $1300USD just between TYO-SEL on those flights. When will JL release some of the lower fare buckets? It seems like we're within a reasonable window now, but I'm getting worried about getting a fair fare. Any insight appreciated...
I am not sure. I never look at HND-GMP but I did look at HND-HKG. It seems like these HND flights are really hard to get because they know they can sell the seats. A quick random check for May and June flights shows similar availabilities. Lowest booking class I saw available was K.

I would go for the NRT flight if you want to go ahead to plan the rest of your travel. Otherwise, I am afraid waitlisting is the only way to go for now.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
online check in. i have read around that it is not possible to online check for a domestic JAL flight having booked with BA miles. is this correct.

if so, for a domestic flight from FUK to HND, how much time do you really need to check in. 45 minutes before flight? flight leaves at 8:00am.
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/regulartime.html
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/flow/flow.html

They only request you to pass security 15 min before departure and arrive at the gate 10 min before departure. If you are connecting from a domestic flight to an international one, cut-off time is 30 min before departure. So for domestic only flights, you don't have to check-in 45 min before flight.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
Welcome to FT traveller101!

I am not an expert, but I'd say it is difficult to get the japanese bank account if you are not japanese. You will need to be in japan on a non-tourist visa for a period of more than 3 months . Even then you may not be accepted by all banks.
I`d change that "May not be accepted" to "will not be accepted"
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by JALPak
Welcome to the JAL forum, skidooman!

Most discounted fares don't earn 100% miles. Usually 50% and 70%. More details can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15661228-post29.html

With your travel pattern, it shouldn't be hard to earn elite status. You probably just have to travel 2-3 roundtrips to become JMB Crystal if you book under fares that earn 70% of miles. But I would suggest to aim for JMB Sapphire for the first year though. You will know why once you receive the package

Yes, they are discontinuing upgrade points. The only option to upgrade on international flights will be using your redeemable miles. No more elite only upgrade instruments.

In general it's pretty easy to redeem for award as long as you are flexible. Of course redeeming F award will be considerably harder than redeeming for an economy award for example.

No free upgrade for elites on international flights. There are premium economy seats but you will need to book with booking class Y/W/E to seat there unless there's an op-up. But JAL does reserve some seats for elite priority seating in Y, e.g. exit row.

Not sure for other people, but for me, it's the way they treat passengers even when they are traveling in Y without any status. They will take good care of you. That's what it kept me to stick with them for this long Maybe other's can chime in as well
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I took a further look. Their premium economy looks really nice. But, at a price tag of $3,300 from BOS, I am affraid I am busting my dept's dept budget. Too bad... that really looks nice. And E+ is a major part why I stuck with United, but this is much nicer.

Well, you can be sure I will keep a close eye on them.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skidooman
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I took a further look. Their premium economy looks really nice. But, at a price tag of $3,300 from BOS, I am affraid I am busting my dept's dept budget. Too bad... that really looks nice. And E+ is a major part why I stuck with United, but this is much nicer.

Well, you can be sure I will keep a close eye on them.
Actually there's no premium economy service on 787.
Old May 1, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Yokosu fares

Hi there - I need some help with a Yokosu fare booking. I must say at the outset it was incredible value compared to buying each sector individually!

I have booked HIJ - HND - ISG later this month with a return from ISG to HND in early June.

1. The JAL agent (in London) told me that seat reservation is not possible for these bookings - is that correct? I have BAEC Silver status so have this option on BA bookings, but this did not change anything in the agents mind? How can I make sure that me and the OH get to sit together, in an exit row?

2. The agent told me that "if" J class is available, this can only be done on the day at check in at the airport? I cannot do this before hand.

3. These bookings are not visible on JAL.com and there is no MMB available for the booking. So apart from an E-ticket, I have no other information.

Is all this true and is this the price you pay for booking the Yokosu ticket? It seems a little archaic for the 21st Century in a country that likes to lead to the way in technological innovation.

Can anyone suggest a way of achieving the 3 objectives above? @:-)
Thanks in anticipation.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by JALPak
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/regulartime.html
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/flow/flow.html

They only request you to pass security 15 min before departure and arrive at the gate 10 min before departure. If you are connecting from a domestic flight to an international one, cut-off time is 30 min before departure. So for domestic only flights, you don't have to check-in 45 min before flight.
great thanks. but am i correct about the no online check in with a BA issued reward ticket?
Old May 1, 2012, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Hi there - I need some help with a Yokosu fare booking. I must say at the outset it was incredible value compared to buying each sector individually!

I have booked HIJ - HND - ISG later this month with a return from ISG to HND in early June.

1. The JAL agent (in London) told me that seat reservation is not possible for these bookings - is that correct? I have BAEC Silver status so have this option on BA bookings, but this did not change anything in the agents mind? How can I make sure that me and the OH get to sit together, in an exit row?

2. The agent told me that "if" J class is available, this can only be done on the day at check in at the airport? I cannot do this before hand.

3. These bookings are not visible on JAL.com and there is no MMB available for the booking. So apart from an E-ticket, I have no other information.

Is all this true and is this the price you pay for booking the Yokosu ticket? It seems a little archaic for the 21st Century in a country that likes to lead to the way in technological innovation.

Can anyone suggest a way of achieving the 3 objectives above? @:-)
Thanks in anticipation.
I believe you meant Yokoso fare?

1. Seat assignments can be done online. Just get the JAL PNR and login to pick your seats. Seat reservations for domestic flights open up 2-2.5 months before departure. Given your flight is later this month, you should be able to do it online now.

2. Yes, you can only upgrade to Class J at check in in Japan due to fare rules. It's not because of IT limitations.

3. You need a JAL PNR. You can enter your BA PNR on checkmytrip.com to retrieve your JAL PNR if you have not already done so.

Enjoy your flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.