Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by ODFL
That's not true, it's absolutely possible to stay airside. There are two different passport control locations for arrivals into T3, one for those ending in Rome and another for those in transit.

When you arrive, follow the signs for in transit passengers. You'll go through passport control in a hallway between T3 and T2.
What is not true? Are you writing this based on previous, pre-fire experience or are you answering my question: is the air-side connection open again since a few days?
Old May 16, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: many
Hello All,
My request is on a different topic but related to transferring from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 air-side at FCO.

I'm looking at two scenarios.
One is with flights from the USA-thruFRA-toFCO on Lufthansa, single ticket with destination FCO. I can clear customs in FRA, but I do not know if that is of any benefit as I only have a USA passport?

Upon arrival into FCO, it appears that the LH flight will arrive at Terminal 3. I would like to go to Terminal 1 in the after-security area to acquire a TIM or Vodafone SIM card.

Both stores are located airside after security in Terminal 1, they do not have stores in Terminal 3, nor pre-security. And upon arrival into FCO, I may need to finalize some work on the train ride into Rome. This would be much more preferred than waiting the hr+ ride to the city Termini including additional search for a phone store.

Being slightly confused on what I've read, I just wanted to confirm the following:
I deplane in Terminal 3, go through passport control but look for the transfers walk-way, avoid going through immigration, and stay above ground level to walk to Terminal 1?
Will that indeed keep me from exiting security and being able to obtain access to the TIM/Vodaphone shops with no onward ticket?

The other scenario is that I may need to connect to an Alitalia flight FCO-NAP. This would likely be from Terminal 1. With no luggage, can I assume the same directions as above?

After getting the SIM card, can I simply exit Terminal 1, is there a customs area I can pass through there?

Thank you very much in advance, and my apologies for my confusion.
Old May 16, 2016, 2:40 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by pcharles
Hello All,
My request is on a different topic but related to transferring from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 air-side at FCO.

I'm looking at two scenarios.
One is with flights from the USA-thruFRA-toFCO on Lufthansa, single ticket with destination FCO. I can clear customs in FRA, but I do not know if that is of any benefit as I only have a USA passport?

Upon arrival into FCO, it appears that the LH flight will arrive at Terminal 3. I would like to go to Terminal 1 in the after-security area to acquire a TIM or Vodafone SIM card.

Both stores are located airside after security in Terminal 1, they do not have stores in Terminal 3, nor pre-security. And upon arrival into FCO, I may need to finalize some work on the train ride into Rome. This would be much more preferred than waiting the hr+ ride to the city Termini including additional search for a phone store.

Being slightly confused on what I've read, I just wanted to confirm the following:
I deplane in Terminal 3, go through passport control but look for the transfers walk-way, avoid going through immigration, and stay above ground level to walk to Terminal 1?
Will that indeed keep me from exiting security and being able to obtain access to the TIM/Vodaphone shops with no onward ticket?

The other scenario is that I may need to connect to an Alitalia flight FCO-NAP. This would likely be from Terminal 1. With no luggage, can I assume the same directions as above?

After getting the SIM card, can I simply exit Terminal 1, is there a customs area I can pass through there?

Thank you very much in advance, and my apologies for my confusion.
According to ADR's site there's a TIM store located in T3 Arrivals. Here's the link for shops in T3 Arrivals, scroll down to see the TIM logo:
http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-r...lS3y_areaId=11
Old May 16, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by JBD
According to ADR's site there's a TIM store located in T3 Arrivals. Here's the link for shops in T3 Arrivals, scroll down to see the TIM logo:
http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-r...lS3y_areaId=11
Thank you for that, that would be a welcomed option!
Old May 16, 2016, 7:35 pm

If I understand correctly the map of the stores that the link, you can NOT use the TIM store in Terminal 3, as this is located in the non-Schengen area! You will have to go to the one in T1, but there is no problem there: Since you are actually coming from FRA and not the USA, you don't have to go through passport control at FCO, only customs (and, by the way, no customs at FRA, only passport control/immigration). At FCO, as you'll have not checked any luggage, you can freely move airside from the D gates where your LH flight will dock, through the C gates to the B gates in T1 and the TIM store. If the plane doesn't dock, you'll be bussed to the terminal where you can go up immediately after entering either the T3 or the T1 building (yes, after the fire they sometimes bring you there!) before going through customs and walk to the TIM store.

