Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Rome airport FCO and CIA transportation

Rome airport FCO and CIA transportation

Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
We recently had a car reserved with RomeShuttleLimousine (who we had used successfully in the past), but our flight got all screwed up and we got in 6AM the day after we were supposed to get in. I had emailed the car service, but when we got to FCO no one was waiting for us, so we took an official taxi. Actually cost less and was just as quick. Luckily we knew where we were going as we had stayed at the same apartment in Trastevere in the past.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
geepmaley! I just sent you a PM.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Here we go, FR1 frequency in August is every 30'...
The good news: additional frequencies expected for the FR1 from September onwards, plus brand new equipment for the Leonardo Express. No details so far.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:20 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by geepmaley
...so we took an official taxi. Actually cost less and was just as quick. Luckily we knew where we were going as we had stayed at the same apartment in Trastevere in the past.
You got a cab from FCO to Trastevere for under 40? You must have been outside the walls with an honest driver!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:21 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alice11
Here we go, FR1 frequency in August is every 30'...
The good news: additional frequencies expected for the FR1 from September onwards, plus brand new equipment for the Leonardo Express. No details so far.
Thanks for the update.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by sk3
Thanks for the update.
More accurate: the additional FR1 services are expected to be on top of the standard pre-August frequencies, based on the new contract between Regione Lazio and Trenitalia.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:12 am

After a couple of dubious previous experiences at FCO, I got a recommendation on my most recent trip to try RomaShuttleAirport:http://www.romashuttleairport.it

They were fantastic and made the transfer into Rome the best I've experienced. The cost was very reasonable (especially when traveling with a number of people, as I was, which makes the Leonardo Express unfeasible). Domenico, the owner, personally picked us up at the airport with a large van. I paid in cash, but they also accept credit cards, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again and trust from for a reliable transfer into the city.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Leonardo Express is now 14 Euro and purportedly takes 31 minutes (plus up to 30 minutes waiting time). How long does a car service take to a hotel near Termini?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:27 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Leonardo Express is now 14 Euro and purportedly takes 31 minutes (plus up to 30 minutes waiting time). How long does a car service take to a hotel near Termini?
It obviously depends on traffic - so depends on time of day you're traveling, day of week, etc...

From the Westin Excelsior (not that far from Termini) to FCO in the early hours of a Sunday (in other words no traffic) ride took 35 minutes.

With "regular" traffic (midday weekday) it took about 50 minutes.

You could just email the car service and ask them how long they estimate the ride to take for your specific day/time...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
More Questions

I apologize for all the questions, but I have never been in Rome and want to be as knowledgable as possible.
I will be trying to go from FCO to Via Del Boschetto 144. I thought I would take the Leonardo Express train from FCO to Termini Station and walk a bit to the hotel, the train costing approx 22 euros, or $32. A taxi is 56.

Someone on Cruisecritic told me my calculations were wrong, that it would cost more than that. I was told that the Leonardo Express is 14 ? euros pp and that I should not go to Termini but twould have to take a local train to Cavour.
I am soooo confused. Does anyone know for sure which it is. I am not totally convinced to take the train and if that much difference would take the taxi, however if the station is Termini and the train is only $32. and not $40 for two as the person suggested, I would stick with the train.
I am also going to take the train to Citaviccia and plan to take a taxi to the Ostiense station and board the nonstop train to the port.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:25 pm
sk3
Suspended

For €40 you and your granddaughter can be met at the baggage area of FCO and taken directly to your hotel in a clean sedan with an English speaking driver.

This is the car service I've already informed you about and that is highly recommended by many. You don't have to prepay or provide a credit card to make the reservation and you can pay the driver in cash or with a credit card:
http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/...t-transfer.php

I do suggest you take this easy way - and for 2 people the cost is most likely equivalent to taking the express train plus a cab from Termini.

I understand wanting to stick to a budget, I do the same thing. But this is one area I don't scrimp. Arriving into FCO from the U.S. I'm exhausted (and cranky usually!) and pushing through the hordes of people to get to the train station, taking the train -which can be packed - and having to remain vigilant on the security of my belongings, and then surfacing at Termini - a truly crowded, crazy making place, then trying to find the official cabs vs the gypsy cabs, and lastly hoping the driver doesn't take me on the scenic route with his meter set to the wrong zone is just not worth saving a couple of bucks. IMO.

But if you're not budgeted for €40 for transportation into the city then do a search here for the threads that detail getting from FCO to the city. (You also have the choice of taking the FR1 train for only €8 or the SITBus shuttle, likewise €8, or you even could take a Cotral Bus for even less I think). RinR's site also has tons of info regarding transportion options. If you don't know how to do a search here, let us know, I'll be happy to give you instructions.

So what hotel did you choose?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:55 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by ontheway
...I will be trying to go from FCO to Via Del Boschetto 144. I thought I would take the Leonardo Express train from FCO to Termini Station and walk a bit to the hotel, the train costing approx 22 euros, or $32. A taxi is 56...
I think it's best to think in terms of Euros since who knows what the exchange rate will be next May.

The Leonardo Express is €14 per person. The fixed rate for an official cab from FCO to Rome (within the walls) is €40.

Walking from Termini to Via Del Boschetto 144 is seen here on Google (and you can go into street view and "virtually" walk most of it to get an idea what you'll be dealing with - if you don't know how to do that on Google I'll be happy to explain):
http://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Sta...w&mra=ltm&z=16

As you can see on the map, your hotel is much closer to the Cavour metro stop. If you choose to take the train from FCO and don't want to get a cab at Termini, then from the train station you could take the Metro B line "Laurentina" to the Cavour stop.

Since you two will be taking a cruise I assume you'll have more than carryon? If so, this should be something to factor into your decision making because you may encounter stairs or non-working escalators at the train stations and metro stops.

So the Leonardo Express alone will cost a total of €28 and if you don't take a cab onwards to your hotel you'll save €12 over the cost for the car service.

Edited to add info on the SITBus Shuttle:

Cheaper still is the SITBus Shuttle which you can take from FCO to Termini for €8 per person. So that's a €24 savings over the cost of the car service:
http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/

Last edited by sk3; Sep 6, 2011 at 9:12 pm
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
And I just found something new on Ron in Rome: Terravision Bus sevice from FCO to City Centre by Termini Station for 6 euros??? Is it possible??? It takes 55 minutes but doesn't make many stops so it sounds pretty good. Is it something new?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:34 pm
sk3
Suspended

...I am also going to take the train to Citaviccia and plan to take a taxi to the Ostiense station and board the nonstop train to the port.
To save you money: instead of paying for a taxi to the Ostiense station you could take the Metro B Line whose Cavour stop is very near your hotel, again in the direction of Laurentina, to the Piramide stop (which is linked to Ostiense station). If you had purchased the RomaPass then this cost would already be covered, or if you purchase individual metro tickets the cost is 1 per person.

Here's the link to ATAC's Metro and City Railways Map (you can see the FR5 which you'll take to reach Civitavecchia as well as the 2 metro lines). It's a pdf and would be worthwhile if you saved it to your computer, IMO of course!
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:36 pm
sk3
Suspended

And I just found something new on Ron in Rome: Terravision Bus sevice from FCO to City Centre by Termini Station for 6 euros??? Is it possible??? It takes 55 minutes but doesn't make many stops so it sounds pretty good. Is it something new?
I thought you could only take it if you arrived on certain airlines, and AA isn't one of them. (But the 8 SitBus Shuttle will take you no matter what airline you arrive on). But whatever info you're seeing on RinR's site is dependable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.