Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Plan PHX -> FLR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Amex Plat
Flight Plan PHX -> FLR

Taking the Mrs. to Italy next spring for our 10yr anniversary. We are spending several days in Florence and then plan to spend 3-4 additional days in/around Portofino in the Riviera. Now that the ticketing window has opened (depart on April 27, 2017 for hotel check-in on 4/28), I've been researching flight options but could use some guidance.

We will be departing from PHX.

-There seems to be more flight options to FCO (Rome) than FLR. Wondering if we'd be better off flying to FCO and then taking a train to Florence vs. flying directly into FLR?

-I'd prefer an airline with either a 'decent' Premium Economy class or one with the ability to upgrade from coach to business class using miles

-Lastly, what would be the better airport to depart from? Since we'll be near Genoa, we could leave from GOA instead of schlepping back to FLR.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice you can offer. I'm not very experience in European air travel, so I very much appreciate any education.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Another possible airport is Bologna (BLQ).
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:56 am
Original Poster

I found a route on Delta/Air France in Premium Economy. PHX -> JFK -> CDG -> FLR and then home via GOA. Worked out to roughly $2,200 per person which is about $6-700 more per person than coach. Seems like the best option thus far
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:25 pm

I fly in and out of FLR a fair bit. Unfortunately you don't have a 1 stop option from PHX, as only BA flies transatlantic from there and doesn't serve FLR from LHR. If I were going from Phoenix, here's what I'd try to do, in order of preference (and assuming you're not paying for business class, although realistically I probably would redeem miles for that):

If you don't have a ton of luggage, the train from FCO is a great option. It departs twice a day (check the schedule) from FCO airport through Florence, Bologna and on to Venice.

1. PHX-LAX-FCO, LAX-FCO on Alitalia. They have a pretty good PE product, great business class. Take the train from FCO to Florence. The reason this is #1 on my list is that you only have one air connection and it puts you on the foreign carrier faster.

2. If you want to avoid a train segment, PHX to any city Swiss serves, to ZRH-FLR. My preference would be LAX or ORD.

3. Same as #2, but DL/KLM through AMS to FLR.

4. The same as #2 but Air France through CDG to FLR.

2 and 3 have an extra stop but fly you right into FLR while transiting some of the easier airports in Europe.

If you are willing to buy premium economy but not business, I'd reorder and say Alitalia is still #1, but Air France is #2 (even with having to deal with CDG). If you're willing to buy business, swap #4 and #3. But if you're comfortable with CDG, bump AF to #2.

Last and certainly least. I won't even number it. AA PHX-PHL-FCO and then the train. Wouldn't shock me if it was the cheapest, though.

I'm not at all sure if this helps
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I fly in and out of FLR a fair bit. Unfortunately you don't have a 1 stop option from PHX, as only BA flies transatlantic from there and doesn't serve FLR from LHR. If I were going from Phoenix, here's what I'd try to do, in order of preference (and assuming you're not paying for business class, although realistically I probably would redeem miles for that):

If you don't have a ton of luggage, the train from FCO is a great option. It departs twice a day (check the schedule) from FCO airport through Florence, Bologna and on to Venice.

1. PHX-LAX-FCO, LAX-FCO on Alitalia. They have a pretty good PE product, great business class. Take the train from FCO to Florence. The reason this is #1 on my list is that you only have one air connection and it puts you on the foreign carrier faster.

2. If you want to avoid a train segment, PHX to any city Swiss serves, to ZRH-FLR. My preference would be LAX or ORD.

3. Same as #2, but DL/KLM through AMS to FLR.

4. The same as #2 but Air France through CDG to FLR.

2 and 3 have an extra stop but fly you right into FLR while transiting some of the easier airports in Europe.

If you are willing to buy premium economy but not business, I'd reorder and say Alitalia is still #1, but Air France is #2 (even with having to deal with CDG). If you're willing to buy business, swap #4 and #3. But if you're comfortable with CDG, bump AF to #2.

Last and certainly least. I won't even number it. AA PHX-PHL-FCO and then the train. Wouldn't shock me if it was the cheapest, though.

I'm not at all sure if this helps
Very helpful - thank you!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by dkauf
I found a route on Delta/Air France in Premium Economy. PHX -> JFK -> CDG -> FLR and then home via GOA. Worked out to roughly $2,200 per person which is about $6-700 more per person than coach. Seems like the best option thus far
I just saw this after I'd responded. See if you can route on DL/KL through AMS instead of CDG if you're going through JFK. Easier entry to Europe and connection. Keep in mind, though, that you'll be happier getting on the foreign carrier and into PE faster. I'd personally shop 2-stop options with a short connection to the foreign carrier initially. If you're okay buying separate tickets and rechecking your bags, Southwest or AA can get you to LAX, where the really good options open up. For PE, Alitalia and Air France are very good, and both fly out of LAX. If you prefer to land in FLR, Alitalia does fly FCO-FLR so you could do that if you have a lot of luggage so that you don't have to claim it til FLR. Keep in mind, FLR is ~15 by taxi to the center of the city, but the train station is right in the historic center and walkable to your hotel most likely.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by dkauf
You received a lot of great advice. Two cents I'd add is to avoid connecting at JFK or PHI. I do SFO-JFK-LHR then onto somewhere in Italy very often. I take that one because the upgrade from JFK-LHR is pretty easy, while LAX-LHR is a tough one. JFK to LHR/AMS/CDG is almost like losing a day. The trip is so short that you only get a few hours of sleep, and arrived severely jet lagged. West coast to Europe without a stop is 10-11 hours, and in business class you can get a decent amount of sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.