Search

Florence or Naples/Amalfi coast in January

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Florence or Naples/Amalfi coast in January

I will be in Rome in January and have a few days for a side trip. I will be traveling solo. Would probably have to rely on public transportation to get around.

I have been to Florence over a decade ago, but for a very short period of time and frankly don't remember much.
Mrs. pbiflyer has been to the Amalfi coast, staying in Positano. She loved it, but it was during a warmer time than I would be visiting.

I like just wandering around, taking in the sights and sounds and general day to day life. I am sure I would love either place.
I would like to see Pompeii if I did the Amalfi coast. Would be comfortable staying in Naples or any other nearby city.

Any thoughts? Since it is January, would weather play a factor in choice?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
I'd be hesitant about the Amalfi Coast in January. The reason is because it really is a summer, water type resort that closes down in the winter. You'd be hard pressed to find a place to eat. If you went to Positano, since it's fairly large, you'd find a few restaurants and bars (coffee) open for the locals, and only one on the beach, Chez Black. There are no boats going to or from there. The smaller towns are essentially closed down except for basic services for locals, like grocery stores and bars. Amalfi will have a handful of restaurants. It's not that cold, maybe around 50 during the day, but can be windy. Ravello is basically shut down. There was just one dreary old bar open when I spent a few weeks on the Amalfi Coast during the winter a few years ago. The locals would have to take a fairly long bus ride down to Amalfi to get groceries.

All along the coast, some of the best restaurants and views are in hotels, and most of them will be closed for the winter. In other words, the feeling will be sort of gloomy and shut down, and the weather can be nasty. And since the only thing to do there is be outside, bad weather leaves you hunkered down in a hotel with not much to do.

On the other hand, January is a great time to go to Italy because places that are normally tourist heavy, such as Venice, Florence, Rome, revert back to their normal state. You generally can walk right into the Vatican Museum and into the Sistine Chapel. So Florence would be a better side trip from Rome than the Amalfi Coast.

Now, you mention Naples and a day trip to Pompeii. Naples is fascinating. It doesn't really get crowded beyond it's normal population. There are many things to see and do in or outdoors, so it doesn't really matter what the weather is. Going there, with a day on a guided trip to Pompeii wouldn't be a bad idea. But Positano, Amalfi Coast, I wouldn't recommend that in January.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Great points. Thanks.
So now down to Naples/Pompeii or Florence.
Like with most of Italy, can't really go wrong!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:01 pm

I see that Perche's arguments convinced you: good, because that saved me from writing the same answer. Naples in January is great, also because it's not hot. An occasional shower, but that also adds to its charm. Go for it!

PS And if it's not raining, go see the fish market at Pozzuoli and take a stroll in the crater of the Solfatara volcano. Then you'll have an experience that your wife hasn't had!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:56 am

Florence is great in January. Thin crowds, most establishments open. Some of the serious wine guys will take a week or two in February to go shopping, but January is excellent. Winter isn't all that harsh, temperature will likely be in the 50's. Florence's historic center is small, so you'll be able to wander the whole thing and more or less do whatever you want.

I go to Florence about once a year for 10 days or so and it's always in the Dec-Feb timeframe. Drop me a PM if you need additional help beyond what's out here in the forums.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
I did a trip to Sorrento in February. had a great time. I stayed at the Sorrento Hilton. great hotel. room had balcony view of the bay. it does pretty much close down but there were cafes open. city bus down almafi coast was great. train up to Pompeii. ferry to capri. if you have never been, don't let the month stop you. check prices for the Hilton. I would think prices in the summer would be very expensive so for me to see it means off season.

Last edited by bearkatt; Sep 30, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
xxxxx
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:20 pm

FWIW, we're planning a January 2017 trip to Italy now. We'll probably stay 5 days in Rome, and then thinking about heading south to Bari or Brindisi. When you live in Maine, Winter in Italy south of the Alps is pretty much fall weather for us.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
FWIW, we're planning a January 2017 trip to Italy now. We'll probably stay 5 days in Rome, and then thinking about heading south to Bari or Brindisi. When you live in Maine, Winter in Italy south of the Alps is pretty much fall weather for us.
Great idea with one remark: Instead of Brindisi (ugly and boring*) just go "a few" km further south to Lecce. One of the most beautiful and livable small cities in Italy!

* on one of my many trips by ferryboat to/from Italy my car broke down while disembarking and I had to spend 4 days there. Mind you, that was in 1989... My Lecce experience, in contrast, is relatively recent (2008).

Also, on the way south when driving from Rome, you absolutely have to stop in Matera to visit i Sassi!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Definitely Brindisi is the only missable city in Puglia (perhaps along with Taranto). Pretty much a port city to the Greek islands.
Going further south or inland is a guarantee of amazing towns and food. Starting with the gem that is Lecce of course, right in the middle of the two coastlines.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by KLouis
Great idea with one remark: Instead of Brindisi (ugly and boring*) just go "a few" km further south to Lecce. One of the most beautiful and livable small cities in Italy!(2008).

Also, on the way south when driving from Rome, you absolutely have to stop in Matera to visit i Sassi!
Absolutely! No one should go to Brindisi, unless forces take you there. On the other hand, Lecce is on of the best places to visit in all of Italy. And if you are driving, Matera is an absolute must. Brindisi vs. Matera and Lecce? No contest.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:25 pm

Duly noted. I've wanted to go to Lecce and figured Brindisi is close, so I thought why not visit, so maybe we'll just drive through instead and stop if anything looks interesting. More likely, though, is that we'll take the train and just pass right through to Lecce.

I don't spend nearly as much time in the south as I should.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.