Wiki Posts
Search

2 weeks in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Learn a few Italian phrases, enough to be able to ask if they can help you in English. Many Italians are competent, and usually understate how good their English really is (there's a self-consciousness about accents, I've found).

Many places have English menus and will offer them, others will just walk you through the Italian menu and explain it in English. I was at dinner the other night and watched a waiter go line by line with a Chinese couple with English as the common language, and what I appreciated in the exchange was that he wasn't steering anyone toward any particular (expensive) menu items, he literally explained every line on it and answered questions. Not everywhere will be that level of patient, but for the most part, service industry Italians in the cities are pretty welcoming. Or, you do what other tourists do, and listen for some other tourist who you hear speaking both English and Italian and ask them for help - I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly never mind when people ask me.

I am guessing, though, that you will be approached in English by default if you're in the historic center of major Italian cities. With Florence in particular, just about every local can spot a non-Italian. You generally shouldn't have a problem until you go too far South, or out into the countryside.
Interesting. That's contrary to what I heard from those who have been to Italy. They said Italians are too proud of their language that they won't converse in English even if they understand it. But I'll be really glad that I won't have a hard time in communicating.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by boybi
Interesting. That's contrary to what I heard from those who have been to Italy. They said Italians are too proud of their language that they won't converse in English even if they understand it. But I'll be really glad that I won't have a hard time in communicating.
Italians are very proud of their language, and are generally less fluent in English than the rest of Europe. That's why they appreciate when you try, but I haven't personally seen anyone get pissed off about people wanting to speak English. It's second hand since I do speak Italian, but just my observation, especially since I will pick up when someone is pissed off and expressing it in Italian.

The basic rule is don't be a jerk - you're a guest in their country, so try to do things their way and don't complain about differences. You will mostly be met at least half way just for making the attempt.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Will keep that in mind.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

I'll be doing a side trip to Pisa while in Florence. Any restaurant recommendations for lunch in Pisa?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by boybi
Um, how do I order food from the menu if I don't speak and read Italian?
The Google translate app is handy in a pinch. It works offline so you don't use your data and you can aim your camera at a sign (or menu) and it will translate the whole thing without having to type it in manually. It's not perfect but should give you a good idea of what you're ordering. And pointing to an item on a menu always works if you're unsure of the pronunciation.

When is your trip? There are many free or low-cost language apps available to help learn a little before you go. Duo lingo and memrise are two I like. Even if you don't speak the language, being able to recognize words on signs and menus is so helpful and can really increase your comfort level even somewhere new to you. Definitely worth carving out a few minutes a day to learn some basics.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone in this forum. We had a great time in Italy. It's our best vacation so far! We are planning to go back next year with the kids!
Old May 11, 2017, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Italians are very proud of their language, and are generally less fluent in English than the rest of Europe. That's why they appreciate when you try, but I haven't personally seen anyone get pissed off about people wanting to speak English. It's second hand since I do speak Italian, but just my observation, especially since I will pick up when someone is pissed off and expressing it in Italian.

The basic rule is don't be a jerk - you're a guest in their country, so try to do things their way and don't complain about differences. You will mostly be met at least half way just for making the attempt.
It seems everyone speaks very good english, most of the time even better than us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.