Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Another Dreamliner Emergency Landing - JL (and ANA) ground 787s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Dreamliner Emergency Landing - JL (and ANA) ground 787s

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Another Dreamliner Emergency Landing

This time in Japan, pax evacuated via slides. Smoke in cabin.

http://news.sky.com/story/1038642/dr...rgency-landing

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:37 pm Reason: retitle thread / maintain OP title
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by KansasMike
This time in Japan, pax evacuated via slides. Smoke in cabin.

http://news.sky.com/story/1038642/dr...rgency-landing
I'm sure glad Jeff has been pushing the 787 as the plane that will save the company. I guess he is now down to the network.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Yeah I don't think I am gonna go out of my way to fly on one of these birds until they figure out what is going on. I'll stick with the 747/767/777 for now. Hope these teething problems get sorted out soon.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
I'm sure glad Jeff has been pushing the 787 as the plane that will save the company. I guess he is now down to the network.
Who gets to choose whether the IFE starts with the "new Chicago operations center" video or the "787" video?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
787 just made emergency landing

Watching CNN INT & they report a JAL 787 just made an emergency landing in Japan. Sure is a game changer. If anyone has more info???? Wonder when they will finally ground these little toys
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
On my last flight from MCO to SFO, several of the people sitting near me made rather loud comments about safety concerns when the 787 video was playing. Person behind me said "I will not step foot on that plane until it stops catching fire". Somewhat in jest, but still very interesting how bad the 787 reputation is becoming. But I do recall the 777 having similar birthing pains.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
The reporter on CNN INT (different feed then what's showing in the US) just mentioned he was in a UA 787 last week that experienced some electrical problems but the pilot continued on to ??? And called them "teething problems"
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:46 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
This was the last straw for me...I'm normally not one to cave in to the fear mongering, but I just don't feel the appeal of flying this plane right now...just gave up a confirmed upgraded upcoming segment with the 787 to a 777...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Wonder when they will finally ground these little toys
New aircraft models commonly have these sorts of technical problems on introduction.

Remember the A380 wing cracks?

Remember the A380 Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engine problems?

No need for a media-inflamed mass freak out yet.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Just got off with the 1K line and the very nice agent moved my LAX-IAH (on the 787)-JFK to the non-stop JFK-LAX with no change fee or anything. Booked it in C and I'm in C on the PS flight. She was totally cool as I explained how I went out of my way to book the 787 in the first place. No way I'm getting on that machine. Probably still safer than Colgan tho'
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by eagle92
This was the last straw for me...I'm normally not one to cave in to the fear mongering, but I just don't feel the appeal of flying this plane right now...just gave up a confirmed upgraded upcoming segment with the 787 to a 777...
No sense of adventure, exiting via the slide would be cool!

And it would be better if they hand out a six pack to carry so we can be just like that FA from a couple years ago

Seriously, I would avoid flying it because the chance of it being grounded in the next 2 weeks is quite high. Other than that, once they get the initial issues resolved I expect this to be a great bird.

One year from now you will be delighted UA has these.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:03 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Just got off with the 1K line and the very nice agent moved my LAX-IAH (on the 787)-JFK to the non-stop JFK-LAX with no change fee or anything. Booked it in C and I'm in C on the PS flight. She was totally cool as I explained how I went out of my way to book the 787 in the first place. No way I'm getting on that machine. Probably still safer than Colgan tho'
I sent a tweet to @United as soon as the news broke on this latest incident and within 10 minutes they had responded and switched me from IAH-LAX-HNL (I had done that to experience the 787 on the IAH-LAX segment) to the IAH-HNL nonstop...now THAT is customer service folks. Good Stuff @United ^^^
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by eagle92
Did you mean you called and they let you switch from a 787 to 777 on your up coming segment?

EDIT: never mind!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
No sense of adventure, exiting via the slide would be cool!

And it would be better if they hand out a six pack to carry so we can be just like that FA from a couple years ago

Seriously, I would avoid flying it because the chance of it being grounded in the next 2 weeks is quite high. Other than that, once they get the initial issues resolved I expect this to be a great bird.

One year from now you will be delighted UA has these.
Agreed...it pained me to give up a confirmed upgrade on the new bird, but with my trip in the next two weeks and it being the first segment of a connecting flight I have to make I just couldn't chance it anymore.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
ANA just grounded their fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.