Italy transportation options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium

Greetings Italy gurus...

The future mrs. u2vox and I will be spending our two week honeymoon in Italy in late June / early July. I have a few questions about transportation / travel options in and between the places we'll be, and would love some advice or insight. Our general itinerary is set (mostly Starwood on points save for Cinque Terra):

3 nights in Venice @ Westin Europa & Regina
3 nights in Asolo @ Villa Cipriani
3 nights in Florence @ Westin Excelsior
3 nights in Cinque Terra @ La Mala, Vernazza
1 night in either Genoa or Milan - depends on where we ultimately leave from. Genoa is closer, but right now we have two C class award tickets on UA/LH with Milan as our return city; nothing has opened yet from Genoa

1. Best way to get from Venice airport to the Westin Europa & Regina?

2. Venice to Asolo: We'll begin a car rental at this point, as we're leaving Venice. Best location to rent from? A quick perusal of Hertz and Avis online leads me to believe there are a couple of "car rental row" areas to choose from: Viale Stazione and Piazzale Roma. Is one more convenient to the Westin Europa & Regina and/or easier for getting out of the city?

3. We'd like to have Englishp-based GPS with our car. Is there any way to assure this? Which car rental agencies? I don't see the option online when I create mock reservations at Hertz or Avis. Others to consider?

4. Florence: Parking at/or near the Westin Excelsior? Options to consider? We'll be taking a day trip or two from Florence to some of the outside towns, likely Siena, San Gimignano, etc. Turns out we'll be there over the Palio in Siena. Is this worth checking out? Would we be fools to try to drive there?

5. We intend to drop off the car after we're done in Florence and take the train to Vernazza. Assume this is the best option, as car really not necessary or even possible in Cinque Terra? Best location to drop the car off in Florence, close to the Westin Excelsior? We'll probably do that the night before we take the train to Cinque Terra.

6. We'll take the train from Cinque Terra to either Milan or Genoa for our departure flight the next day.

Any comments or insight on any of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:22 pm

A few things we learned from our recent trip...

We flew in to Venice from London and arrived at 10:30 at night! After getting your bags, walk straight to the bus ticket counter and get a Bus to Venice. Once there, you will catch a water taxi that runs the main channel. You hotel should be able to give you the station stop and directions from there. It was easy to do for us, even at that time of night.

We used Hertz for all three of our separate rentals while in IT. We did rent from Venice and drove to Vernazza (You will love Vernazza!) We picked the car up at Viale Stazione which is actually in the city of Mestre on the mainland. Just take the Water taxi form you hotel to the main station and catch the train from there to Mestre. The Hertz was on the right hand side of the building right across the street.

Parking will be a ..... in Siena during the Palio. I would take the bus if you were to try and go. The drive around Tuscany is great!

We stayed in Siena and day tripped up to Florence. Took the bus up in the morning and then late in the afternoon, took a bus out to the airport and picked up the rental. You might consider dropping off there and catch a bus from there to the train station. A train may even run from there - check that out.

Enjoy your trip. Wish were were going back...
Old Mar 20, 2008, 5:24 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by u2vox

3. We'd like to have Englishp-based GPS with our car. Is there any way to assure this? Which car rental agencies? I don't see the option online when I create mock reservations at Hertz or Avis. Others to consider?

!
The majority of GPS units have multiple language options. You will be able to choose English.

Ciao,
FH
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Mods - there are currently at least THREE other "I'm spending my honeymoon in Italy, what should I do" could we please merge them.

