Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:59 am

Thanks so much !
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:56 am

FlightAware shows gates used by past Alitalia flights (but not El Al, from what I see). Today, July 9, they show AZ departures to TLV from gates E7 and E14. The gates in the satellite reachable by train, the former G gates, are E31-44.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Incidentally "sensitive flights" does not mean just American and Israeli airlines. In FCO, all flights to Israel, including those on AZ, are boarded through the same area. I don't know if this applies to AZ flights to the US.
Originally Posted by Dovster
In the past year I have twice flown VCE-FCO-TLV and in both cases had the long walk through the shopping mall, gotten on the train, went to the gate area, and took busses to the plane. In both cases I was flying AZ.
But there is nothing special about that area, except that it is crappy and you have to be bussed to the airplane, if I remember correctly, last time I flew FCO-TLV, there was a flight to BEY on the other side of that hall...
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Ditto
But there is nothing special about that area, except that it is crappy and you have to be bussed to the airplane, if I remember correctly, last time I flew FCO-TLV, there was a flight to BEY on the other side of that hall...
What is special about it is that it is much smaller than the main terminal, allowing security forces to guard it more carefully.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:11 pm

Smile How long do I need? Terminal 3 to 1

Hi: I'll be arriving in terminal 3 on Delta at 10:30 AM, then transferring to terminal 1 for a flight to Catania, Sicily. My choices are flights at 12:30 or 2:30 on Alitalia (on a separate ticket). What are the chances we'll make the 12:30 flight? I will have checked luggage that I will need to check in to Alitalia -- can that be done at a transit point or will we have to leave the secure area to check our bags? Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by florwoman
Hi: I'll be arriving in terminal 3 on Delta at 10:30 AM, then transferring to terminal 1 for a flight to Catania, Sicily. My choices are flights at 12:30 or 2:30 on Alitalia (on a separate ticket). What are the chances we'll make the 12:30 flight? I will have checked luggage that I will need to check in to Alitalia -- can that be done at a transit point or will we have to leave the secure area to check our bags? Thanks.
When you depart for Italy, ask Delta to check your bag through to Catania. Even if you're on separate tickets, DL will interline with AZ. You wouldn't need to claim your luggage and re-check it in Rome, then, because within Schengen you clear customs at the final destination. Oh, and make sure you have a boarding pass or at least the itinerary for the 2nd flight, so that you can transit airside from T3 to T1.

Link: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html

Chances are pretty good you'd be able to make a two hour connection, but since you're on separate tickets, book the later flight if you're nervous. I'll be honest - if it were me, I'd book the 12:30, but I have an EU passport and it's never taken me particularly long to clear passport control. If it matters at all, MCT on DL-AZ I-D is 60 minutes - that essentially means that the airline would sell you this as a single itinerary, and doesn't indicate minimum practical connection time, but you're working with double.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:42 am

Connecting frm easyJet to Emirates with baggage in FCO

Hi. I'm traveling home from Gatwick to Dubai via Rome on Monday as there were no direct flights. easyJet and Emirates both use T3 but I need to know if I'll need to collect bags, exit arrivals and go up to departures to check bags in for the FCO to DXB flight. I have 2 hours 20m between flights but I'm travelling with my 1 year old so would like to keep things simple. Anyone know if I can check bags at an Emirates transit desk without having to exit? Thanks

Last edited by Sonia C; Jul 14, 2017 at 3:40 am
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:37 am

I guess you should start accepting a "nightmare" scenario: I doubt that Easyjet will check your luggage through to DXB. You're talking about an LCA on one hand and its complete opposite one the other, so don't expect any good will gesture from Easyjet. Moreover, there is no such thing as an Emirates transit desk at FCO, but even if there were, they would never send an agent to pick-up your luggage and check it in (they would not be allowed, anyway).

In other words, what you foresaw in your message is the bitter reality. Given your 1 year old, a potential delay (even a small one) combined to a potential bussing, a wait of 30 minutes (good average) for your luggage and so on, I would strongly recommend an earlier flight into FCO. 140 minutes may turn out to be fine but it is actually overoptimistic. And given the different tickets, you risk a cancellation of the onward one...

PS By the way, welcome to FT!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
I guess you should start accepting a "nightmare" scenario: I doubt that Easyjet will check your luggage through to DXB. You're talking about an LCA on one hand and its complete opposite one the other, so don't expect any good will gesture from Easyjet. Moreover, there is no such thing as an Emirates transit desk at FCO, but even if there were, they would never send an agent to pick-up your luggage and check it in (they would not be allowed, anyway).

In other words, what you foresaw in your message is the bitter reality. Given your 1 year old, a potential delay (even a small one) combined to a potential bussing, a wait of 30 minutes (good average) for your luggage and so on, I would strongly recommend an earlier flight into FCO. 140 minutes may turn out to be fine but it is actually overoptimistic. And given the different tickets, you risk a cancellation of the onward one...

PS By the way, welcome to FT!
Thanks

Yes am aware easyJet won't check baggage through. Hence my query.

Sorry if it's a dumb question but Why would I be bussed anywhere if flights are in same terminal?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:59 am

Thanks very much.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sonia C
...Sorry if it's a dumb question but Why would I be bussed anywhere if flights are in same terminal?
T3 and T1 at FCO are terms that may soon disappear from usage. T3 actually describes, gross modo, everything except the T1 terminal in terms of handling. The actual building where the plane docks (or the "vast area" where planes often stop) is in a way independent of the terminal. AZ passengers (European flights) and airlines that are linked to it (e.g. Sky team minus Delta) are handled at T1, everything else at T3. Easy jet flights are handled at T3, but where the plane is physically can differ. To make matters a little more complicated, once airside, T3 and T1 designations disappear, and all arrival and departure gates (and areas) are designated by letters... You'll notice that I did not mention T2 and T5, let's forget tham in this context.

At any rate, if bussed, this will add another 10-15 minutes net to your arrival but there's no way of knowing. be that as it may, luggage retrieval for you will be in the basement of T3, downstairs from the check-in area of Emirates.

I repeat, though. this is a very risky connection, especially with your 1 year old kid!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:22 pm

AZ passengers (European flights) and airlines that are linked to it (e.g. Sky team minus Delta) are handled at T1, everything else at T3.
Just to be clear, Delta checks in at T1, has baggage claim at T3.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:41 pm

MCT FCO to PMO

We are arriving FCO via Alitalia to terminal 3 at 8:40 AM. I need to catch an Iberia flight in terminal 3 to PMO that leaves at 10:50 AM. We are US passport, and we'll be traveling with carry-on luggage. Will I have enough time to make this connection?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:41 pm

It should be fine as long as your inbound flight is on time. Apparently your connecting flight would actually be operated by Vueling. Was this separately booked (in which case you'd likely be on your own with a missed connection) and does anyone know if they'd let you print your boarding pass (or have a mobile one) before your first departure?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:54 am

We're thinking of stopping at the TIM store, airside on concourse B, on arrival. We'd expect that our AB arrival, using T1, will be on that concourse. Am I correct in recalling that, in this Schengen concourse, arriving and departing pax are not segregated and we'd have access to the store? Is there a chance that the flight would go to a remote stand, and would access be a problem then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.