NRT-TPE availability?

Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
NRT-TPE availability?

My wife has had a TPE-NRT-[USA] AA ticket for a long time. The return leg NRT-TPE is on Wed 01 Feb. Recently we decided that her nephew should travel back to Australia - ideally connecting on the same flights.

Can anyone with JAL knowledge comment on why getting the NRT-TPE segment for said nephew (miles or money) has turned out to be so difficult? And whether availability (miles or paid fare class less than full Y) might appear closer to the travel date? As an aside - ALL airlines (DL UA included) are offering the same $ price NRT-TPE.

Onward award connections from TPE to Oz are seemingly equally tight, but experience indicates CX will eventually open up some inventory. And the paid ticket prices are at least sort of reasonable.

Thanks - wandering is difficult at the moment.

Fred
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Starting Jan 19th is Chinese new year. Many Taiwanese tend to travel Japan/South Korea or southeastern Asia during this period (Ultra-high season) and early Feb is about time to come back to work. Thus, it is not surprising not able to get an award/cheap seat. It may be late if you want to buy a cheap ticket at that date, but I believe higher fare class should be available since the capacity between TPE-NRT is really big.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:37 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cchuang1980
Starting Jan 19th is Chinese new year. Many Taiwanese tend to travel Japan/South Korea or southeastern Asia during this period (Ultra-high season) and early Feb is about time to come back to work. Thus, it is not surprising not able to get an award/cheap seat. It may be late if you want to buy a cheap ticket at that date, but I believe higher fare class should be available since the capacity between TPE-NRT is really big.
chinese new year is jan 23rd not 19th
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Yes, true. However, note that the Chinese start their New Year celebration and travels a few days before the actual new year ("Year 30, year 29..." for "day before new year, 2 days before new year, ...").

wandering_fred, I did a search on for your week of travel, and availability doesn't look too bad. If your family can take an overnight layover, you can take the next morning flight JL805 on Feb 2.

There is also good availability on CX's sole NRT-TPE flight, but it does depart early at 3:30 PM. You didn't say where your wife is originating, but if they can catch the early 9:35 AM DFW-NRT flight, they can connect to CX 451 on the same day.

A last option would be to look at upgrading the tickets to business class, as there is availability for NRT-TPE in business class almost every day.
Code:

[BA] NRT-TPE 2 x Y seats 01-30 + 5 days
  ================================
  MO-01-30: 
  TU-01-31: 
  WE-02-01: 
  TH-02-02: CX451, JL805
  FR-02-03: JL805
  SA-02-04: CX451

[BA] NRT-TPE 2 x J seats 01-30 + 5 days
  ================================
  MO-01-30: 
  TU-01-31: JL809, JL805
  WE-02-01: CX451, JL809, JL805
  TH-02-02: CX451, JL809, JL805
  FR-02-03: CX451, JL809, JL805
  SA-02-04: CX451, JL809, JL805
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Originally Posted by JALPak
Sorry that's the date I go back Taiwan for the new year

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.