Thanks

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799062

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803274

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801187

Last edited by bdemaria; Mar 20, 2008 at 10:22 am
Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yamonjon
We flew in to Venice from London and arrived at 10:30 at night! After getting your bags, walk straight to the bus ticket counter and get a Bus to Venice. Once there, you will catch a water taxi that runs the main channel. You hotel should be able to give you the station stop and directions from there. It was easy to do for us, even at that time of night.
This is not correct. The Bus takes someone to Piazzale Roma in Venice. Based on your instructions (i.e., main channel - by which mean Grand Canal I assume? and notions of "station stops"), you didn't take a water taxi, you took the vaporetto (or water bus). A water taxi will take you directly - or is as close to physically possible to your final destination.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 nights in Venice @ Westin Europa & Regina
3 nights in Asolo @ Villa Cipriani
3 nights in Florence @ Westin Excelsior
3 nights in Cinque Terra @ La Mala, Vernazza
1 night in either Genoa or Milan - depends on where we ultimately leave from. Genoa is closer, but right now we have two C class award tickets on UA/LH with Milan as our return city; nothing has opened yet from Genoa
Stay in Milan, you will find Genoa disappointing

Water taxi - very expensive (100EU) but easy luxury appropriate for a honeymoon.

2. Venice to Asolo: We'll begin a car rental at this point, as we're leaving Venice. Best location to rent from? A quick perusal of Hertz and Avis online leads me to believe there are a couple of "car rental row" areas to choose from: Viale Stazione and Piazzale Roma. Is one more convenient to the Westin Europa & Regina and/or easier for getting out of the city?
Essentially the same place, neither is more convenient to the Westin.

4. Florence: Parking at/or near the Westin Excelsior? Options to consider? We'll be taking a day trip or two from Florence to some of the outside towns, likely Siena, San Gimignano, etc. Turns out we'll be there over the Palio in Siena. Is this worth checking out? Would we be fools to try to drive there?
Drive to Siena on Palio day - yes, it would be foolish, aggravating and ultimately a waste of time.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:27 am

I am sitting corrected...

Originally Posted by bdemaria
This is not correct. The Bus takes someone to Piazzale Roma in Venice. Based on your instructions (i.e., main channel - by which mean Grand Canal I assume? and notions of "station stops"), you didn't take a water taxi, you took the vaporetto (or water bus). A water taxi will take you directly - or is as close to physically possible to your final destination.
Thanks BD for pointing out my erors (it was late). From the airport, we did take the bus to Venice (Piazzale Roma as you point out) and from there caught a Vaporreto which ran the main channel. Much cheaper than a water taxi.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
The majority of GPS units have multiple language options. You will be able to choose English.
Thank you. I guess my question was more whether I can confirm a GPS (English or otherwise) ahead of time or not, and if so via which car rental agencies? I've seen/read that many rental agencies will offer a portable one to rent on site - but that sometimes they can sold out. I'd like to avoid that situation, if possible. Grazie...
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:23 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=bdemaria;9437755]Mods - there are currently at least THREE other "I'm spending my honeymoon in Italy, what should I do" could we please merge them.]

Respectfully, I've read all those threads, and mine is specifcally about transportation-related questions for an itinerary already set, not about "what should I do in Italy." Hence the new/separarate posting. Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Stay in Milan, you will find Genoa disappointing.
Thanks - to be clear, we are not intending to spend any time in either city, as it is merely a departure city for our return home depending on award ticket availability. I've already been to Milan, and neither of us have any real interest in Genoa - except that it's closer to Cinque Terre, so will allow us the most time there before taking the train later in the day. At most, we'll spend a late evening in one of these places and head out first thing in the morning.

Water taxi - very expensive (100EU) but easy luxury appropriate for a honeymoon.

Essentially the same place, neither is more convenient to the Westin.

