Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by mster
Exact same issues here. I can pull up my reservation on the JAL site, but it doesn't show either my NRT-SGN or SGN-NRT flights, which are the only JAL flights on the itinerary. Anyone find a solution? Is calling AA / JAL the only way to get seats assigned?
If you can see the booking on JAL's website but not the JAL flights, then call up AA and ask if there's something screwed up in the reservation. Otherwise, you should be able to see those flights there.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
I'm having a hard time selecting 2 seats on JAL route

NRT-HAN AA codeshare, JL operated Economy seat on a 787-900

EF show row 47 available, and bunch of rows that are blocked (46, 46 and 51 to 55), AA can not see 47, so I have to select the last 2 seat available on row 51 (middle seats).
I tried to call JL US, no answer, JL AR same thing, lnly JL MX answered but they were unable to touch/select seats because is an AA codeshare. I didn't have a problem with SGN-NRT on a 787-800 on the same PNR.
I'm on the same route with the same issue. AA shows no seat assignment online, but it showed they assigned me 47A outbound/47K return on the email confirmation. I'm not a huge window seat fan and would rather have the aisle seat next to it (or preferably somewhere closer to 27). Calling AA didn't get me anywhere either.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by ginoa724
I'm on the same route with the same issue. AA shows no seat assignment online, but it showed they assigned me 47A outbound/47K return on the email confirmation. I'm not a huge window seat fan and would rather have the aisle seat next to it (or preferably somewhere closer to 27). Calling AA didn't get me anywhere either.
Steps are pretty simple:

1. call AA and ask for JAL record locator
2. go to JAL's american reigion website
3. go to "view my reservations"
4. enter JAL record locator number and your details
5. edit there.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: American, SPG, Marriott
I got into my reservation JAL website
Shows no seats available but confirmed economy plus
So do they not come available until the 72 hour prior window?
Can I call JAL?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by virmaior
Steps are pretty simple:

1. call AA and ask for JAL record locator
2. go to JAL's american reigion website
3. go to "view my reservations"
4. enter JAL record locator number and your details
5. edit there.
The problem is that the JL segments aren't showing up at all on the JL site when the flights are AA codeshare flights. I can see my AA flights just fine on the JL site using the JL locator, just not the JL flights.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by thurman52
I got into my reservation JAL website
Shows no seats available but confirmed economy plus
So do they not come available until the 72 hour prior window?
Can I call JAL?
They may just be blocked, and then become available at 72 hours for OLCI. But you can try to give JAL a call, and see what they can do.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:35 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They may just be blocked, and then become available at 72 hours for OLCI. But you can try to give JAL a call, and see what they can do.
This is AA codeshare. He will need to talk to AA not JAL.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
This is AA codeshare. He will need to talk to AA not JAL.
Yes, sorry my thinking was not quite there it seems.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
In my experience, the "manage my booking" feature differs between the JAL US site and the JAL JP site.

For my upcoming flight, I can only see my partial reservation with just my US legs on the JAL US site, however, when I switched to JAL JP, I can see the full trip

So for those who are having trouble seeing your JL operated flights, change the website region to Japan, English and look for the "My International Booking" link
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, JB, AF, BA, QF, JL, CX
AA site for checkin codeshares JL flight

I broke a BOS-SYD, SYD-LAX ticket and was issued a AA codeshare JL metal for BOS-NRT on JL7/AA7375 and a JL 771 for NRT-SYD, and AA 73 for SYD-LAX. I used the JAL site and JL record locator and could only see my JL flight to choose seat. At 72 hr, I could check in the JL flight, I decided to call JL. The phone rep told me to go through AA and I replied that I had already done that on AA and I could only see the AA flight when I check. however, she told me to use the check in button at the top left of the screen, and lo and behold, when I clicked on it,I got moved to the same JL checkin site, but this time, the JL7 flight appeared as well and I was able to checkin and issue the boarding pass. I thought I knew but this is great.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Had issues JAL & AA assigning a seat for me, after a few calls was told that AA codeshares booked in class G,N,O are ineligible for advance seat assignments even with status.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:47 pm

Thumbs up

On my most recent trip booked as AA codeshare, AA's link to OLCI finally worked.

Trying the old way (get JAL PNR, go to JAL's OLCI, input info there) had never worked for me.

Once in to the JAL OLCI, you can work part-way through the process, get to seat selection, and once selected, drop without completing OLCI (if you don't want to - I figure I'll be at the business class counter at the airport anyway). JAL will save your seat selection.

This also allowed immediate seat selection for the return leg even though that was far more than 72 hours away.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Everytime I have flied JL metal on AA codeshare, I have tried using the JL PNR but the only legs that show up on the JL website are the AA metal ones.
Any suggestions?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Focke
Had issues JAL & AA assigning a seat for me, after a few calls was told that AA codeshares booked in class G,N,O are ineligible for advance seat assignments even with status.
Here is what I got returned when trying to pre-assign a seat
Please note that there are some restrictions because the reservation made by other than JAL' reservation system.
It might not be updated.
It might not be shown all.
Unable to assign or change your seats through JAL home page.
Please ask your travel agents or airlines you asked.
If you made the reservation on other than JAL home page at Japan region, please call JMB award reservations and services.

Since I am in "O" class I assumed that the above was the case. I did however think that PLT status would have given me some benefit
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:17 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by token385
Here is what I got returned when trying to pre-assign a seat
Please note that there are some restrictions because the reservation made by other than JAL' reservation system.
It might not be updated.
It might not be shown all.
Unable to assign or change your seats through JAL home page.
Please ask your travel agents or airlines you asked.
If you made the reservation on other than JAL home page at Japan region, please call JMB award reservations and services.

Since I am in "O" class I assumed that the above was the case. I did however think that PLT status would have given me some benefit
Unlike CX, fare rules trump status in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.