Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

5 days on Amalfi Coast/ Sorrento. Suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

Hi,

I'm looking to go the Amalfi Coast for the first time later this year ( early September). I'm looking to be there for 5 days and I'm wondering if I should base my time there in Poistano or should I do three days in Poisitano and 2 in Sorrento. Since it is my first time there I want to see / enjoy as much as I can.

I appreciate any suggestions/ itineraries that you may have.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Some nice suggestions in the Luxury Hotels Forum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...hese-four.html
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by NickyEWR
Hi,

I'm looking to go the Amalfi Coast for the first time later this year ( early September). I'm looking to be there for 5 days and I'm wondering if I should base my time there in Poistano or should I do three days in Poisitano and 2 in Sorrento. Since it is my first time there I want to see / enjoy as much as I can.

. It mostly depends on what you plan to do. Sorrento is a decent base for day trips to other places such as Pompeii, Paestum, Capri, etc. Sorrento in and of itself is not really a destination. It's a very large cruise ship port. Thousands of people disembark to shop for souvenirs, etc. Unlike ports in bigger cities like Naples, Sorrento can't really handle it. It seems as if the the majority of tourists come from the U.K. The language of the streets, shops, restaurants, is primarily English. While there are some high end restaurants, as a cruise ship port, just going out to eat along the main drags generally means sub-par over-priced food, artificial gelato, etc. Sorrento overlooks a beach, but isn't on the beach. It's quite a hike down the cliff to the beach, and especially back up. In any case, off the beach are generally cruise ships. Since it's not a deep water port the ships dock offshore and passengers get on smaller boats to get shuttled to Sorrento to shop on its main drag. Even in September there will probably be more tourists in town than residents.

Having to move during a five day trip is also a hassle. It means that after two days in Sorrento you'd travel to your hotel in Positano and probably check-in at the usual 3PM and have that evening. Then you have just the next two days to explore the Amalfi Coast before you have to pack up and check out at 11PM. That doesn't leave time to relax and explore Positano and relax on the beach, much less explore the Amalfi Coast, with side trips to Amalfi, Ravello, Blue Grotto, Capri etc. I'd also like to point out that Sorrento is not part of the Amalfi Coast. If you split it up you'd only have two full days on the Amalfi Coast.

Last edited by Perche; Feb 13, 2017 at 9:31 am
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perche
. It mostly depends on what you plan to do. Sorrento is a decent base for day trips to other places such as Pompeii, Paestum, Capri, etc. Sorrento in and of itself is not really a destination. It's a very large cruise ship port. Thousands of people disembark to shop for souvenirs, etc. Unlike ports in bigger cities like Naples, Sorrento can't really handle it. It seems as if the the majority of tourists come from the U.K. The language of the streets, shops, restaurants, is primarily English. While there are some high end restaurants, as a cruise ship port, just going out to eat along the main drags generally means sub-par over-priced food, artificial gelato, etc. Sorrento overlooks a beach, but isn't on the beach. It's quite a hike down the cliff to the beach, and especially back up. In any case, off the beach are generally cruise ships. Since it's not a deep water port the ships dock offshore and passengers get on smaller boats to get shuttled to Sorrento to shop on its main drag. Even in September there will probably be more tourists in town than residents.

Having to move during a five day trip is also a hassle. It means that after two days in Sorrento you'd travel to your hotel in Positano and probably check-in at the usual 3PM and have that evening. Then you have just the next two days to explore the Amalfi Coast before you have to pack up and check out at 11PM. That doesn't leave time to relax and explore Positano and relax on the beach, much less explore the Amalfi Coast, with side trips to Amalfi, Ravello, Blue Grotto, Capri etc. I'd also like to point out that Sorrento is not part of the Amalfi Coast. If you split it up you'd only have two full days on the Amalfi Coast.
All true. But if you've never been before, I'll wager you'll find Sorrento charming for a 5 day stay. My first trip to Campania was a 5 day stay. We based in Sorrento because it's a travel hub. The ferries to Capri and the Amalfi Coast, the SITA bus to Positano and Amalfi (an amazing ride if you aren't nervous), the trains to Pompeii and Naples are all available right at the Port or Train Station. We stayed at a hotel on Piazza Tasso, the center of town. The station is a five minute walk, the Port accessible by the little buses or by using the convenient Lift (in the town park between San Francesco church and Hotel Tramontana). So in 5 days, we spent a day on Capri (don't overlook the village of Anacapri), took the bus to Positano, wandered through town and caught a ferry to Amalfi, walked the village streets to Atrani, visited the ruins at Pompeii, spent a day in Naples, and went to Ischia. All on public transport, five easy day trips.
Perche, as usual, is accurate about "tourist trap" restaurants. If you get a flyer with a discount while wandering around, just avoid the place. But you can try Taverna dell' 800, RE Food, or Rist. San Antonio, all in the old town. I found good meals with fantastic southern Italian hospitality at all three. Also I enjoyed a pizza at da Gigino (by the 3 arches). It's touristic but the pizza was decent and a table on the "street" is great people watching. As an additional data point, we visited in mid-May, so not the height of cruising season.

