Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Baggage - check-in or not for Direct Flights

Baggage - check-in or not for Direct Flights

Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ckendall
You're a better person than I am, as I am willing to fly to JFK or MIA to take AA to MXP, but I'd never do a two or three stop.
I have no problem with two stops if my long haul is something great.
We have SNA-SFO-CDG-DUB in a couple of weeks, with SFO-CDG in Air France La Premire.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
I have no problem with two stops if my long haul is something great.
We have SNA-SFO-CDG-DUB in a couple of weeks, with SFO-CDG in Air France La Premire.
I hate to say it, but I'd be on that LAX-DUB nonstop in coach if I had to. Aer Lingus or Ethiopian, might be fun. Realistically, I'd try to use miles (or dollars) to fly in business on something of that length, but I'd do the nonstop in coach over a two stop in F or a one stop in J. When all is said and done, it's a 6-8 hour difference, and it's worth noting I sleep horribly on planes anyway. I thought for a second maybe if it was just my wife and I (we have a 4 year old), but we always took the fastest option even before we had our child. Now, if it were 1 stop and a great F product (like AF), I'd consider it, but I won't add time or stops for J.

EDIT: I'll add that I've tried this before, sort of, since I'm based on the east coast - the best equivalent I can come up with is that we took 1-stops in J multiple times on AC, AF, LX, can't remember who else with decent length layovers at the hub (2-4 hours). All of them were ultimately to get to FCO, and each involved a longer layover at the foreign carrier's hub. The first time was fun, but each subsequent time, I clearly remember thinking about 30 minutes into the lounge stay on the layover that we'd be halfway there by now on the nonstop. I think it's just easier for me to relax once I'm done with the air portion.

Alright, I decided I would do it for La Premiere, because that's the one product out there I really want to experience. But that's the only exception I can think of. And if anyone thinks I'm lying, I can forward over my canceled CX F JFK-YVR holds and award segments from the past 3 years

Last edited by PWMTrav; Aug 10, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I hate to say it, but I'd be on that LAX-DUB nonstop in coach if I had to. Aer Lingus or Ethiopian. Realistically, I'd try to use miles (or dollars) to fly in business on something of that length, but I'd do the nonstop in coach over a two stop in F/J. When all is said and done, it's a 6-8 hour difference, and it's worth noting I sleep horribly on planes anyway. I thought for a second maybe if it was just my wife and I (we have a 4 year old), but we always took the fastest option even before we had our child. Now, if it were 1 stop and a great F product (like AF), I'd consider it, but I won't add time or stops for J.
Different strokes for different folks.

When we go on vacation, the vacation begins when we leave the house, not when we arrive at the destination, or more specifically 24 hour after we arrive and have had time to recover from the flight and lack of sleep. We both have no problem sleeping in the air on lie flat seats, especially with the help of a little Ambien. Add in the Air France First Class experience in the air and on the ground at CDG, including Alain Ducasse restaurant in the FCL, and this one is a no brainer for me. But it's not for everyone.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Different strokes for different folks.

When we go on vacation, the vacation begins when we leave the house, not when we arrive at the destination, or more specifically 24 hour after we arrive and have had time to recover from the flight and lack of sleep. We both have no problem sleeping in the air on lie flat seats. Add in the Air France First Class experience in the air and on the ground at CDG including Alain Ducasse restaurant in the FCL, and this one is a no brainer. But it's not for everyone.
See my edit above - I noted one exception after reconsidering, and it'd be to fly La Premiere. It's the only F product I really, really want to try. I wouldn't get a wink of sleep and I'd arrive a disaster, just like I would in coach, but it'd be worth it to try that. It would have to be from the west coast, though. From the east coast, I'll sit in the aisle in coach.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:48 am

For La Premiere - I'd make a few stops. Otherwise, it's as direct as I can get.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
A direct flight may have stops en-route, while a non-stop would not. You'd have less chance of losing bags on a non-stop than on a direct.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.