Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 Day Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

8 Day Trip

My wife and I booked a last minute trip to Italy in the next couple of weeks. While August isn't our first choice work obligations make it the only time we can go for the next couple of months. Our itinerary thus far is:

8/12 - Arrive in Rome. Check out the usual Ancient Roman sites.
8/13 - Rome. Check out the Vatican.
8/14 - Train to Florence.
8/14 - Florence. Duomo/Gucci Museum
8/15 - Uffizi
8/16 - Rent car and drive to hotel in Tuscan country side (40 minutes south of Florence).
8/16 - Tuscany. Wine tasting/relaxing/exploring.
8/17 - Tuscany. Wine tasting/relaxing/exploring.
8/18 - Tuscany. Wine tasting/relaxing/exploring.
8/19 - Spend our time driving from Tuscany down the coast back to FCO. Staying at the Hilton at FCO.
8/20 - Flying back.

Will most of the small/non-touristy restaurants be closed in Rome/Florence due to the Holiday (I figure most would be closed on the 15th)? My wife and I are really into food thus any restaurant recommendations are welcome.

Any other recommendations for things to see/do in Rome or Florence?

I've read "horror" stories about driving in Italy. Is it really that bad (we've lived in Chicago, NYC, and LA so we're used to traffic)? We won't be driving in any of the big cities besides the day we leave Florence. Any tips for the road? Is parking readily available in lots of the smaller Tuscan towns (i.e. Siena, etc)? Any must see spots for our drive back to FCO (i.e. small beach, town, etc.)?

Any other tips/info would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found driving in Italy okay. But I avoided city centers, using the ring road around Rome to get to FCO. Its like the 405 - you want to know where your going and move towards the exit lanes before the last minute. I studied Street View before driving it.
The difference on the Autostrada is lane discipline, not a noted feature of American highway driving. Left lane is not the thru lane, it's the passing lane. For real. Drive in the right lane, pass on the left. Don't pass on the right. European drivers hate that. Use your mirrors way more than you would in the US. When you're passing check behind you. There will often be another, faster driver behind you. Complete your pass and move over promptly.
Watch out for crazy lorry drivers. Most aren't, but don't get too comfortable around them, because that's when one will pull a double lane switch and sudden brake.
On smaller Italian roads, I found driving no different than in the rural US. Surface quality can get pretty bad, so consider it while planning your route.
Oh, I tell everyone who rents in Italy, pony up and buy the total coverage at the rental agency. The one that absolves you of any financial responsibility under any circumstances. Don't count on your own auto insurance and certainly don't count on credit card coverage - most cards exclude Italy, including Amex Premium Coverage. Streets are narrow, parking spaces are tight, a door ding will set you back 1500 euros. One time, my Hertz Fiat 500 rental cost was doubled by the coverage. Then I got scraped in Spello and the rental agent told me I'd saved 2000 euros by being covered. It cost me nothing.
In a popular town like Siena, you'll be parking remotely and walking into the Centro. I specifically included on site parking as a requirement when I booked in Siena. Smaller towns along the Chianti trail are easier.
Get the smallest car you're comfortable in. It was tight for the 500 in some hill towns.
Consider transport out to the airport and renting there if you don't want to drive out of Florence.
A car in Italy can be a mixed blessing. It makes it easy to get from place to place on your schedule. But when you get there, it's kind of a pain to find a place to put the thing.
In fact, I wouldn't say driving in Italy is a nightmare, but parking can be.

Last edited by rickg523; Jul 24, 2016 at 9:26 pm Reason: Additional information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.