Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Florence gin advice

Florence gin advice

Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Florence gin advice

So, random question, I'm flying (BA - clearly therefore this thread is 100% BA related...... sort of) to Florence in Feb. We're then travelling to Rome to watch the rugby.

As we're going by train from Florence to Rome - we 'need' gin and tonic.

so question is where do 4 rugby fans travelling hand baggage only purchase enough gin and tonic in Florence airport and the surrounding area to get enough gin and tonic to 'survive' a 90 minute train journey?

(clearly we'll take frozen lime / lemon with us and get ice from the friendly cabin crew....)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by lizban
So, random question, I'm flying (BA - clearly therefore this thread is 100% BA related...... sort of) to Florence in Feb. We're then travelling to Rome to watch the rugby.

so question is where do 4 rugby fans travelling hand baggage only purchase enough gin and tonic in Florence airport and the surrounding area to get enough gin and tonic to 'survive' a 90 minute train journey?

(clearly we'll take frozen lime / lemon with us and get ice from the friendly cabin crew....)
Duty free at LHR/LCY? The Italians have many fine qualities, I wouldn't put gin on that list. If it was Spain on the other hand....
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:50 am
Original Poster

We're on the LCY flight are we going to be in luck?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
this place: http://www.enotecaalessi.it/products/spirits/
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
or possibly here, but they don't have a website: https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/zanobini-fratelli-firenze
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by sarahluv
or possibly here, but they don't have a website: https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/zanobini-fratelli-firenze
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...et=-1&filter=7

I can see beefeater, Gordons,bombay sapphire, hendricks tanquary and lots of others there
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - the gin we're relaxed about - it's the tonic we think will be tough.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:28 am

OT, but World Duty Free in Madrid (and I'm assuming other AENA airports) has an excellent offer at the moment on Tanqueray 1L for €12.55.

Obviously with current EUR:GBP rates it's not the bargain it might once have been, but still a very good price. ^
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

There's a www.carrefour.it express near SMN railway station
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold

We'll as for that last part, I hope you're in CE, otherwise you'll be lucky to get anything but tap water! Unless ice now features on the BoB menu...
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Duty free at LHR/LCY? The Italians have many fine qualities, I wouldn't put gin on that list.
Malfy Gin is actually quite nice.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:51 pm

For the gin, I'm really not sure. Any ability to bring it with you from duty free? For tonic, I'm equally unsure, but there should be a Conad in Firenze SMN if that's the station you'll be using. At least, if it's still there, I think it used to be just off the main rail platform toward the west end of the tracks. I recall it being one of their upscale brands (Sapori & Dintorni). It is possible they will have gin, tonic, both or neither, but it's worth looking there if you're in that station.

If you strike out but can compromise a bit and have some time to stop off in Florence, walk over to the Mercato Centrale, go up to the primo piano. The large bar in the middle serves cocktails in addition to beer and wine. I wonder if they'd hand you a bottle of tonic to go - you might ask, maybe they can sell it.

Last edited by PWMTrav; Jun 23, 2017 at 4:57 pm
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by sarahluv
Zanobini should have gin - it sounded to me like OP was going from FLR to the train station, but they are walking distance from the train (maybe 10 minutes). Also they are really nice people there. Simone is always really nice to us, and pours a "drink" for my little one while we have a glass of wine.

Tonic is now the more challenging find. I've never gone looking for it in Florence.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat

If you are asking where to buy gin and tonic when you land in order to to mix your own drinks for your party on the train ride from Florence to Rome, I would tell you to forget the idea. Suck it up for the 90 minutes.

Partying on Trenitalia or Italotreno is just going to get you thrown off the train, probably in some station in the middle of nowhere. Italy is not that type of place. It is not against the law bring a bottle of wine on board and to have a drink of it. There are no specific laws against bringing your own booze on board a train and drinking it, at least that I'm aware of.

However, consumption of alcohol in Italy is culturally different. It is an accompaniment of food. Signs of drunkenness are shamed. People will start staring, then complaining and depending on the conductor, you will be thrown off the train.

Italian trains are not party trains. They are used by locals for transportation, and for tourists, often traveling with children.

There will be a bar car. I always get the first class ticket, and enjoy my one free glass of wine that comes with first class. That is generally not enough wine for me, because it's amazing to me to be on a train traveling at 3X's the speed of a USA train, speeding through such a beautiful country, and I'll gravitate to the bar car and have another.

However, if you think you are going to use the Italian train system to have a gin and tonic party when there will likely be children all around, you will either be thrown off the train, or arrested.

Last edited by Perche; Jun 23, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.