PS When I write Customs, don't be scared. You simply walk out through the EU arrivals exit after having bought your SIM card and gone to the luggage collection area. Yes, even without luggage, this is where the exit is.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:32 pm

The TIM shop is behind security, correct? When I was at FCO in December, I was told there wasn't one outside of security.

This is not entirely relevant to the question asked, but if you have a SIM and just need to refill, you can buy Ricaricards from the tabacchi - I usually stop at the one in the train station (connected to the airport via skybridge) on my way out. Just throwing this out there in case anyone finds this thread and needs to refill an existing SIM.

And before anyone asks why I don't do it online, it's because TIM sucks - for whatever reason, my two SIM cards will not accept online credits. It'll go as far as authorizing my credit card with the correct amount, but never charge and apply. It used to work, now it doesn't, and that's TIM in a nutshell. So now I buy a ricaricard for the trip, plus a 5 euro one on the way out to apply within 12 months if I skip a year, so that I don't lose my # and have to spend 20 euro for a new SIM. Hey, that much works.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:24 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The TIM shop is behind security, correct? When I was at FCO in December, I was told there wasn't one outside of security...
I haven't been recently myself. But according to the link I posted, ADR is saying there's one in T3 Arrivals, and I assumed Arrivals = landside. I'll re-post the link: http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-r...lS3y_areaId=11

The ADR site also shows a TIM and Vodafone After Security when looking at the "B" map. And the picture shown for that TIM (when you click on the store), is of the TIM flagship store. And when you click on the store for the T3 Arrivals TIM you see just a counter set up.

Perhaps this second smaller TIM is new-ish and the person you spoke to was unaware?

I had just researched all this for myself since I found out that Dixons is no longer there (that's where I had bought my SIMS upon arrival, it had been the only one I knew of that was landside). So I'm hoping this TIM shown on ADR's map in the Arrivals area is accessible.

On the "B" TIM store, ADR shows a phone number and email. I'll email it asking about the T3 Arrivals store and report back.

Here's the number and email if anyone else is interested:

+39 0665011050
[email protected]

And maybe an FCO bound FTer will see this thread and kindly report back with recent first hand confirmation.

Last edited by JBD; May 17, 2016 at 6:39 pm
Old May 17, 2016, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
You will have to go to the one in T1, but there is no problem there:
Thank you KLouis, I will see how it goes.

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
This is not entirely relevant to the question asked, but if you have a SIM and just need to refill, you can buy Ricaricards from the tabacchi - I usually stop at the one in the train station (connected to the airport via skybridge) on my way out. Just throwing this out there in case anyone finds this thread and needs to refill an existing SIM.
Thank you PWMTrav, I do not have a SIM for the region, so its a first off for me, but always good info to know.

Originally Posted by JBD
I haven't been recently myself. But according to the link I posted, ADR is saying there's one in T3 Arrivals, and I assumed Arrivals = landside. I'll re-post the link: http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-r...lS3y_areaId=11

The ADR site also shows a TIM and Vodafone After Security when looking at the "B" map. And the picture shown for the TIM (when you click on the store), is of the TIM flagship store. And when you click on the store for the T3 Arrivals TIM you see just a counter set up.

Here's the number and email if anyone else is interested:

+39 0665011050
[email protected]

And maybe an FCO bound FTer will see this thread and report back with first hand confirmation.
Thank you JBD, if I look closely at the map link you have provided, if you see the darkened chevron arrow that mentions ARRIVALS near the toilets, I am inclined to conclude the TIM store is still airside.

