Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Circumvesuviana - Campania Express - 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Circumvesuviana - Campania Express - 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Nobody answers the phone. There are just recordings. When you finally get someone from EAV on the phone, they say they have no idea. So I called two of the very high end hotels in Sorrento, the Excelsior and the Syrene and spoke to the concierge, figuring they would know.

Both told me the same thing. They believe the Campania Express starts April 1st this year, instead of March 20th, as it did last year. They are not answering the phones and there is no schedule yet because they are not working until April 1st. That's the belief of the two concierges. Check back on April 1st.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:45 am

I called the Bellevue Syrene, Excelsior, and Hilton in Sorrento, since the train service doesn't answer the phone. Hilton said that Campania Express will not start until May. Excelsior said they didn't know. Syrene, the concierge had already left for the day. So, it's very uncertain for April. Circumvesuviano is pretty bad in high season because it's crowded and has not air conditioning. In April, if you avoid rush hour, it's really not all that bad. We'll just have to keep track and see what develops.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:10 pm

is it something going unusual in Campania region this year? Have been waiting for Travel Mar to update its website too (ferries were suppose to start from April 1)
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Perhaps due to Easter being later in the year this year?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:19 pm

Ferry

Travelmar updated website now
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:29 pm

and also EAV just did it too

so information source about it starting in May was just guessing

It starts on April 15. Runs through Oct 15 (exact 6 months)

Frequencies and fares seem similar to last year

http://www.eavsrl.it/web/content/cam...xpress-2017-it
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, desi, for posting this.
It's most strange. If I access the EAV site directly, I'm still sent to the 2016 timetable.
Even stranger, if I follow your link and then use the "Assistenza" button at the top of the 2017 timetable page, the links to the Campania Express return me to the 2016 timetable! I cannot reach that page independent of your link... (The complaint about this service being underutilized will certainly not be addressed by hiding the timetable)
Good on you for finding this and thanks again for capping this thread by posting the link.

Last edited by rickg523; Apr 5, 2017 at 12:35 pm Reason: immaterial
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
It's most strange. If I access the EAV site directly, I'm still sent to the 2016 timetable.
Even stranger, if I follow your link and then use the "Assistenza" button at the top of the 2017 timetable page, the links to the Campania Express return me to the 2016 timetable! I cannot reach that page independent of your link... (The complaint about this service being underutilized will certainly not be addressed by hiding the timetable)
Good on you for finding this and thanks again for capping this thread by posting the link.
My understanding is that they are not just focusing on Naples to Sorrento. That's a no-brainer called the, "Pickpocket Express," because it just serves tourism. Pompeii decided to open up new places this year for music, theatre, concerts, etc.

There is no way to get to Pompeii and back to Naples to watch a concert. This train is being re-decided based on whatever it can do to make Pompeii and related neighborhoods make it as a concert place for bands like the Rolling Stones, etc. I don't think it's all figured out yet, which wouldn't be surprising.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
It is indeed disturbing how the website is behaving.
Someone is obviously modifying the web site (but not in good way)

The news item under news in main page (which led me to the page I linked above), no longer exist!!

Also, I have noticed that sometimes links on EAV website are actually linked to totally different things (scary).

BTW, where do you buy campania express tickets exactly upon arriving from Rome?
Given the security issues at Napoli station, I hope someone somewhere (here or on TA or on Cruisecritic) have posted directions (with or without photos)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by desi
/snip/
BTW, where do you buy campania express tickets exactly upon arriving from Rome?
Given the security issues at Napoli station, I hope someone somewhere (here or on TA or on Cruisecritic) have posted directions (with or without photos)
(At least last year) Follow the signs for Circumvesuviana downstairs and just before the platforms, there is (was) a marked Campania Express ticket window. Sorry no photos.
/added info/ I just did a memory check on Google Maps. You can "streetview" through Napoli Centrale. The Circumvesuviana signage now includes "Campania Express." The ticket booths are for both trains.

Last edited by rickg523; Apr 10, 2017 at 11:20 am Reason: Additional info
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:43 am

I wouldn't hang my hat on this, but a concierge at the Hotel Bellevue Syrene, a $674 per night hotel in Sorrento, just told me that he received a notice that the Campania Express will start on April 15th. He lamented that the train's online notice is worthless, but that he received the notice that it will start on the 15th of this month.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:56 am

OK, since the phone number for trains in Naples is never answered, I called another hotel, the Grand Hotel La Favorite, another 5 star hotel in Sorrento, and the concierge said she had no idea. She put me on hold, made a few phone calls, then got back on the line with me and told me that it is working now, they have three trains per day at this time. Really, this is how Italy works, it's a different mindset.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:07 am

A relative of a collegue enquired at Napoli station about Campania Express. As per information received, it will start on April 15.

http://www.eavsrl.it/web/content/cam...xpress-2017-it
Old May 21, 2017, 2:19 am

For completion's sake, here is the link to purchase the tickets:
http://ots.eavsrl.it/web/public/ots/ticket/index

I was in Campania last week and took the circumvesuviana from sorrento to naples. Tried to board the express (which looked so much nicer) but was turned away because the ticket office had given us the regular tickets (didn't know there was the option of the express!). It's only a couple of euros more so definitely advise anyone reading this to spring for the express.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:54 pm

Sorry for the old thread bump but any comments on Circumvesuviana vs Campania Express in 2022 or more recent years? Is the Express at 25 euro/round trip still worth the premium?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.