Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Where to Eat in Florence [Master Thread]

Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PWMTrav
This is the wiki. Let's use it to index the thread.

Restaurant Reviews (Published)
Se.Sto on Arno (Dissapore, July 2016)

Restaurant Reviews (User Visits)
Print Wikipost

Where to Eat in Florence [Master Thread]

Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by helosc
Had Foccacia with Breasola in the Prosciutteria, via de Neri, both yesterday and today ( line for the All Antico Vinaio was far too long).
Perfectly nice sandwiches - 4.5€.

As a total aside:
How about starting an informal, non-specific, all about Italy, chatty thread?
For discussions about all and everything, for small questions not meriting their own thread, for small complaints, for news, for entertainment....
There's a tendency in this forum to go off topic anyway, so a general thread could be a good idea.
The SAS Eurobonus (Scandinavian Airlines) forum has an informal cafe thread and I find it very useful.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...orum-kafe.html

I, for instance, wanted to share what a good time I've been having here in Firenze - sunshine, lots of food, lots of wine - I don't know what it is about Italy that releases the inner glutton/enjoyer of life - but I can't very well start a new thread called 'la dolce vita', can I?
There are Forums which have "Lounge" threads in which members can post miscellaneous ideas, news, information.
Here is an example from The Luxury Hotels Forum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l-welcome.html
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Start the thread! I'll participate.

Also glad you liked Da Rocco.
Think it's up to the moderators to decide.
Really like Da Rocco. Went there again today.

Originally Posted by obscure2k
There are Forums which have "Lounge" threads in which members can post miscellaneous ideas, news, information.
Here is an example from The Luxury Hotels Forum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l-welcome.html
Yes, I know.
I just suggested one for this forum.
It's a very good forum, I read it even when I'm not about to go to Italy - a lounge thread would be a good addition, I think.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by helosc
Think it's up to the moderators to decide.
Really like Da Rocco. Went there again today.

Yes, I know.
I just suggested one for this forum.
It's a very good forum, I read it even when I'm not about to go to Italy - a lounge thread would be a good addition, I think.
Congratulations and thanks, HELOCS
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...lian-room.html
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:56 am

Current line up for my trip next month:

1. Enoteca Pinchiorri
2. La Bottega Del Buon Caffč
3. Trattoria Sostanza -- (is butter chicken really the best thing there to get?)
+ whatever we happen to stumble upon
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbeans
Current line up for my trip next month:

1. Enoteca Pinchiorri
2. La Bottega Del Buon Caffč
3. Trattoria Sostanza -- (is butter chicken really the best thing there to get?)
+ whatever we happen to stumble upon
If you want to do some scouting from my list, Osteria dell'Enoteca just opened, from the people that own Enoteca Pitti Gola e Cantina. Via Romana 70r / +39 055 2286018. I'm not likely to return to Florence this year, but I'm excited to try it.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:57 am

If you want to do some scouting from my list, Osteria dell'Enoteca just opened, from the people that own Enoteca Pitti Gola e Cantina. Via Romana 70r / +39 055 2286018. I'm not likely to return to Florence this year, but I'm excited to try it.
This place looks great! I think I'll squeeze it in for a lunch. Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:11 am
Original Poster

This place looks great! I think I'll squeeze it in for a lunch. Thanks!
If you remember, please let me know how it is!

If you're not familiar with it, also stop by Enoteca Pitti Gola e Cantina for some wine and a snack. It's a really good place to go to have small pours of a variety of things that you're not likely to find back home.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:44 am

If you're not familiar with it, also stop by Enoteca Pitti Gola e Cantina for some wine and a snack. It's a really good place to go to have small pours of a variety of things that you're not likely to find back home.
I'll definitely report back! Thanks again for your suggestions!
Old May 11, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Trattoria Sostanza is great! Loved their buttered chicken and artichokes pie! And also their meringue cake with wild strawberries! Went there twice.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: FT
Had a great meal here yesterday. The half portion options allowed us to have about six dishes for lunch. Also had a great bottle of white and I was shocked when our bill only came to 69 euro.

http://www.fishinglab.it/

It was the Fishing Lab Murate location.

I was very impressed and so was my wife.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

I came across this list recently, and it's pretty good -

http://www.dissapore.com/ristoranti/...migliori-2017/

I'd especially highlight the non-Tuscan and non-Italian kitchens on this list if you're in town for a while and want something different. I will note that across the board, it does lean toward more modern places, often non-traditional cooking, but don't let that be a bad thing - especially if you've spent a lot of time in Florence and are wearing out the same places over and over.

I haven't been to everything on here, but Dissapore is more reputable than I am, right? I really want to get to Vivo. We have what I'd consider the best oyster bar on the east coast, maybe the country, in Portland (Eventide) and I'm really interested in similar concepts elsewhere on the globe as a good opportunity to try the local varieties far away. Mostly because I love oysters.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: FT
I went to Antico Vinaio, in the early pm, no line and had three fantastic sandwiches.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
I went to Antico Vinaio, in the early pm, no line and had three fantastic sandwiches.
They're very good. All dependent on personal taste, but I think they overdo it on the truffle creme, so I usually avoid those. Also recommend going across the street to their osteria for a tagliere.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:22 pm

I'm pleased to report back that Osteria dell'Enoteca was one of the best meals I had in Florence! I had pasta (rabbit with pine nuts) and Florentine steak, and both were amazing. Thanks again for the rec! ^
Old May 29, 2017, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

I'm pleased to report back that Osteria dell'Enoteca was one of the best meals I had in Florence! I had pasta (rabbit with pine nuts) and Florentine steak, and both were amazing. Thanks again for the rec! ^
Glad it worked out. The team behind both places are really passionate about their hometown. They know they're primarily drawing tourists because of their locations, but they don't use it as an excuse to cut corners or water anything down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.