Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
13 Day Itineray, help us polish it up some

here is our Itinerary for our trip to Italy from Sept 7-21

Italy Itinerary (13 Nights)

September 8th, 9:00am// Arrival Flight in Venice
September 8th- 10th// VENICE (2)
September 10th, 9:00 // Departure Flight for Naples ($73)
September 10th, 10:10am// Arrival Flight in Naples
September 10th- 11th// NAPLES (1)
September 11th, 3:40pm// Ferry to Positano
September 11th- 13th// POSITANO (2)
September 13th (time?) // Ferry to Amalfi
September 13th- 15th // AMALFI COAST (2) (Not sure where)
September 15th (time?)// Ferry to Capri
September 15th-16th// CAPRI (1)
September 16th (time?)// Ferry to Naples (Napoli)
September 16th// Pick Up Rental in Naples, Drive to Rome
September 16th- 18th// ROME (2)
September 18th// Drive to Florence
September 18th- 20th// FLORENCE (2)
September 20th // Drop off Rental, Train to Venice ($40)
September 20th- 21st// VENICE (1)
September 21st, 9:35am// Departure Flight from Venice to DC

RENTAL CAR: Pick up in Naples (9/16) Drop off in Florence (9/20)= $286

Old man told me to spend an extra night in Rome and take a night away from wherever the wife decides to go to in the Amalfi Coast line.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:07 am

I hope you can cut out some of these cities. You will get to each city, unpack, walk around for a day, pack and move on to the next city.

There are several threads that talks about running through every city to say you've been there, but will not enjoy or experience Italy.

Here's a recent one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...y-end-may.html

I'd pick 3-4 cities out of those. It appears you are flying into and out of Venice. I would stay there and get as far as central Italy (Florence) then go back to Venice. You could spend a day in Siena (near Florence), visit wineries in that area another day.

Way too much traveling and not enough relaxation. You will plan to go back anyway, so I'd do Rome and the Naples area on your NEXT visit.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Ive been to Florence Bologna and Venice, the wife has not, so I'd like to see other areas, plan was to work our way up from Naples area back to Venice as you can see, I might be able to convince her to cut 1 or 2 out, we are trying to have kids, so I dont see us traveling for a few years like this again, so we want to knock out as much as possible.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:08 pm

Way too rushed for my tastes. But to each their own travelling style. At that pace, you will be able to see a couple sights in each cities and have a few meals. Not much else.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:58 pm

Two nights in Positano and then a ferry (!?) to Amalfi (15 km down the road) and another two days there? Plus One night in Capri? I think that considering that you only plan one night in Naples, two in Rome and two in Florence, that is a real overkill!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Two nights in Positano and then a ferry (!?) to Amalfi (15 km down the road) and another two days there? Plus One night in Capri? I think that considering that you only plan one night in Naples, two in Rome and two in Florence, that is a real overkill!
So what would you suggest for the amalfi coast area? Skip Capri and do?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ac921ol
Ive been to Florence Bologna and Venice, the wife has not, so I'd like to see other areas, plan was to work our way up from Naples area back to Venice as you can see, I might be able to convince her to cut 1 or 2 out, we are trying to have kids, so I dont see us traveling for a few years like this again, so we want to knock out as much as possible.
As others have said, the pace is very high. I can't imagine this being relaxing at all. If you're just trying to see the most stuff in the shortest amount of time, give it a go, but you will not return feeling like you had a vacation.

What are your goals for this trip? Are there certain things you're trying to see? Or certain types of things/places?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:27 am

No more than 2-3 days in Amalfi (or Positano), visit Capri as a day trip (from Sorrento). Spend the 2-3 days freed this way either in Naples and/or Rome.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Pick a base in the Amalfi coast and visit from/to there.
Then move to Capri (ferries from Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento) and spend at least 1 night there, as the real Capri unveils after the hordes of day trippers get onto the last ferry back to Naples.

The later at night you stroll in Capri the better. Ideally after midnight.
There you will have a great atmosphere all around.

No need to rent a car to do Naples-Rome-Florence. Parking is a nightmare in all 3 places. Take the train.
Cars are great in Italy when you plan to visit towns and borghi off the main cities, where you enjoy freedom, no plans, freestyle inspiration, all while saving money.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stay in Sorrento for the 5 nights. In fact, skip the night in Naples. Unpack once. From Sorrento, you can get ferries to Capri, Ischia, Naples, Positano, and Amalfi. Also trains to Pompeii and Naples. And the famous (or infamous, depending on your susceptibility to motion sickness) bus to Positano and Amalfi. You can visit all these places as day trips.
Sorrento is an excellent base for Amalfi, Campania, and the islands.

Last edited by rickg523; Jun 13, 2016 at 11:32 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.