Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Where to Stay In Rome
There is an abundance of choices when deciding where to stay in Rome. We encourage you to post on this thread with questions about specific properties or with your specific needs - whether it be using hotel points, or wanting to be near certain attractions or transportation, etc. And the more details you give us (i.e. what time of year your stay will be, your budget, how many in your party), the more fitting our suggestions can be.

The consensus for the "ideal" area for the typical tourist to be based in - is around the Pantheon. The reason is three-fold.
First: The places most visitors will want to see are situated in a relatively small area within the city of Rome, and somewhat encircle the Pantheon. This map is put out by a particular hotel, but it's representative of the typical "tourist" map with the major landmarks noted. Arguably, the two sites of popular interest that are the furthest away from each other are the Vatican and the Colosseum, and according to Google maps the walking distance between them is 3.5 km, or 2.17 miles. If you were based around the Pantheon, then your walk to the Vatican would be about 2 km, or 1.25 miles and your walk to the Colosseum would also be around 2 km /1.25 miles.

Second: The area around the Pantheon is on level ground, which means you won't have to climb/and descend Rome's fabled hills every time you venture out. Here is a map of Rome's walls but it also shows its hills, colored grey, with the flat-ish areas colored beige.

Third: The area you see around the Pantheon is comprised of Rome's most quintessential piazzas and labyrinthine cobblestone streets. Here is google's satellite view of this area and beyond.
But certainly there are also wonderful spots to be based in throughout the whole area seen on that satellite map, which will put you basically in the center, if not perfectly equidistant to all the sites. (And all the common sense rules apply regarding avoiding a noisy choice: avoid being directly on a busy road, or piazza, unless assured of double paned windows).
Rome's Tourist Accommodation Tax
Below is a cut and paste from the official 060608 site (made in May 2017; verified for current accuracy in April 2019). And here's the link to the 060608 page for the most up to date information:
Roma Capitale - Tourist Accommodation Tax

Anyone staying in a hotel, bed& breakfast, holiday home, guest house or camp site in Rome, with the sole exception of hostels, is subject to pay an overnight accommodation tax for every day spent in the Eternal City.

The rates are per person.

Hotels:

1-2 Star Hotels: € 3,00 per night, max 10 days;
3 Star Hotels: € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;
4 Star Hotels: € 6,00 per night, max 10 days;
5 Star Hotels: € 7,00 per night, max 10 days;

Bed & Breakfasts, Guest Houses, Holiday Homes and Apartments:
- € 3,50 per night, max 10 days;

Tourist Farms and Residences:
- € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;

Camp Sites, Open Air Facilities and Equipped Park Areas:
- € 2,00 per night, max 5 days;

How to pay? You can pay cash or by card, at the end of your stay, directly on site. You will be given a personal receipt. The overnight accommodation tax is applicable up to a maximum of 10 consecutive nights within one solar year, provided that you spend the nights at the same accommodation facility. The payment is due for a maximum of 5 nights for the guests of camping grounds, open air facilities and areas equipped for temporary stops.
Exemptions. Persons who are residents of Rome, children up to age 10, all who accompany patients for health reasons, members of the State police force and the other armed forces, and one coach driver and one tour leader/tourist guide for every 23 group members.
Print Wikipost

Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Perche
Good start. Just a couple of comments.
Great commentary!

Some points that I got out of these comments are:
1. If Bracciano is seen, then don't see it in the summer. The time of year of the trip is uncertain but I tend to like spring. Fall might be similar. That also explains why hotels around there in the summer don't seem to be much cheaper than Rome.

2. Staying around the Vatican isn't such a smart idea, particularly if taxis are used. Originally, I thought it might be better as it's a semi-residential neighborhood, not like a downtown.

3. Rethink adding Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. Concluding that Sant Ignazio is not a substitute for the Sistine Chapel but that endless waiting can be avoided by the advice in the above post.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I'm not sure about Ostia Antica. It is very interesting but it's very strung out along the road and the road is rough (it's the original Roman one with the odd patch) plus to see the buildings you're climbing steps/over ruins etc . That said, I think disabled people can drive a fair way onto the site and they you'd see a bit more.

If you are going to hire a car then perhaps you'd be better off taking in bits of the Appian way. It's the wrong side of Rome but I think it's relatively accessible by car

I agree with the general view that this trip is practical, i'd look for a hotel around the Panthenon - it's a nice area and you'd have fun just sitting around drinking coffee. I think the tour bus is a good idea, might be the best way to see the forums which again are very strung out along the road.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by exilencfc
I'm not sure about Ostia Antica. It is very interesting but it's very strung out along the road and the road is rough (it's the original Roman one with the odd patch) plus to see the buildings you're climbing steps/over ruins etc . That said, I think disabled people can drive a fair way onto the site and they you'd see a bit more.

If you are going to hire a car then perhaps you'd be better off taking in bits of the Appian way. It's the wrong side of Rome but I think it's relatively accessible by car

I agree with the general view that this trip is practical, i'd look for a hotel around the Panthenon - it's a nice area and you'd have fun just sitting around drinking coffee. I think the tour bus is a good idea, might be the best way to see the forums which again are very strung out along the road.
Good points. Ostia Antica was recommended in a different post having to do with airport layovers when there might not be enough time to get to Rome, it wasn't about how to best address visiting Rome with someone with limited mobility. OP seemed to have a desire to not head straight to Rome, but to be in the outskirts and visit the airforce museum, a lake, and Ostia Antica.

I personally don't think that's necessary for an elderly person's first, and probably last visit to Rome. I'd also drop the whole idea of a car. The Appian Way is just a famous road leading out of Rome. Every few miles there is a church, and those churches are almost always closed. Unless someone wants to specifically see the catacombs on the Appian Way, I don't think there is much to see, except for a nice road. The catacombs involves descent down steep stairs, so I don't think it applies to the OP.

