Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Olbia to Palau Bus

Olbia to Palau Bus

Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Olbia to Palau Bus

I note there's a reasonably frequent bus service from Olbia Airport to Palau Ferry Terminal. I've got a holiday to La Maddalena booked and this seems a great way to get there.

Does anyone have any experience of the bus? I think it's under €5, takes an hour. Are the buses reliable versus the timetable? And are they often too busy to take everyone?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by DocWatson
I note there's a reasonably frequent bus service from Olbia Airport to Palau Ferry Terminal. I've got a holiday to La Maddalena booked and this seems a great way to get there.

Does anyone have any experience of the bus? I think it's under €5, takes an hour. Are the buses reliable versus the timetable? And are they often too busy to take everyone?
It depends on when you are going. There are seasonal tourist buses, but just the public transportation bus during off times. It's not possible to say without knowing when you are going.

Once or twice a month, just like like many transportation services in Italy, there is some type of interruption. There have been 2-3 interruptions in the last month or so. In general, public transportation is very good about being on schedule in Italy (compared for example, to the USA), except when they are not, so just have a back up plan. That could include having familiarity with the schedules of the several different bus services that run during high season, as well as having the numbers of car services or taxis that will get you there if there is an interruption.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Ah, yes, that would have been helpful information. Going end of August, to Palau on the 21st and back to Olbia on the 28th. What is the different between seasonal tourist buses and public transport? We are looking for public transport really.

And what do you mean by interruption?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:24 am

Ah, yes, that would have been helpful information. Going end of August, to Palau on the 21st and back to Olbia on the 28th. What is the different between seasonal tourist buses and public transport? We are looking for public transport really.

And what do you mean by interruption?
The regional bus company runs all year long. There are private companies like Turmotravel, Digitur, Caramelli, that run buses from June to September to profit from the high season with increased number of visitors. They are slightly more expensive than public transportation, which I think is only a few euros.

You should have some idea of a back up plan for any form of transportation because of irregularities like a strike. For example, if you plan on taking a train in NYC or on Long Island there is a significant chance that it will be broken down and not running. Transportation in Italy is much more reliable. Strikes happen, but because things are more modern, they affect transportation less frequently than breakage and need for repairs affects transportation in NY.

So if there is an irregularity, such as a strike, you don't want to just sit there with your bags on the platform. There are so many reports of how old and dysfunctional the public transportation system is in NYC that last week people were pulling the emergency exit cord and walking on the subway tracks to work, ignoring the dangers of the electrified third rail that will kill you on touch, and all of the rats scurrying around. You won't need that type of back up plan in Italy, where public transportation is much better.

It might be knowing how long the strike will last (often only a few hours), which lines are affected, how to take a taxi, or rent a car, if there is an irregularity, which generally means a short strike. Public transportation generally runs without a hitch in Italy, but anytime you are traveling it is a good idea to be familiar with the options before hand, rather than standing at a platform and thinking, "now what?"

The chances of none of the buses running are pretty close to zero, but you should have the name and number of a taxi and rental service, and look at the website to foresee if there are any strikes before you go. Strikes are usually for only a few hours, and are well publicized in advanced, so that you can work around them. You'll be fine.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Not sure about the NY comparison, I'm London-based with a fair bit of travel in Italy, and haven't visited NYC before. Was looking for any suggestions or tips for buses from Olbia Airport.

Basically looking at Turmo, the schedule seems fine, so any insight into reliability and any other tips was what I was looking for. I'll report back for the benefit of the community.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:51 pm

Thanks. Not sure about the NY comparison, I'm London-based with a fair bit of travel in Italy, and haven't visited NYC before. Was looking for any suggestions or tips for buses from Olbia Airport.

Basically looking at Turmo, the schedule seems fine, so any insight into reliability and any other tips was what I was looking for. I'll report back for the benefit of the community.
I'm just saying there are four bus companies. Three are private and only function during the tourist season, and that includes Turmo. Reliability tips are not going to be useful because it's a day by day thing, but reliability is the norm.

We mentioned interruptions. Having worked in Long Island, New York during May and June, I used that as an example that interruptions were constant, almost daily, due to frequently broken down trains related to outdated infrastructure. If there is a break down at Penn Station dozens of train stations get delayed across the system.

In Sardegna, buses and trains are reliable, but things can happen and no one can assure you otherwise. If they call a transportation strike in Rome it's not predictable which company will decide to go along in solidarity in Sardinia.

Any one person's experience is a one-off.

All you can do is trust the system, and realize that public transportation in Italy is generally very reliable. There are no guarantees beyond that. Go with it, but know the back up options. If someone went 5 times on that trip their report is statistically meaningless if interruptions occur oncer every 20 times.

If you go to Olbia's website, they list the strikes that are upcoming.
There was a strike June 16th.
http://www.geasar.com/deu/flughafen/...ero-16/06/2017

During strikes there is usually a "fascia di garanzia," where things work anyway, so that people can get back and forth to work. Here is an example.
http://www.ilpost.it/2017/06/12/scio...izi-garantiti/

Here is an example of the schedule of upcoming strikes "Sciopero," which are always posted in advance. Make use of them, and have alternative options is all that I am saying.
http://www.cgsse.it/scioperi/Fasce.pdf

In Sardinia there is only going to be a strike in Cagliari. The fascia di garanzia is from 5:30 to 8:30, and from 12:30 to 15:30.

Strikes in Italy are less frequent than breakdowns in NYC, so don't fret. I would tell anybody visiting NYC, San Francisco, or the places in Italy where I frequent to just know their options. I've been at JFK where I couldn't get a taxi into NYC: there were just none available. But I knew my options. That has happened to me in Rome, Venice, and everywhere else.

One-offs of someone saying that they used Turmo and it great are nice, but I don't think it provides much helpful info. I took it that the question was not about the 95% of the time when everything is nice, but what do you do the other 5% of the time? You have options.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm pleased to report that no strikes occurred, and the Turmo bus was fine. Absolutely full both ways - sharp elbows are needed for boarding, with a free-for-all at the luggage storage - but €3 each way couldn't be sniffed at.

Additionally La Maddalena is absolutely stunning and well-worth a visit.
obscure2k likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.