I am now scheduled purely into and out of FCO (no NAP connection involved). Going T3>T1>T3 could be a bit much to solve the various options but I'll give at least one a try and report back here.

If you here back from TIM that would hopefully be helpful news.
I've read online that the problem with your cc load JBD is likely because the only allow Italian address based credit/debit card account loads?

FWIW, Vodafone seems to be exceeding TIM now in speed and (at least 4G) coverage. They also seem to be slightly more flexible in their plans.

Thanks All, let's keep in touch on this.
Cheers!
Old May 20, 2016, 8:50 am

Connecting flight at Rome (FCO) from Alitalia to BA.

Hi,

I'm flying with Alitalia from Marseille to Rome in June and land at 19.25. I then have a connecting flight with British Airways from Rome to London Heathrow at 20:15.

The Alitalia flight lands into terminal 1 and my BA flight leaves from Terminal 3. Is 50 minutes going to be enough time? I will only have hand luggage and will be checked in on the BA flight already. I've never been through this airport so no idea on terminal transfer times and if I have to go through passport control.

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2016, 3:29 am

You'll be fine, assuming no delay of the incoming flight. 50 minutes is rather tight. Check several threads on this matter both in this and the Alitalia forums.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:24 am

Welcome to FT, huntermph.

I regret to say that the below mentioned connection has good chances to go entirely wrong and, even though you will now be able to transfer from T1 (AZ from MRS) to T3 (BA to LHR) without the tedious bus transfer, chances (good chances) are that the aircraft operating the MRS-FCO flight will park at a remote stand, resulting in at least 10/15 minutes extra in order to get to the main terminal building; from there, depending on the queues at passports & security, you could be looking at, again, an extra 10/15 minutes to reach satellite G, where your BA flight will most likely depart from. In short, even with no delays affecting your inbound, you would basically be risking it or at least feeling fairly uncomfortable, especially being in an airport you are not particularly familiar with.

G
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:00 am

There is a TIM store and Vodafone store both airside in Terminal 1 at FCO. Coming from T3, the TIM store has a large footprint in the connection hall outside of the stairs to exit and Vodfone is around the corner to the left, maybe 20m away from TIM.

There was no TIM or Vodafone elsewhere and all airport employees I asked all directed me to T1.

I chose TIM and started working from my laptop via my phone's hotspot on the train. TIM's reception was less than stellar throughout Roma, Napoli, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast.
I will be choosing Vodafone on my next opportunity.

Hope this provides any help to someone. Safe travels.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:45 am

Printing boarding passes FCO T5

I've been reading different threads on this site and am confused as to what happens at T5 in FCO and maybe all foreign airports regarding boarding passes.

I was hoping to check-in 24 hrs. ahead for my US direct bound flight on AA at my hotel and hoping to print my boarding passes, too. I have no luggage to check at the airport and thought that this would help breeze me through T5.

I have since read other people's comments about printing boarding passes and it seems that you can not print your boarding pass unless someone first views your passport. Is this correct? Does this mean that you have to check-in at T5 AA ticket counter just to get your boarding pass even though you have no luggage to check? Can you print your boarding pass at a kiosk at T5 by yourself or does an AA person need to see your passport there, too?

Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:21 am

I printed boarding passes in advance for an AA FCO departure last month. Will AA have seen this passport at any time previously, such as the inbound flight to Europe? If that's the issue, that should take care of it. I had problems printing the passes on the outbound when it was our first use of these passports with AA, but it was suggested that the problem was something else.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:38 pm

Transferring from terminal 3 to 1

Hi I am arriving into FCO on Terminal 3 from a united flight at 745am and my flight out of Terminal 1 on Alitali leaves at 925am. I am not checking in any bags, but will have to go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 and since I have a separate ticket I will have to go through security in Terminal 1. Will I have enough time to make my flight assuming no delays? Also I am a US citizen so for passport control I will have to go through a longer line I'm assuming. Please advise. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.