Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe including Turkey > Italy
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 11, 06, 7:57 pm   #1
dtc

Programs: AA Plat (Lifetime Gold), SPG Gold
Rome for Christmas- weather? shoes? other tips?

I'm going to be in Rome for about a week around Christmas of this year.

I've never been to Italy before - though I did spend a lot of time near Little Italy as a kid (I doubt that helps...)

What is the weather in Rome around Christmas typically like? I've gathered that it rarely snows. So - no need to pack a down jacket like going to NY for Christmas.

Will it be super ultra rainy - as in do I need Gore-Tex shoes if I plan on schlepping around all day?

Any thing else that I should know about Rome when packing (other than the crazy crime thing)?

Thanks!
dtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 06, 9:59 pm   #2
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

While it wasn't at Xmas, I was there in early Jan. two years ago and while it was cool (around 6 Celcius daytime high) there wasn't much rain, although I think I may have lucked out as the locals kept reminding me to take my umbrella. I wouldn't expect monsoon season, but steady drizzles.

A good, lined, waterproof windbreaker or jacket should do the trick along with study shoes to puddle jump and/or stand with the crowds at Piazza San Pietro. I forgot to pack gloves, an unpardonable sins for a Canadian I know , but something light for the hands will keep the cool off the early morning walks. Lastly, I'd recommend a scarf that not only will keep the cool from around you neck, it just might have the added bonus of making you local like a local.

Enjoy Roma!
Old Nov 11, 06, 10:48 pm   #3
dtc

Programs: AA Plat (Lifetime Gold), SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcook052
Lastly, I'd recommend a scarf that not only will keep the cool from around you neck, it just might have the added bonus of making you local like a local.
Heh. I doubt I'll ever look like a local given that I'm on Asian descent.

But I will wear sunglasses to at least try.

Thanks.
dtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 06, 8:23 pm   #4

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
My lined windbreaker was plenty warm at night in early February a few years ago. I recall it being warm enough for shirt only during the day. BTW, I'm usually warm or hot, not cold.

Regarding the rain, just bring a tiny umbrella for your suitcase. You probably won't need it, though.
roberto99 is offline   Reply With Quote