Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 weeks in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
You need one of the specified Fi-capable phones if you want to go this route. Otherwise, functionality will be hit or miss. In the US, some phones will activate on the Fi SIM, but they'll generally stay on the T-Mobile network since they don't have the ability to switch between GSM and CDMA networks on the fly (Fi uses T-M, US Cellular and Sprint networks domestically). Abroad, not sure, haven't found many data points online.

Unless you have one of those specific phones, just going with T-Mobile and their international data service is probably a better bet.
For darn sure, I'm not a fan of TIM.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:50 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by boybi
By the way, what sim card can you suggest for data? And I'm going to use it for 2 weeks.
Have you checked out this thread from the Technology Forum?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...sim-italy.html
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by JBD
Have you checked out this thread from the Technology Forum?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...sim-italy.html
I just randomly went through that thread and what I read was TIM is ok. But in this thread, TIM is not ok. I'm a bit confused.

Can I get a simcard in the airport (FCO)?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:45 pm
JBD

...Can I get a simcard in the airport (FCO)?
See posts 26 to 33 in this thread (from 5 months ago):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...l#post26634465
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

On average, how much would it cost me if I get an Italian data simcard for 2 weeks? Forecast data usage would be around 5GB.

If I use my own provider's data roaming, it would cost me around USD12.00/day with unlimited data.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:14 am

TIM is a pain in the ..., but for Perche and I (and he can correct me if I'm wrong), most of the trouble we've run into is in the maintenance of our service and accounts. I will tell you that on the trip where I bought and first activated my TIM SIM, my service was flawless for the 2 weeks I was using it. Just make sure your phone is SIM/carrier unlocked and go to a TIM store to get set up.

I have issues now with adding funds. I seem to only be able to use ricaricards, which means I need to be in Italy to top off. I also run into issues with them activating features on my phone that drain my residual balance, so I have to log in once a month to make sure nothing looks off.

I think you'll be fine with TIM, especially if you plan to toss the SIM and never use it again. It will expire if it's not used (debited or credited) for 12 months.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

I guess I will go for TIM, and add the necessary funds for the duration of my stay at the store.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Just for the record I use vodafone. I have a sim in an old phone and every trip to Italy first stop in a newsstand in the airport and add 25 Euro. There's some issue about not being able to use non-Italian cards online, but basically any coffee shop/kiosk can add money so it's no big deal.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:29 am

The last time I bought a SIM, it was roughly 15-20 euro for the SIM itself, which included 5-10 euro in credit, can't remember the exact numbers. Plans vary, but I started with one that essentially includes nothing, and I pay per minute and text. Data prices vary - they run a ton of promotions. If you tell the people at the store you need 5 gigs over the two weeks you're there, they'll find something. Current promotions look like 10 euro a month for 2 gigs of data.

One thing to remember - keep enough residual credit on your account for the options you want. If you keep more, and intend to use the SIM again in the future, remember that it expires after 12 months without activity (that activity generally being credit/debit on the balance). And deactivate your recurring options when you leave Italy so that they don't drain your balance. If you're never going to use it again, or won't go through the trouble of keeping the SIM active, don't worry about this part.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot! I'm now almost done with Rome.

My questions now will be towards my stay in Florence.

From the point of view of forumers here, what would I expect in Florence after coming from Rome? Will there be significant difference in terms of food? Are taxis in Florence same as in Rome?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:18 am

Thanks a lot! I'm now almost done with Rome.

My questions now will be towards my stay in Florence.

From the point of view of forumers here, what would I expect in Florence after coming from Rome? Will there be significant difference in terms of food? Are taxis in Florence same as in Rome?
Florence has been discussed pretty extensively. Search the forum and you'll find a lot of info.

Food is different, as each city and region in Italy is going to be different. Not entirely unfamiliar, but different. Taxis are the same in the sense that you can't hail them randomly on the street - call in advance or use an existing, marked taxi stand.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Florence has been discussed pretty extensively. Search the forum and you'll find a lot of info.

Food is different, as each city and region in Italy is going to be different. Not entirely unfamiliar, but different. Taxis are the same in the sense that you can't hail them randomly on the street - call in advance or use an existing, marked taxi stand.
For your purposes, Florence is a lot more compact than Rome. Choose a well located hotel. Set up your intended itinerary and you should be able to find something convenient to almost all of it. A lot of people like to drive through the Tuscan countryside. But Florence is a terrible place for a car. The entire city seems to be one big ZTL (it's not but boy do lots of people run afoul of them and it's pricey if you do). So do a day rent from the airport if you want to drive (recommended - it's lovely). Take transit or taxi back and forth from town.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
The last time I bought a SIM, it was roughly 15-20 euro for the SIM itself, which included 5-10 euro in credit, can't remember the exact numbers. Plans vary, but I started with one that essentially includes nothing, and I pay per minute and text. Data prices vary - they run a ton of promotions. If you tell the people at the store you need 5 gigs over the two weeks you're there, they'll find something. Current promotions look like 10 euro a month for 2 gigs of data.

One thing to remember - keep enough residual credit on your account for the options you want. If you keep more, and intend to use the SIM again in the future, remember that it expires after 12 months without activity (that activity generally being credit/debit on the balance). And deactivate your recurring options when you leave Italy so that they don't drain your balance. If you're never going to use it again, or won't go through the trouble of keeping the SIM active, don't worry about this part.
If you go to Italy and buy a brand new SIM card, it might take a week for them to activate it. If you really bug them at the store, you can get it done sooner. Just understand that is not just "stop in the airport and buy and pop in my new SIM," and all will be well. Once you have the SIM, and it's been activated once, it's better when you go back. But the first time, it can take a week to activate it. Have a back-up plan.

Last edited by Perche; Oct 6, 2016 at 7:29 pm
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Before I forget, I've heard from friends who've been to Italy that it's hard to find public toilets and restaurants don't let you use theirs if you are not a diner. Is this really true?

Also, does restaurants give complimentary drinking water in Italy?
1. Never pass up a clean bathroom when you're traveling. Keep a supply of toilet paper with you. Don't assume the toilets will have seats- many people prefer squatting, so oftentimes seats are either omitted or broken.
2. Italians don't drink tap water, only bottled water. It's often a good idea to use what the locals do as a guide. Bottled water isn't free. Note that there isn't much price difference between the house wine and water in a restaurant.

Specify whether you want a mezzo (half liter) or litro (liter) bottle of water, and naturale or gassato (still or sparkling).
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
1. Never pass up a clean bathroom when you're traveling. Keep a supply of toilet paper with you. Don't assume the toilets will have seats- many people prefer squatting, so oftentimes seats are either omitted or broken.
2. Italians don't drink tap water, only bottled water. It's often a good idea to use what the locals do as a guide. Bottled water isn't free. Note that there isn't much price difference between the house wine and water in a restaurant.

Specify whether you want a mezzo (half liter) or litro (liter) bottle of water, and naturale or gassato (still or sparkling).
Would restaurants allow bringing of own bottled water?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.