Search

Venice bans kebab shops to ‘preserve decorum and traditions' of city

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery

Here's an interesting news, but how will this help to keep Venice "proper"? Only time will tell, I guess...

In an effort to “preserve decorum and traditions” in the romantic canal city of Venice, local authorities have banned new kebab shops and other fast-food outlets from opening.

A law passed on Thursday will also limit shops selling pizza by the slice. Only shops selling artisanal ice cream will be spared from the measure, long championed by the mayor of Venice, Luigi Brugnaro.

Paola Mar, the city’s tourism chief, said: “We want to put the brakes on types of activities which are not compatible with the preservation and development of Venice’s cultural heritage.”
Please see:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...raditions-city

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old May 5, 2017, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I don't have much to say about the law but I have noticed that it seems half the world has been living under a rock when it comes to food. Kebabs are certainly nothing new. Same for cupcakes. I never understood the cupcake craze. They have been around forever. And recently I have been seeing posts such as "pineapple does not belong on pizza". They've even discussed it oh local radio stations. It's like people have just now discovered Hawaiian pizza. Again, it has been around forever.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:08 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I don't have much to say about the law but I have noticed that it seems half the world has been living under a rock when it comes to food. Kebabs are certainly nothing new. Same for cupcakes. I never understood the cupcake craze. They have been around forever. And recently I have been seeing posts such as "pineapple does not belong on pizza". They've even discussed it oh local radio stations. It's like people have just now discovered Hawaiian pizza. Again, it has been around forever.
Thanks readywhenyouare for your input, good talking points and food for thought. Interesting that Venice has "now discovered that Kebabs for some reason don't suit the image" of this fascinating city. I wonder how tourists/visitors and locals react to this "ban" of kebabs, at least officially.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old May 6, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I love kebabs. Venice, you've just made a powerful enemy.

But $10 says if a McDonalds or a Starbucks wants to open, that will be A-OK.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

other fast-food outlets from opening.

A law passed on Thursday will also limit shops selling pizza by the slice
lot more than just kebabs
Old May 7, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Venice at this point is, sadly, a bit like Disneyland. The population is shrinking and along with it all the local shops and markets that make it Venice. While I think this is stupid, I understand the concern that if they don't do something Venice will cease to have any of the character that made it Venice in the first place.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thing is they're trying to control take away foods that people bring onto St. Marks for picnics.
The headline decided to concentrate on kebabs. (We can guess why.) But the rule covers all kinds of take away foods.
If St. Mark's wasn't mobbed by daytrippers off way too many cruise ships, a few people picnicking on the Plaza wouldn't be a problem needing regulation. Been done for years.
They're just nibbling at the symptoms, though.
If Venice wants to get to the root of it's problems, it will have to seriously control the number of cruise ships in port at one time.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Are the picnickers littering? I've been through St. Mark's Square a few times...most recently 2014...and didn't notice any issues with picnickers. (Either having to walk around them or deal with their litter.)

Venice has always been swamped with tourists. I was there as a small child, again in college, and a couple times since. Are the cruise ships new? We've always gone by car (to a certain point anyway) or train.

They certainly aren't the first city to try to limit take-away shops or chain restaurants, or limit the types of containers the food is served in.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Are the picnickers littering? I've been through St. Mark's Square a few times...most recently 2014...and didn't notice any issues with picnickers. (Either having to walk around them or deal with their litter.)
It's seems more an issue of being littered with bodies.

When three or four of those monster cruise ships off-load 10K people or more, they all make a beeline for St. Marks, the Rialto, etc.

Have you seen the tram system they built at the port to funnel tourists directly from the cruise terminals into the city? It looks like Disney World.

I suppose that when I am there I am also part of the problem but it seems like the cruise ships really turn the problem up to eleven.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I must have gotten somewhat lucky: I didn't notice the cruise ships. I can totally see how that would create a huge influx of people that would completely change the character of the city.

Prior to '14 it had been well over a decade since I'd been there.

I still love Venice, touristy as it is.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are the picnickers littering?
According to press reports quoted at length on a similarly themed thread on the Italy Forum, they're building campfires and cooking!
Press reports can be exaggerated, of course, but even then they reflect a meme in current vogue. Similar to the constant, apparently endless, stream of day workers urinating on people's lawns reported in the American Southwest.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I must have gotten somewhat lucky: I didn't notice the cruise ships. I can totally see how that would create a huge influx of people that would completely change the character of the city.

Prior to '14 it had been well over a decade since I'd been there.

I still love Venice, touristy as it is.
Maybe it's just me but IMO this doesn't exactly scream "Venice". YMMV

Old May 8, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Holy crapballs.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anrkitec

But they're banning take away foods. Because THAT'S ruining Venice.
I don't have a problem at all with getting rid of takeout. But let's be real. Takeaway stands can't even get close to the political payoffs that those cruise operators pay.
As long as Venice allows unfettered access by cruisers, the city is doomed. More accurately, the small area between St Marks and Rialto Bridge is doomed because that's where the cruisers go. Almost all of them. They're "doing" Venice.
You can be 15 blocks away in Castello and it looks the same as it did in the 90's.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anrkitec

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.