Last edited by rickg523; Feb 13, 2017 at 12:42 pm Reason: More details
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Something to consider if you are going to spend 5 days on the Amalfi Coast. You must see Pompeii, one of Italy's greatest treasures. But depending on your tastes, consider Procida. Everyone goes to Capri, because Jacquelyn Kennedy and movie stars made it famous. It's super crowded, and expensive.

There are three islands, and Procida is the hidden gem. It is the site where the movie, "IL Postino" was filmed. Il Postino is a true story about how the famous poet Pablo Neruda moved there, and wrote poems to help the postman win the heart of a woman. It was nominated for 5 Oscars and for some years was the highest grossing film in the world that was not in english. It has subtitles. The music is sublime. Whenever you feel stressed, just put that CD on and be transported to the slow pace of Procida. No one ever talks about it, but it's one of the hidden gems of visiting the Amalfi Coast.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'll agree with Rickg523, I found Sorrento a perfect spot for visiting the surrounding towns via public transportation. Especially for visiting Positano and the Amalfi coast, I used the SITA bus and was glad I wasn't the one driving on those hairpin curves, having to 'back up' due to an oncoming bus or truck! I actually stayed at the Hilton Sorrento which was a 10 minute walk down to the main town, but far enough away to relax and up high enough to get fantastic views of the entire coast. It is also a quick trip to Pompeii and Naples on the local train, which brings you right to the main entrance of Pompeii and to the center of Naples. Ferries from Sorrento go all over the coast and there's no need to rent a car (if you were thinking of it).
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Sorrento is a better base for the purpose to visit around. Positano is perfect to just chill and indulge as the world goes by.
While Sorrento is on the Naples-facing side of the peninsula, Positano is on the other one, overlooking Salerno.
The best part of the drive is where less scooters and daytrippers are (I'm one of them and I'm aware how much we spoil the place), thus I would say the Sorrento to Conca Dei Marini segment.

Skip the Grotta dello Smeraldo, not worth the hassle IMO, and instead
don't neglect to stop in Praiano, if only for the view from the terrace of the chiesa di San Gennaro. A view to die for, I promise.

Even better, for those on wheels, climb up the tiny road that forks from the main street while in Praiano (it's Via Marconi) and a couple of km and few bends later, you'll enjoy the best bird's-eye view of the entire gulf.

Even in high season is almost always empty, with just a B&B at the end of it.

Closer to Sorrento I love the Bagni della Regina Giovanna. Another stunning and scenic place, known mostly by locals.
Including the wonderful resort Relais Regina Giovanna (at least from the outside).

Just beware, for those with children or not into it, at the end of the walk lies a nudist beach.

Last edited by Forrest Bump; Mar 7, 2017 at 10:16 am
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
...Just beware, for those with children or not into it, at the end of the walk lies a nudist beach.
Everything you wrote, I agree with without any reservations. I only have problems with your last statement. I should read:

"Just beware, for those with a prudish and jealous spouse or not into it, at the end of the walk lies a nudist beach."
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by KLouis
Everything you wrote, I agree with without any reservations. I only have problems with your last statement. I should read:

"Just beware, for those with a prudish and jealous spouse or not into it, at the end of the walk lies a nudist beach."
Well, it's pretty much implied
But, seriously, don't need to be too prudish to feel unconfortable if your kid happens to walk past some dangling trinket.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by NickyEWR
Hi,

I would not change locations within 5 days. Pick your place and stay.

I would stay in Positano or Amalfi (or any of the other towns on the coast).

I would plan my visits to see....Positano, Amalfi, Praiano, Ravello, Procida, Capri, Pompeii and/or Paestum. Spend a day driving the coastal highway, lots of places to stop and see..like Furore. Naples has a really good museum also. I dunno why people blow past Naples, its probably my favorite city in Italy if not the world. But whatever, at least I know I can always go there and escape the tourist crowds and visit friends.

Also while there are many great places to eat. I like this little place La Taverna del Leone just outside of Positano a little ways.

Last edited by soonerborn; Mar 9, 2017 at 7:16 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by soonerborn
I dunno why people blow past Naples, its probably my favorite city in Italy if not the world. But whatever, at least I know I can always go there and escape the tourist crowds and visit friends.
I totally agree, perhaps some are fearful of the bad rap it has had in the past, but I think it's a wonderful city and should not be missed.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mauld
I totally agree, perhaps some are fearful of the bad rap it has had in the past, but I think it's a wonderful city and should not be missed.
^^.... but...shhhhhhhh
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by mauld
My only problem with the city is that from April till September is looks like 8 out of 10 people in the streets are Brittish Miss Marple lookalikes!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:01 am

Disregard. Abandoning the idea

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Mar 29, 2017 at 6:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.