FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy-634/)
-   -   Have Italy Lira. Exchange for euros? Process. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/388145-have-italy-lira-exchange-euros-process.html)

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jan 10, 2005 10:33 am

Have Italy Lira. Exchange for euros? Process.

My wife found some Lira mixed with some papers. Is there a process for exchanging Lire to the Euro? Please advise. Sorry if posted in wrong spot. Thanks

Ocn Vw 1K Jan 10, 2005 2:54 pm

I'll move to an apt area of FT Travel for any available help to you. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.

Non-NonRev Jan 10, 2005 3:08 pm

IIRC in most of the twelve Euro countries, the national bank of the country in question is where you would need to make such an exchange. I believe that in some countries, you must go to the literal central office in the capital city.

Also IIRC, the different countries have varying lengths of time that thay will do the exchange - I think most will exchange 10 to 20 years after Euro day (January 1, 2002).

Some private exchange companies may also do the exchange (for a fee, of course).

daysleeper Jan 10, 2005 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
My wife found some Lira mixed with some papers. Is there a process for exchanging Lire to the Euro? Please advise. Sorry if posted in wrong spot. Thanks

Banks in italy will exchange old Lira til 2012.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jan 10, 2005 4:27 pm

Thank you. We will bring the Lira to Italy on our next trip.

slawecki Jan 11, 2005 6:19 am

Ask at your hotel desk where to exchange them. Last year, the Grand BAglioni in Bologna took mine as partial payment for the hotel room. I think the exchage rate is about 2175 to 1.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jan 11, 2005 7:35 am

That is a good idea.

Luca T. Jan 16, 2005 6:16 am

The ONLY and official exchange rate is 1937,26 lira for one euro
You can exchange this in all the banks till 2012 but this will take that the bank will send the money to the closest central national bank and only then they will give back to you euro.
It will be much faster if you directly go to the closest office of BANCA d'ITALIA (national bank) and exchange there

slawecki Jan 17, 2005 9:00 am

Lucia is closer than I was, but I just looked the rate up, and it is 1936.27 to the euro.

DasKitty Jan 19, 2005 11:02 am

might be possible to mail...

I had some Irish currency I needed converted, and it's possible to just mail to the central bank (here, the Banca d'Italia). Their web site should have the info about the process.

They'll make you send it registered mail, IIRC. But if you're not going to be in italy anytime soon......

good luck!

slawecki Jan 22, 2005 10:17 am

Originally Posted by DasKitty
I had some Irish currency I needed converted, and it's possible to just mail to the central bank (here, the Banca d'Italia). Their web site should have the info about the process.

They'll make you send it registered mail, IIRC. But if you're not going to be in italy anytime soon......

good luck!

I'm going to Italy on Feb 15. Mail the money to me.

LegacyCurrencies Feb 15, 2012 10:41 am

Bank of Italy has pulled the plug.

Regrettably the Italian central bank has decided not to accept exchanging ITL as of 7 December 2011:td:
I called a currency exchange house here in London, UK. They confirmed that this is indeed the case.

Extract from Bank Of Italy's website:

Exchange of lira notes and coins
With the introduction of euro notes and coins, those denominated in lire ceased to be legal tender at the end of the dual circulation period on 28 February 2002.

Pursuant to Article 26 of Decree Law 201/2011, published in Gazzetta Ufficiale no. 284 of 6 December 2011, "by way of derogation from Article 3, paragraphs 1 and 1 bis, of Law 96/1997 and Article 52-ter, paragraphs 1 and 1 bis, of Legislative Decree 213/1998, lira banknotes, notes and coins still in circulation shall lapse and be assigned to the Treasury with immediate effect".

Accordingly, as of 7 December 2011 such banknotes and coins may no longer be exchanged at the branches of the Bank of Italy.

The original pledge was to exchange ITL's for euros until 29 February 2012. One way for the Italian Government to save money, I guess. I'm not sure if they legally can get away with it though.
Even Greece still honours their old drachmas. (Until 1 March 2012)

Hawk Circle Feb 15, 2012 12:26 pm

If you can't exchange, then hold on. If pundits predicting demise of the Euro Zone are accurate, the lira might be back someday.

flugvergnugen Oct 2, 2013 11:04 am

Cleaning up I just found a bunch of Lire (along with some of still-exchangeable Schillings...). Guess I'm out of luck, right?

(Note to self: clean up more often ;) ).

Ghentleman Oct 2, 2013 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen (Post 21541792)
Cleaning up I just found a bunch of Lire (along with some of still-exchangeable Schillings...). Guess I'm out of luck, right?

Link
So only collectors value now... The Italian economy thanks you (they need it!).