Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:47 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by AA956
i am about to change my HND-JFK award ticket for NRT-BOS-JFK, so i can travel a little bit later and also try the fabulous 787 , am i going to be able to select seats in advance for the NRT-BOS leg if i get my JAL PNR?
You might be able to get a more definite answer on the AA forum. But I believe so. At least AA should be able to assign you a seat.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: AA GLD, UA, AR
Originally Posted by JALPak
You might be able to get a more definite answer on the AA forum. But I believe so. At least AA should be able to assign you a seat.
AA staff told me that they would only be able to make a request to JAL, but they say they cannot directly select the seat for me :S
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by AA956
i am about to change my HND-JFK award ticket for NRT-BOS-JFK, so i can travel a little bit later and also try the fabulous 787 , am i going to be able to select seats in advance for the NRT-BOS leg if i get my JAL PNR?
My experience is that yes, you can select seats. I'm flying BOS-NRT-BOS next month on AA and BA awards and have selected seats.

Get your JL PNR from AA, then select your seats online using the JL web site. (This works fine for J seats; I'd assume, but can't be certain, that it also works for Y.)
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:28 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I am flying AA 5907 (aka JL65, SAN-NRT) on January 7, 2013. Just got off the phone with AA CSR, was able to select seat with no problem. In the beginning she was not sure if it would work, but it did.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA GLD, UA, AR
i am now ticketed on JL8, through AA, and they could select a seat for me
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:29 pm

Just ticketed a AA codeshare operated by JL ticket for family and when login to JAL website using JL PNR, I could only see the first flight operated by CX It's not showing the other 6 flights including one operated by JL. Oh well
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:19 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by JALPak
Just ticketed a AA codeshare operated by JL ticket for family and when login to JAL website using JL PNR, I could only see the first flight operated by CX It's not showing the other 6 flights including one operated by JL. Oh well
Hmm, that's not very nice. Are you logging in through the same regional site from where you bought the ticket (I assume North America)? Have you tried the Japan site?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Hmm, that's not very nice. Are you logging in through the same regional site from where you bought the ticket (I assume North America)? Have you tried the Japan site?
I can retrieve the first 2 flights, which includes the JAL flight, on the Japan site. But the 4 other AA flights are still missing.

But I can't do seat selection on the Japan site as usual because I didn't book in Japan. It refers me to the regional site which does not display the JAL flight I have tried both HKG and US sites and got the same results unfortunately...
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:15 am

Angry JL/AA codeshare... Seat assignment

I bought an one way ticket from HKG-LAX (1-stop in NRT) in economy class departing on Jan 8. The HKG-NRT leg uses JL flight number while NRT-LAX uses AA flight number (codeshare). I am a PLT with AA and wanted to earn more AA miles.

I have JL record locator and an AA record locator for the itinerary. I was able to pick seat on JAL's website for the HKG-NRT using the JL record locator, but it doesn't let me do the same for the NRT-LAX segment with both record locators. I can, however, pull the entire itinerary out (HKG-LAX) on JAL's website.

I called to both JAL and AA trying to get a seat on the long haul flight. AA rep tells me they don't have a separate JL record locator for me, they are unable to submit the seat request without charging me US$25; JAL rep tells me I will not be able to select a seat by calling anyone, on JAL or AA website, and through my agent. I cannot do online check in for the NRT-LAX leg either (I am already checked in for HKG-NRT). My only option is to check in at airport on Jan 8 and wish I have enough luck to not get a seat in the middle... The flight seems to be really full.

This is frustrating... Wondering if anyone has experienced this before? And do I have any other ways? Definitely don't want to get stuck in the middle seat or pay more $ or miles to move higher. Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Yes, its difficult to do seat selection on AA codeshare. You can only request a seat with AA and not JL as the inventory is with AA. There is no JL record locator as its not a JL booking but an AA one. JL will only 'know' of your existence 24 hours before flight when AA hands in their reservations to JL.

Why did not not book the entire reservation with AA.. ie from HKG to NRT as well? You may not get 100% miles with JL ..

I take it that you did not book the reservation with aa and therefore the agents want to charge you for the 'service'.. which should be free IMO. Try calling another agent and just give the AA PNR and do your seat selection again. Or else request aisle/window with the agency. If you booked through a travel agent, they can do it of course.

Currently from what I can from the seat map, there are only middles seats available. You might have better luck at HKG airport.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jan 7, 2013 at 8:33 am
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Yes, its difficult to do seat selection on AA codeshare. You can only request a seat with AA and not JL as the inventory is with AA. There is no JL record locator as its not a JL booking but an AA one. JL will only 'know' of your existence 24 hours before flight when AA hands in their reservations to JL.
That's not true. I recently booked a ticket that involves AA, JL and CX and all flights are AA coded on aa.com. I was able to obtain three different PNRs, one for each operating carrier.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:52 am

When I booked JAL through AA, I was able to select seats by phone with AA, but JAL had no record of any of them. I was still able to get aisles on all but one however. This was some time ago, and I don't think JAL even had online checkin yet. But I found that out of NRT, many local passengers did not book seats in advance and most were assigned at the airport. So upon checkin at HKG, you may have some luck.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I have booked JL seats as well through AA. I called AA to get the JL record locater, and went onto the JAL website to pick my seats. The seat assignments were confirmed. Try again?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
Ah too late.

I had the same problem. I was holding an AA ticked for codeshare flight using JAL metal, and was not able to assign seat.
If you can see reservation on AA site, chances are you will be able to check in online. You have to initiate check in process on AA site and it will rediret you to JAL. You can do it 3 days in advance.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by aces_high
Ah too late.

I had the same problem. I was holding an AA ticked for codeshare flight using JAL metal, and was not able to assign seat.
If you can see reservation on AA site, chances are you will be able to check in online. You have to initiate check in process on AA site and it will rediret you to JAL. You can do it 3 days in advance.
How do you do it 3 days in advance? I went to http://www.aa.com/checkin and pulled up the reservation with my PNR. No option for me to check in the JL operated codeshare flight at T-72. Do I have to wait till T-24 as it is AA coded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.