Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of this cooking class in Rome?

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of this cooking class in Rome?

Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:11 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by AAMillionaire
Hello all...

I'll be in Rome in February and want to do a cooking class. I contacted Katie Parla and she recommended Daniela's cooking school. I prefer this however a friend wants to do a class she found on TripAdvisor.

I find it a bit odd that the TripAdvisor tour doesn't have a website of it's own. Anyone with experience about this?

Thanks.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...partner=Viator
(Bolding in above quoted post mine). As mentioned, Viator is just a third party contractor. But out of curiousity I looked at the tour's description on TA, and then googled "Mazzano Romano Cooking Class" which was mentioned, and found the link:

http://www.fabiolouscookingday.it/

According to the "About Us" page, the chef and owner of the restaurant "That's Amore", Chef Fabio Bongianni, branched out and started these classes.

I can't find any prices on the website, but it does allow you to request a booking. It would be interesting to know what the price differential is - if booking through TA/Viator or directly with the business that actually runs the tours.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:53 pm

Usually listings on TripAdvisor or Viator can be trusted, and also, I don't think all those reviews are fake. Anyhow, being a foodie myself I always try to go with more specific platforms like Terrapetti, they are pretty cool.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by JenbrownS
Usually listings on TripAdvisor or Viator can be trusted, and also, I don't think all those reviews are fake. Anyhow, being a foodie myself I always try to go with more specific plVtforms like Terrapetti, they are pretty cool.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I think most experienced travelers don't rely on TripAdvisor or Viator.

Example, an Italian comes to NYC for two days and stays in a hotel on 50th and 7th avenue. Nice restaurants there. The next day, he goes to a restaurant on 57th and 3rd avenue, and liked it. They then write on TripAdvisor," this is the best hamburger in all America."

Although the person hasn't not yet tasted all of the hamburgers in the USA, they still qualified to write like that. They haven't yet tasted a hamburger in Texas or in Omaha.

you will do better by getting real information from natives those who do this for a living than from Trip Advisor.

Last edited by Perche; Jan 5, 2017 at 6:08 pm
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
I know this is an old thread and the OP already has posted that he found his cooking class, the one recommended by Katie Parla, but I wouldn't want people to think that Terrapetti is a good choice. They are just a bulletin board, like Craig's list. The list of regions where their website says they are available include Afghanistan, Botswana, Chad, the Cook Islands, McDonald Island, Tuvulu, and even Somalia, which the USA embassy wouldn't recommend.

Anybody, even with no training or experience, can place and ad on their website/bulletin board indicating that they are selling cooking lessons. Other than some minor details like your name and email address, all you have to do is click on what you are selling on their website, and even that's optional

"Listing Meal Type (optional). To help customers find specific meals types within the food experiences you need to select the appropriate meal types: cooking class, home made meals, food sharing, food travel class, personal chef and catering, tours and tasting."

Then you write an add to sell yourself, and voila, you are on their bulletin board, just like placing an ad on Craigslist. If someone chooses you they have to send their money to Terrapetti, who then sends you your cut. Viator works the same way. Buyer beware.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.