Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Where to buy luggage in Rome?

Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Three weeks into my Italian holiday and my suitcase has given up the ghost. Any suggestions of where I can buy new luggage today?

I'm debating between wanting to buy cheap luggage or the good stuff, so am taking suggestions for both. Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Luggage stores are everywhere, but it depends a bit on where you are. Are you in Rome? Venice? You can find inexpensive luggage everywhere. Whatever you do, don't buy anything in the street. That would be counterfeit stuff designed to break before you get to the airport, despite the fake Gucci label. If you just want luggage to get home, any store will do. If you want luggage to last for some years, then no on can tell you where to buy luggage today, because you haven't told us where you are. Italy is a whole country, with big towns, small towns, and everything in between. It won't help if I recommend Rinascente in Rome or Torino, if you are in Bari.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:28 am
Original Poster

I mentioned I am in Rome, but not where. I am in Monti but happy to travel around town. I think I ought to get something decent because I travel a lot and am apparently hard on my luggage. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
RIMOWA Store Roma
Piazza San Claudio 169 ang. Via del Tritone
00187 Roma
Mon - Sat 10:30am - 7:30pm Sun 11:00am - 7:00pm
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Tumi Via del Babuino, 57, 00187 Roma, Italy
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by giblet
I mentioned I am in Rome, but not where. I am in Monti but happy to travel around town. I think I ought to get something decent because I travel a lot and am apparently hard on my luggage. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Sorry, I didn't read the title, I just clicked on the thread. There are plenty of luggage stores. Rimowa sells hard shell, metal luggage, and quite expensive. It's great luggage, but hard shell is not to everyone's taste. Many people love Tumi. I find their luggage to be too heavy, and overpriced. It's again a matter of taste.

I like Briggs and Riley. They are several hundred dollars less expensive, but are still a top notch, highly rated product. It is almost indestructible. It has a lifetime guarantee for damage, no matter what caused it, no questions asked. Consider going to Rinascente. They are the main department store in Rome for picking up most of what you need. It's on Via del Corso, the main shopping street, within walking distance of Monti (great area to stay). If you go there you should sign up for the Rinascente card. It's not a credit card, it's a discount card, and Rinascente is all over Italy. With the card you get a nice discount whenever you buy anything. You get an even bigger discount if you buy something during the week of your birthday. If you spend over 500 euros they will deliver what you buy to your hotel. If you buy clothes that need tailoring, they will tailor it for free. A woman can reserve a beauty treatment and make up session for free at any time if she has the card. They have a decent luggage selection, including Briggs and Riley.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:20 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I once found myself in Venice needing another carry on bag. Found Mandarina Duck shop. Bought a bag which worked out well. I normally use Briggs and Riley but this Mandarina bag comes in handy at times. I think they have shops all over Italy and the prices are not insane.
http://www.mandarinaduck.com/usa/en-.../trolley/cabin
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:19 pm

I was going to recommend eBags Exo spinners shipped to wherever you're staying, but shipping to Italy looks ridiculous. I bought these a few years ago with the intent of upgrading to a "name brand" if/once they fell apart. Turns out they're fantastic, and ~$170 for larger bags.

Going and seeing what Rinascente has is a good recommendation. You might find something you like by looking versus seeking out a specific brand's store.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:43 pm

Red face

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I was going to recommend eBags Exo spinners shipped to wherever you're staying, but shipping to Italy looks ridiculous. I bought these a few years ago with the intent of upgrading to a "name brand" if/once they fell apart. Turns out they're fantastic, and ~$170 for larger bags.

Going and seeing what Rinascente has is a good recommendation. You might find something you like by looking versus seeking out a specific brand's store.
I'm wondering how spinners work in Italy where there are many cobblestone streets. With two wheels you can just pull the bag along, regardless of the surface. I've seen people have real trouble with a four wheel, upright spinner in Rome.

My guess is you can tilt over a spinner and use it as if it's a two-wheeler. If it's one that doesn't tilt to allow it to be used as a two-wheeler, I think that could be a problem. Even then, spinners are great to wheel around the smooth floors of an airport, but they tend to have very small wheels that don't do very well on large cobblestones, where they get caught in the cracks. For luggage in Rome, be sure to take the size of the wheels into consideration if you are the type of person who walks.

I guess traveling with small children that's not a big problem because there won't be too much walking. When I get to Termini I always walk to where I'm staying, which is always in Monti or near the Pantheon. That walk would be impossible pushing an upright spinner.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:23 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by giblet
Can you wait until July 1st to make your purchase? If so you can take advantage of the twice yearly sale.

When in Italy, I'd buy Italian! Bric's is a great brand. In nearby Esquilino check out the store Danipel Roma. And you can buy tax free:
Danipel Roma

Via Emanuele Filiberto, 90, 00185 Roma, Italy

Google maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/sWXF153fkDq

Last edited by JBD; Jun 27, 2017 at 10:30 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Perche
I'm wondering how spinners work in Italy where there are many cobblestone streets. With two wheels you can just pull the bag along, regardless of the surface. I've seen people have real trouble with a four wheel, upright spinner in Rome.

My guess is you can tilt over a spinner and use it as if it's a two-wheeler. If it's one that doesn't tilt to allow it to be used as a two-wheeler, I think that could be a problem. Even then, spinners are great to wheel around the smooth floors of an airport, but they tend to have very small wheels that don't do very well on large cobblestones, where they get caught in the cracks. For luggage in Rome, be sure to take the size of the wheels into consideration if you are the type of person who walks.

I guess traveling with small children that's not a big problem because there won't be too much walking. When I get to Termini I always walk to where I'm staying, which is always in Monti or near the Pantheon. That walk would be impossible pushing an upright spinner.
We've walked a ton from the various stations with our luggage and it's not as difficult as we'd originally imagined it would be. If you have a stretch of smooth pavement, you can push the bag, but for the most part just tilt it like a regular roller. Pulling it gets you through the rest. I wouldn't recommend a spinner that can't tilt and be pulled on 2 wheels, though, that would not work on the cobblestone.

We tend to travel with 1 large bag and 2 smaller (carry-on sized) + stroller. The usual drill is for one of us to take the large bag and the heavier small bag, easy enough to pull. If we also have a car seat, I'll stack the small bag on top of the large one and use a bungee cord - can still push or pull. The other person takes a small bag plus the stroller.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:16 am

My advice no longer holds, without modification. I pack light and never check a bag, so sometimes I miss something. After taking out a two week membership in my favorite gym in Rome, I realized that I didn't pack gym shorts. The usual solution is to head to Rinascente on Via del Corso for pretty much anything I need, which I did today. Unfortunately, they closed down. They moved to Piazza Fiume, near Villa Borghese. It's still a good place to go for things, but I wasn't going to go all the way up there so I went to the nearby Nike Store and picked out some running/gym shorts, which set me back 85 euros. I wish I'd gone to Rinascente.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.