Drive to Siena on Palio day - yes, it would be foolish, aggravating and ultimately a waste of time.
All excellent advice. Thank you. We'll take a bus if we decide to check out the Palio, per yamonjon's suggestion. Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BEST way is to book a water taxi through the hotel. Although it is very expensive- as it is your honeymoon- could really be worth it! Alternatively follow the directions above.
Piazzale Roma and Viale Stazione are pretty much the same place. In any event, the physical car will be at the parking garage near Piazzale Roma so it does not really matter.
I really doubt with a one way rental you will be able to rent a GPS. You may want to consider buying the software for your USA based GPS that has a map of Italy. In my experience the Garmin software maps of NE Italy are excellent. One FYI- DO NOT enter city center as your destination in Asolo- for some reason it takes you to a place that is no where near the centre, nor anything else for that matter. You can enter your destination as Piazza Brugnoli and then, once there, follow the signs to Albergo Cipriani- essentially up the street, to the left, and then straight on. Note if you are arriving on a Sunday the main square (Piazza) of Asolo will be closed from 0800A-1900. If you are arriving on a Thursday-Saturday evening the piazza is closed from 20:00-00:30. In this event, you need to drive PAST Asolo at the bottom of the hill to the main rotunda- and then turn right- follow the signs to Asolo CENTRO STORICO and then you can park near the hotel and the valet will assist you from there.
Absolute madness. Drop your car off at the airport in Florence and take a taxi into town. Driving to Siena during the Palio has caused a great laugh in my office this afternoon. Take a bus if you want to go at all- way too crowded in my opinion but I guess it depends what you like.
5. We intend to drop off the car after we're done in Florence and take the train to Vernazza. Assume this is the best option, as car really not necessary or even possible in Cinque Terra? Best location to drop the car off in Florence, close to the Westin Excelsior? We'll probably do that the night before we take the train to Cinque Terra.
See above. Train to Cinque Terra is fine. Personally I would not take the car to Florence even. I would see if you can drop the car off in Castelfranco Veneto or Bassano Del Grappa or at least Verona- and then take the train to Florence now that I really think about it.
6. We'll take the train from Cinque Terra to either Milan or Genoa for our departure flight the next day.
Fine. I personally think Genoa is quite a beautiful city- and for tourism much more interesting than Milano.
Any comments or insight on any of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
PM me if you have a specific question and I will do my best to answer if I can and have time and remember..
Have a wonderful honeymoon!
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Greetings Italy gurus...

The future mrs. u2vox a

5. We intend to drop off the car after we're done in Florence and take the train to Vernazza.
you could drive to Sienna. you may not be able to park much closer than your hotel room in florence.

Both the weston and the grand have valet parking. i have wondered how much the cost in today's euros. i last parked in florence in 1989. the cost in us dollars was 33. was a small car. the garage had a mile long list with every car type in italy for pricing.

the hertz rental agency is within walking distance of the florence hotels. the autoeurope(i think europacar) is right around the corner from the hotel. good place to pick up the car.

Last edited by slawecki; Mar 20, 2008 at 12:31 pm
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:01 pm
EMB

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Gold
Have stayed at the Westin E & R. Great location. They have a beautiful water taxi that I believe they run as a shuttle. 4 years ago, it was $35 euros per person. They pick you up at a dock outside the airport and deal with all your luggage. We felt so important on the beatiful teak boat zipping thru the canals. So I would suggest this, especially on your honeymoon.

I have done the water taxis and they are fine but not too easy with luggage.

Don't even think about a car in the Cinque Terre. Hike between the villages or take the local trains, which are very easy to navigate.

I agree with TravelSig, don't even take your car to Florence. I have a great guide for that area if you are interested.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EMB
I have done the water taxis and they are fine but not too easy with luggage.
Are you thinking about the private water taxis, or the public services? The private water taxis should handle the luggage for you.
For those who are interested, information in English including timetables and online booking for transportation to/from the Marco Polo venice airport can be found here:

http://www.veniceairport.it/page/ser...03&language=en
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:30 am

Italy?!

Like many others we are also going to Italy on our honeymoon but in this case the new Mrs is organising the trip. And we would like advice on:

We travel from Naples to Florence by train arriving 26th April. We would like to hire a car from the Station for 3 days.
We plan to leave the car at Genoa on 29th april at the Stazione Principe on Piazza Acaquverde

Our itineray is however more interesting:

Rome
Naples and Amalphi coast
Florence
Monte Carlo
South France

Any input would be great. Thanks

JCJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.