I believe you are right, stay around the Pantheon, hang out, go to the different plazas, eat, take cabs from place to place. Rome, in and of itself, without dressing it up by going outside of the city to see ruins, lakes, and museums will give both OP and his elderly companion priceless memories.

Last edited by Perche; Nov 21, 2014 at 9:45 am
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
On my first trip to Rome, I stayed out by the Vatican. It was a huge mistake. Don't stay in the Radisson near the train station either.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I believe that the standard advice is don't stay anywhere near the main railway station. Not a nice area.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
One more suggestion. I saw this, but have no feedback on how it actually works or quality:
http://www.golf-cart-tour-rome.com/
The best private car tour of Rome? The tour by golf cart! Best tour of Rome for everyone! You enjoy Rome thoroughly without walking! The best for kids, seniors, disabled & families. Even locals enjoy touring Rome this way! The best tour of Rome we ever did and, we're sure, it'll be your best tour of Rome!!! Fun and efficient, ecological and quiet tour of Rome by electric, street legal golf cart.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by bdemaria

You won't be able to book train tickets for March 2015 yet.
Looks like I can book train now. Which website should I use?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by ksucats
Looks like I can book train now. Which website should I use?
3 options. You can use,
Trenitalia.com It is in italian. On the top right there is a British flag. Click on it to get to english, but you still have to type in the names of the cities you want to go into in Italian, or else it will say city not found.

Italotreno.it is available in english. You still have to type the cities in Italian. It's a private company with newer trains, but with a less extensive network. It has far fewer departures from Rome Termini. It's main terminal is rome tiburtina, which is a bit out on the outskirts of the city, making it a little harder to get to.

Italiarail.com is powered by Trenitalia, but has complete english functionality. For some reasons, it sometimes doesn't show some city pairs, but only for obscure cities. It's the most user friendly for non-italian speakers, and it's virtually the same as being on Trenitalia, but you'll be able to read the FAQ's, email questions to them in english, understand what you are buying better, etc.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:05 am

3 options. You can use,
Trenitalia.com It is in italian. On the top right there is a British flag. Click on it to get to english, but you still have to type in the names of the cities you want to go into in Italian, or else it will say city not found.

Italotreno.it is available in english. You still have to type the cities in Italian. It's a private company with newer trains, but with a less extensive network. It has far fewer departures from Rome Termini. It's main terminal is rome tiburtina, which is a bit out on the outskirts of the city, making it a little harder to get to.

Italiarail.com is powered by Trenitalia, but has complete english functionality. For some reasons, it sometimes doesn't show some city pairs, but only for obscure cities. It's the most user friendly for non-italian speakers, and it's virtually the same as being on Trenitalia, but you'll be able to read the FAQ's, email questions to them in english, understand what you are buying better, etc.
Thank you.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:28 am

One more suggestion needed. The 4 of us arrive at milan c le at 1:00pm and will fly out of MIL at 10:00 the next morning. Any suggestions for hotels under $200? We probably want to stay downtown and spend the afternoon and evening being tourists.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by ksucats
One more suggestion needed. The 4 of us arrive at milan c le at 1:00pm and will fly out of MIL at 10:00 the next morning. Any suggestions for hotels under $200? We probably want to stay downtown and spend the afternoon and evening being tourists.
It's hard to pass up a visit to another city, and there are a few things to see in Milan. However, for a fairly early morning flight out of MXP, you generally save yourself a heap of trouble if you stay at the Sheraton Malpensa. Depending on the season it is usually under $200. If you really want to go into Milan you can take the train to Milano Centrale from the Sheraton. There is a huge hassle factor staying downtown and then getting a train or cab to the airport during morning rush hour, compared to the Sheraton MXP.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:17 am

It's hard to pass up a visit to another city, and there are a few things to see in Milan. However, for a fairly early morning flight out of MXP, you generally save yourself a heap of trouble if you stay at the Sheraton Malpensa. Depending on the season it is usually under $200. If you really want to go into Milan you can take the train to Milano Centrale from the Sheraton. There is a huge hassle factor staying downtown and then getting a train or cab to the airport during morning rush hour, compared to the Sheraton MXP.
Thanks, but I had the airport code wrong. We just had a schedule change due to airberlin and are flying out of LIN. Does that change your opinion.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:53 am

Yes. No point in staying at the Sheraton MXP. Linate is much more convenient to downtown than MXP is, and is my preferred Milan airport for that reason. It's only about 5 miles to the center of downtown. A bus costs about 5 euros, and a cab is 20-25 euros. I don't have a specific hotel to recommend in Milan as I try not to stay there. If I'm flying out of LIN I just cash in points and stay at the Hilton.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:47 am

Reportin back. We ended up at Relais Trevi 41. Under $200 a night for the four of us. Ended up in an apartment in front of trevi fountain as main hotel doesn't have rooms for four people. We absolutely loved it. Kids each had a fold out bed and wife and I have our own room. Location is perfect. Room is great and price is very reasonable. Also wifi is good (posting from it right now).
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Along the same lines... but seeking suggestions on a good area to book an apartment.

Looking for - neighborhood with activity, small(er) cafes and restaurants rather than expensive restaurants. Areas that are alive in late evening would be a huge plus (9:30pm-10pm). Not really seeking bar/club scene but we are just late evening people.

4 adults (in their 30s and 60s). From my reading on Rome, it seems Pantheon/Trevi Fountain areas would be appropriate. Spanish Steps looks nice but Frommers is calling it a more expensive area. If train stations are in 10-15min walk that would be plenty good. Just planning to walk around Rome and visit toursit attractions without spending hours in a train.

Much appreciate the suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.