Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
I have AA award flight (booking class U) SYD-NRT for September and was able to book seats as soon as ticket was confirmed (last November). I did need to ring JL and quote my AA PNR to retrieve my JL PNR. After that online seat allocation was perfect.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:28 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by grussellt
I have AA award flight (booking class U) SYD-NRT for September and was able to book seats as soon as ticket was confirmed (last November). I did need to ring JL and quote my AA PNR to retrieve my JL PNR. After that online seat allocation was perfect.
U is eligible for advanced seat selection
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I have an AA booked award on JL from CTS to HND.

When I go to the website, I enter all the info and it seems to recognize my reservation. It then asks me to hit the button to select the reservation for more details and, when I do that, I get an error message

I'm not so concerned about seat selection (I figure on a domestic 777 for a short flight, it'll be lousy no matter what I select). I just like to view my reservation and make sure all is in order.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I have an AA booked award on JL from CTS to HND.

When I go to the website, I enter all the info and it seems to recognize my reservation. It then asks me to hit the button to select the reservation for more details and, when I do that, I get an error message

I'm not so concerned about seat selection (I figure on a domestic 777 for a short flight, it'll be lousy no matter what I select). I just like to view my reservation and make sure all is in order.

Any thoughts?
Domestic flights' seats aren't open for selection till 2-2.5 months before departure
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
My wife and son recently flew JL from Japan to the US on AA-issued tickets with AA flight numbers. Could not select seats on either the JL or AA websites, but one phone call to AA was all it took to get the seats we wanted. JL phone reps said that they could not touch a reservation that was made through AA. FWIW, these tickets were paid business class in the deepest discount category (requiring 21 day advance purchase). Not sure what the booking code was (maybe D?)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
My wife and son recently flew JL from Japan to the US on AA-issued tickets with AA flight numbers. Could not select seats on either the JL or AA websites, but one phone call to AA was all it took to get the seats we wanted. JL phone reps said that they could not touch a reservation that was made through AA. FWIW, these tickets were paid business class in the deepest discount category (requiring 21 day advance purchase). Not sure what the booking code was (maybe D?)
Maybe booked in I? The problem might be caused by the AA coded JL flights. If it is a JL coded flight, you should be able to select it via JAL website.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
I also booked an 'old mile' upgrade Econ>biz ORD>NRT ongoing NRT>BKK RT...
After flying in Biz the 6 hr connecting flight NRT>BKK will be in econ code N...code K returning. Realize that I cannot chose my seats until 72 hr prior to departure, noticed that the BKK>NRT has been selected...but not the outbound to BKK...on a recent Finnair flight I was given the option to purchase an upgrade to exit row seating, much appreciated !
So far, I cannot find an equivalent option with JAL ? is there one ???
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by aafreq
I also booked an 'old mile' upgrade Econ>biz ORD>NRT ongoing NRT>BKK RT...
After flying in Biz the 6 hr connecting flight NRT>BKK will be in econ code N...code K returning. Realize that I cannot chose my seats until 72 hr prior to departure, noticed that the BKK>NRT has been selected...but not the outbound to BKK...on a recent Finnair flight I was given the option to purchase an upgrade to exit row seating, much appreciated !
So far, I cannot find an equivalent option with JAL ? is there one ???
JAL currently does not offer an option to purchase extra legroom seats.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I'm in a similar situation.

Booked for a JAL Codeshare via AA.

I called AA and they said they couldn't assign seats since it's a codeshare.

I called JAL and they told me they can't touch reservations made by AA.

Also read on JAL's website about the 3-day advance seat selection - but if AA can't get me a seat and JAL can't touch my reservation - do I just get to wait until I check in to see what's left over?

I'm on a L (Government/Military class) ticket.

I even tried to call up my reservation on JAL and their system can't find me - of course it doesn't help that the 2 people I've spoke to at AA told me that my PNR "should be" the same for the JAL flight.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by drakkenkorin
I'm in a similar situation.

Booked for a JAL Codeshare via AA.

I called AA and they said they couldn't assign seats since it's a codeshare.

I called JAL and they told me they can't touch reservations made by AA.

Also read on JAL's website about the 3-day advance seat selection - but if AA can't get me a seat and JAL can't touch my reservation - do I just get to wait until I check in to see what's left over?

I'm on a L (Government/Military class) ticket.

I even tried to call up my reservation on JAL and their system can't find me - of course it doesn't help that the 2 people I've spoke to at AA told me that my PNR "should be" the same for the JAL flight.
Welcome to the JAL forum and FT, drakkenkorin!

Can you ask JAL to look up for your PNR with you AA-issued e-ticket number? I would be a bit worry if JAL said they couldn't locate your record.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
Welcome to the JAL forum and FT, drakkenkorin!

Can you ask JAL to look up for your PNR with you AA-issued e-ticket number? I would be a bit worry if JAL said they couldn't locate your record.
When I rang them up, the agent was able to see my reservation, but she told me that since it was booked through AA, they are unable to make any changes to it. But she was able to see it.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by drakkenkorin
When I rang them up, the agent was able to see my reservation, but she told me that since it was booked through AA, they are unable to make any changes to it. But she was able to see it.
You should ask her for your JAL PNR. With that you might be able to assign seats on JAL website.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Just recently I thought that I 'saw' JAL will be providing 'extra legroom' seating on some flights...
"JAL currently does not offer an option to purchase extra legroom seats."

Any truth to this rumor ?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by aafreq
Just recently I thought that I 'saw' JAL will be providing 'extra legroom' seating on some flights...
"JAL currently does not offer an option to purchase extra legroom seats."

Any truth to this rumor ?
JAL has premium economy services on select international routes but those are completely different products. There are seats in Y with extra legrooms such as exit rows and bulkheads but JAL does not offer the option to pre-select these seats with a surcharge
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA GLD, UA, AR
i am about to change my HND-JFK award ticket for NRT-BOS-JFK, so i can travel a little bit later and also try the fabulous 787 , am i going to be able to select seats in advance for the NRT-BOS leg if i get my JAL PNR?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.