Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Circumvesuviana - Campania Express - 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling

I can not find any news if the Circumvesuviana Railways Campania Express will be running in 2017 (Naples to Sorrento). Anyone have any info?

Note: The Campania Express is an extra fare air conditioned Tourist train introduced in 2015 that stops only at Naples, Ercolano, Pompei, and Sorrento.

Last edited by schriste; Mar 17, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schriste
I can not find any news if the Circumvesuviana Railways Campania Express will be running in 2017 (Naples to Sorrento). Anyone have any info?
I'm checking as well. I think we may have to wait until March to find a schedule. In the past it has started running on March 15....if they run it at all. I came across a number of articles from Neapolitan papers complaining about this "air-conditioned tourist carriage" running mostly empty while crowded Circumvesuviana trains are still beat-up old rattletraps. This kind of thing is pretty typical in Italy, doesn't mean they'll suspend service. (In 2016, they actually added service).
So keep checking back here and post as soon as you find any news. I'll do the same.
Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked the EAV website today and on the live train status feed -http://telelive.eavsrl.it/ - under Sorrento, they are announcing the Campania Express will run from March 15 to October 15 this year.
I haven't seen a 2017 schedule yet.
The link provided - http://www.eavsrl.it/web/campania-express - still displays the 2016 schedule.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week, I checked the EAV website and the notification I mentioned above has been removed.
I've made alternative arrangements.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Yes it's running. EAV has been rescued from bankrupcy recently.
You can calculate schedule and timings from the homepage: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/home
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

I can't find it.

There are some regular, although infrequent, trains like the one at 13:41 from NAPOLI P.Nolana that run express to TORRE A. Olponti then most stops to Sorrento. But as far as I know these are still regular trains with regular fares, not the special Campania Express.

Are these what you see... or is it the actual seasonal Campania Express extra fare tourist train?

General question... last time I rode the Circumvesuviana was 10 years ago and at that time the equipment was a disgrace... has it improved?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
As Forrest Bump said, I wouldn't panic about the Express being canceled. For example, here's a screen shot of their schedule for opening day, March 17. I'm going to assume it's the express because if it wasnt running, I'd assume there would have been an announcement by now. Also, the local can't get there this fast.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Perche; Mar 17, 2017 at 9:30 am
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:37 am

Actually, I'll retract that, it could be the local. Given that their website has an announcement page, I would expect there would have been an announcement if there was a cancelation, and there are none. It's still early for them to put up a schedule.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Yes, the 3 trains listed are the regular twice an hour local service that make all 30 stops.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those are the DD Circumvesuviana trains.

A couple of nights ago, I emailed EAV asking whether the train would run this year and about the timetable. Here's their response:

Egregio Signor Xxxxx

facciamo seguito alla Sua richiesta.

Le partecipiamo che al momento non abbiamo informazioni in merito al servizio del Campania Express per l’anno 2017.

Cordiali saluti.

EAV S.R.L

They currently have no information about the Campania Express service for 2017.

Does this mean it won't run? No, it just means you can't plan on it. Circumvesuviana, Curerri Viagi from the airport, or the ferry. They may run late, or be cancelled as well. But they are scheduled.
I booked the ferry.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:15 am

I tried calling several of their numbers, but no one knows anything. Not as in they have doubt, they just don't know anything. The main office is closed until Monday.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for checking

Guess I'll just play it by ear. Ferry schedules for late April on a Sunday are also a big question mark at this time.

I have taken the regular Circumvesuviana train in the past and may do so again, but my last ride 10 years ago found a pretty depressing run down service that is not a great way to start a holiday (unless you wanted to see what it was like riding the NYC subway in the 1970's)
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by schriste
Thanks for checking

Guess I'll just play it by ear. Ferry schedules for late April on a Sunday are also a big question mark at this time.

I have taken the regular Circumvesuviana train in the past and may do so again, but my last ride 10 years ago found a pretty depressing run down service that is not a great way to start a holiday (unless you wanted to see what it was like riding the NYC subway in the 1970's)
I wouldn't take the Circumvesuviana in the summer. It's terrible. Not even air-conditioned. The main office should open on Monday, I missed them today because of the time difference. I also know a top tour guide in Naples, and she stays on top of things like this, and I emailed her.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stay loose, schriste. You still have time. They still have the 2016 schedule up. Maybe they'll run it just starting later (though that may be May or even June.)
The thing is there were lots of local complaints that the air-conditioned, new train was running empty, while the regular commuter runs were mobbed and as we all know rather uncomfortable. It's an express so it's usefulness is limited for local commutes. But the comfort difference between the local and express is too great. It would be like Trenitalia still running the old Ferrovia Locales (wooden bench seats!) next to the Freccias. EAV must start upgrading the Circumvesuviana, and funding is tight.
Another alternative to the ferry - which can be delayed or cancelled due to high seas, certainly in April - is to take the Curreri Viagi bus from NAP. (If you're arriving by train, you can take the Alibus to NAP, about 10 minutes and 4 €)
It's only 10€. Takes an hour and a quarter. There's also door to door private or shared transfers. Can be pricey but certainly the easiest.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
There's also door to door private or shared transfers. Can be pricey but certainly the easiest.
I've been following this thread with interest since we'll be arriving April 15th. Any recommendations/contact info for private transfers from NAP to Sorrento? There would be 3 of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.