Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Do you purchase JAL duty free items onboard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:32 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

Just curious how many people actually purchase duty free items onboard on JAL flights. Long time ago JAL has plane models printed on the duty free catalog and those are the only items I had considered. But those are long gone from the catalog now. There's only once there's a handbag that's a good value and someone asked me me to get it for her but unfortunately it's sold out. So far I haven't spent anything on duty free onboard.

Have you guys bought anything from the catalog? Are there any items that are actually much cheaper onboard?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:54 am

I bought some neckties and a watch by converting some miles into coupons. The watch wasn't bad, about 15% off retail if I remember correctly.

(better for me to do so than let the miles expire )
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
I don't because I feel it is not cheap.
Especially now.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KIXman
I bought some neckties and a watch by converting some miles into coupons. The watch wasn't bad, about 15% off retail if I remember correctly.

(better for me to do so than let the miles expire )
um...I can understand if you are flying the domestic flights but if you are flying internationally, isn't luxury items cheaper overseas

Since you are JGC Premier, your miles don't expire KIXman! Don't waste your miles on coupons! Use them for your upgrade...oh well after you have used up your upgrade points (if you know how to use them this time )
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yuchung5
I don't because I feel it is not cheap.
Especially now.
That's my feeling. The MSRP of those luxury goods are way higher than say the same items in HK. Even after discount, I feel like I didn't get a good deal. But I usually see some people buying them on the plane so was just wondering if I was missing something
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
um...I can understand if you are flying the domestic flights but if you are flying internationally, isn't luxury items cheaper overseas
True, it can be cheaper overseas, but then again in this way I don't have to spend a yen from my pocket
I don't really get much days off to do award travel so better use some miles when it looks like there's a chance than just let them sit around.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KIXman
True, it can be cheaper overseas, but then again in this way I don't have to spend a yen from my pocket
I don't really get much days off to do award travel so better use some miles when it looks like there's a chance than just let them sit around.
But you could have upgraded your business travel flights too if corporate policy doesn't let you fly in C due to departure time or whatever reasons (assuming you are buying a JMB upgradable fare)

So people like you who have too much miles to spend will buy duty free onboard Geeze I am jealous
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

I wish they sell those 747 memorabilia items onboard. I would have bought them for sure. I suspect that might sell quite well too because not everyone can fly to HND and buy them.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:41 am

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
I wish they sell those 747 memorabilia items onboard. I would have bought them for sure. I suspect that might sell quite well too because not everyone can fly to HND and buy them.
I totally agree with you. On my last trip, I asked if they still sell plane models on board as I plan to give it as a gift to JALPak Jr. Too bad they don't sell anymore. As for the other stuff they sell on board, I don't buy them as much as possible as the mile to coupon conversion is not enticing.

If you want to get your hands on model planes and other JAL stuff, you can buy it at the JAL Shopping Site --> http://www.shop.jal.co.jp/jal-shoppi...000/index.html

Found out that the one below is their top selling item.

Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by musashino22
I totally agree with you. On my last trip, I asked if they still sell plane models on board as I plan to give it as a gift to JALPak Jr. Too bad they don't sell anymore. As for the other stuff they sell on board, I don't buy them as much as possible as the mile to coupon conversion is not enticing.

If you want to get your hands on model planes and other JAL stuff, you can buy it at the JAL Shopping Site --> http://www.shop.jal.co.jp/jal-shoppi...000/index.html

Found out that the one below is their top selling item.

Yes that's the item I tried to get. They were sold out at HND Blue Sky when I was there in Dec. KIXman couldn't get it for me either when he was in HND last time (store was already closed)

Too bad the online store only ships to Japan. I really wish they could sell this onboard

But since the old logo will be back, maybe they will just keep making this with the modernized logo

Does JALPak Jr. have the inflatable JAL toy plane they gave out onboard?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
Yes that's the item I tried to get. They were sold out at HND Blue Sky when I was there in Dec. KIXman couldn't get it for me either when he was in HND last time (store was already closed)

Too bad the online store only ships to Japan. I really wish they could sell this onboard

But since the old logo will be back, maybe they will just keep making this with the modernized logo

Does JALPak Jr. have the inflatable JAL toy plane they gave out onboard?
That's sad to hear. Well next time you come here, you can always request anyone of us here in Japan to buy it for you online in advance.

I am not sure if JALPak jr has the inflatable toy plane. Sometimes they fly via other airlines in coming to Japan especially if he comes with his siblings as it is cheaper compared to JL.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Normally I buy cigarette on flight as duty free for my colleague in Tokyo, which is quite big price difference (250 yen each vs 410 yen now)

Personally I don't smoke though.

For the CX that someone has a passion to hate I buy more from them, e.g. gift, chocolate, men skin care, etc, it comes very handy when I need to "compensate" some of my colleague being screwed when I am there (well not to mention I am a CX MPC which I get bonus miles ).

Overall I found it less embarrassing (may be it's a Chinese thing) to order skin care or something like that on flight than going into a shop
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Normally I buy cigarette on flight as duty free for my colleague in Tokyo, which is quite big price difference (250 yen each vs 410 yen now)

Overall I found it less embarrassing (may be it's a Chinese thing) to order skin care or something like that on flight than going into a shop
Ask Mrs. Li to get those for you if you are embarrassed by it

So cigarette is actually cheaper i see...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.