Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For F meals, check the menu on JAL's website, then you can see what your option is. For the Japanese F meal there are no additional sub selections for Japanese. For Western you would also have to choose starter and main course.
The real question is whether I NEED to order Japanese in advance. Wait times are intolerable, in my view. Put differently, am I at risk of being forced to eat Western if I don't pre-reserve? Pardon my ignorance.

Jamie

EDIT - I'm on hold, figure I might as well try and get through to res and make the request.

Last edited by jamienbaker; Apr 19, 2017 at 9:24 am
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
The real question is whether I NEED to order Japanese in advance. Wait times are intolerable, in my view. Put differently, am I at risk of being forced to eat Western if I don't pre-reserve? Pardon my ignorance.

Jamie

EDIT - I'm on hold, figure I might as well try and get through to res and make the request.
I mostly don't pre order. I always get my first choice om those occasions.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:46 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I have had that for a cancelled JL marketed flight (HEL-NRT) . I did not even have to request it. Just came automatically. Not for the connection flight that was not cancelled (CPH-HEL) but I never flew.
Wonder if they would give me the miles and FOPs if I have a same day turn around and flights are canceled due to weather. They may just refund me in that case but I don't want the money LOL
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
Wonder if they would give me the miles and FOPs if I have a same day turn around and flights are canceled due to weather. They may just refund me in that case but I don't want the money LOL
​​​​​​
In my case I got to my destination, just on Lufthansa. In your case you will remain at your origin, I would guess refund and no miles.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:19 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
For JGC Premier/Diamond, there's the annual gift selection (http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/flyon/sentaku/)

How does this work? I assume most options are limited to Japan region member only right? So for flyers based in NY will the best option be coupon for lounge and 2000 yen?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
For JGC Premier/Diamond, there's the annual gift selection (http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/flyon/sentaku/)

How does this work? I assume most options are limited to Japan region member only right? So for flyers based in NY will the best option be coupon for lounge and 2000 yen?
Or spouse status
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:57 pm
jix

Or spouse status
That requires spouse to be a JGC member as well no? I don't see it as valuable unless it can be given to no status spouse member.

For the eCoupon, how does it work? Can it be applied to online booking on jal.com?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
That requires spouse to be a JGC member as well no? I don't see it as valuable unless it can be given to no status spouse member.

For the eCoupon, how does it work? Can it be applied to online booking on jal.com?
No, you ask JMB Diamond and JGC Premier. JMB Diamond gifting doesn't require JGC. Wouldn't it be nice if they would at least let u gift JMB Sapphire if your spouse doesn't have JGC? Or even better, gift anyone in your redemption group and not just spouse.

The e JAL Points are for Japan region only. The JPY2,000 coupons are not e coupons.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jix

Please note that it 25 or 13 coupons of 2000 yen. So 50.000 yen for Diamond and 26.000 yen for JGC Premier. You will need to mail them in, or go to a ticket office to spend them for flights, a bit cumbersome but it works out.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:27 pm
jix

Please note that it 25 or 13 coupons of 2000 yen. So 50.000 yen for Diamond and 26.000 yen for JGC Premier. You will need to mail them in, or go to a ticket office to spend them for flights, a bit cumbersome but it works out.
Oh ok, I assume these can't be used over the phone? So if there is a flight I want to book I would have to go to airport and ticket it there?

Also, how does the lounge coupon work? Is it the same coupon for bringing additional guests with me into the (first class) lounge or is this for the guest traveling alone in sakura lounge only?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
Oh ok, I assume these can't be used over the phone? So if there is a flight I want to book I would have to go to airport and ticket it there?

Also, how does the lounge coupon work? Is it the same coupon for bringing additional guests with me into the (first class) lounge or is this for the guest traveling alone in sakura lounge only?
Can you actually select those options this year? Thought you have to wait till end of the year to select your 2018 options. And options may change year over year.

JPY 2,000 coupons can be used over the phone. https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/coupon/jalcoupon/

The lounge coupon is for Sakura Lounge or designated lounges only. Not access to F lounge.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:04 pm
jix

Can you actually select those options this year? Thought you have to wait till end of the year to select your 2018 options. And options may change year over year.

JPY 2,000 coupons can be used over the phone. https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/coupon/jalcoupon/

The lounge coupon is for Sakura Lounge or designated lounges only. Not access to F lounge.
No, I'm 3014 FOP (JL 222 FOP) away from Premier but will hit it later this year with a 7k FOP trip. I have another 20k FOP trip that I'm deciding whether to credit to JL and get Diamond or to AA which will retain gold.

That's why I'm trying to see how much of an incremental difference there is between the top 2 JL tiers. Most of the benefits are for Japan based flyers so it's a bit disappointing.

So the lounge coupon is only good for sakura lounge, is there any way to bring 3rd 4th guest into first class with me? Other than trying to find someone with status or F ticket who can also bring guest.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
No, I'm 3014 FOP (JL 222 FOP) away from Premier but will hit it later this year with a 7k FOP trip. I have another 20k FOP trip that I'm deciding whether to credit to JL and get Diamond or to AA which will retain gold.

That's why I'm trying to see how much of an incremental difference there is between the top 2 JL tiers. Most of the benefits are for Japan based flyers so it's a bit disappointing.

So the lounge coupon is only good for sakura lounge, is there any way to bring 3rd 4th guest into first class with me? Other than trying to find someone with status or F ticket who can also bring guest.
No, you can't. Would need to ask someone else to guest them. Just get Diamond if you want to use the spouse status gifting. But as I said there's no guarantee that you will be given the same options in Dec.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, JB, AF, BA, QF, JL, CX
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Newbie questions, regarding upcoming JFKNRT and HNDJFK flights, booked in revenue J with mileage upgrades to F.

1) I have an overwhelmingly strong preference for Japanese food. I see it advertised that I may pre-select meals, but I don't see actual choices or know if it is even necessary. Worth calling?

2) I'd like to swap from my JL FF # to my AA number at check-in, as I have no need for JL currency. However, having applied JL miles to fund my upgrade, will the system accept my AA number? I can obviously find out at the airport, and I won't accept a downgrade just to earn AA credit, but I'd still be interested in knowing in advance.

Thanks - Jamie
I have a similar question.
I am also thinking of doing a miles upgrade but am not sure whether to commit my JMB number at purchasing time of tickets if available is sparse. Can you switch FF accounts on some/all the sectors before the flights?

Thanks
jY
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
The e JAL Points are for Japan region only. The JPY2,000 coupons are not e coupons.
JL will convert eJAL to JMB miles when changing region.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.