Reload this Page >

Recommendation for Etna Summit Tour

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendation for Etna Summit Tour

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:30 am

I worked for few companies in the past... they do pretty much the same kind of tours, and they usually go to pick you up at your hotels. You start first with a tour at 2000 meters (to see some craters, lava flows, lava tube etc..) and then you go up to 2900 meter by cable car and 4x4 bus (but you have to pay another ticket for that!, it is another company!).
I can reccomend you a new company, [text edited by Moderator]
created by young and enthusiastic guides that I personally know. They offer a few types of excursions but are very flexible.
You can also go by yourself by taking the bus to Rifugio Sapienza, but you will miss lots of things...

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 29, 2016 at 12:43 pm Reason: To comply with FT Rules which do not allow commercial promotions.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:54 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Don't take the bus to Rifigio. Unless something has changed very recently (which is always possible in Italia) there is one a day which locks you into a timeline you might find rushed.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Caligo
I worked for few companies in the past... they do pretty much the same kind of tours, and they usually go to pick you up at your hotels. You start first with a tour at 2000 meters (to see some craters, lava flows, lava tube etc..) and then you go up to 2900 meter by cable car and 4x4 bus (but you have to pay another ticket for that!, it is another company!).
I can reccomend you a new company, [text edited by Moderator]
created by young and enthusiastic guides that I personally know. They offer a few types of excursions but are very flexible.
You can also go by yourself by taking the bus to Rifugio Sapienza, but you will miss lots of things...
I actually called three of them. They all said no. I asked if they knew a company that did. They all said no one does, but one recommended the bus from Catania Centrale that goes to their place. That's when I asked friends in Palermo and they told me about Antonino.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
Or call Antonino. He is a certified, private guide in a small (two people) but highly reputable company that does Etna summit treks. I called him and he said he will definitely pick you up at your any hotel in Catania. At the base you will join other trekkers coming in by various types of transportation, and he or his partner will guide you to the summit, conditions willing.

His cell phone number is +39 331 38 50 888. He speaks enough english. His email is [email protected]. He said for you to just call or send him an email and he will go over. It's quite economical. I think he said about 90 euros for the full day.
I emailed Antonio 2 days ago. No word from him yet.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by joer1212
I emailed Antonio 2 days ago. No word from him yet.
They don't respond like in the USA, so I'd just be patient. Nobody is really sitting in that office all day. A hotel will respond right away, just about always, and a restaurant usually once a day, but when I called his office, there was no answer. I think it's too small a business for someone to be always sitting there. They probably just open it to get equipment when they're getting set to do a tour. When i called him on his cell phone he immediately answered. I don't know how good his grasp of english is because we spoke in Italian, but his website indicates that they speak english. They would almost have to. This is where Skype comes in. If you haven't yet used it you set up an account and put ten dollars in. When you make a call it deducts from that. I have hour long conversations with people in Italy almost every week, and ten dollars lasts me over a year, it's that cheap. Speaking with someone in Italy for an hour costs about 20 cents. Speaking to Antonino for five minutes would cost about three to five cents. Also, if you shoot him a message with WhatsApp I bet you'll get a quick response.

I just called his cell, but I forgot to ask about his english. First I called the office and got a recording, in british accented english. It said the office is closed, if this is urgent please call Antonino or Werner on their cell phone. I called (skipped) Antonino and he answered on the first ring. I told him we spoke a few days ago and I had asked about a friend who wants to do a tour and be picked up at her hotel. He remembered. I said she sent an email about it, but hasn't received a response. He asked when you the email was sent. I said two or three days ago. He said he hasn't answered because the office is closed. He said he will respond to it on Monday when the office is open.

I forgot to ask about his english, but since the business office phone answers in english, at least the number on his website, I have no doubt that he could speak to you in english. The call lasted 1-2 minutes, and decreased my Skype balance by a about a penny, so I wouldn't hesitate to call if you need a quick answer. His website indicates that he answers phone calls on his cell phone 7 days a week, from 7AM to 11PM. Just take the time difference into account and give it a try, or wait for him to respond to the email when he goes to the office.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:54 am
Original Poster

They don't respond like in the USA, so I'd just be patient. Nobody is really sitting in that office all day. A hotel will respond right away, just about always, and a restaurant usually once a day, but when I called his office, there was no answer. I think it's too small a business for someone to be always sitting there. They probably just open it to get equipment when they're getting set to do a tour. When i called him on his cell phone he immediately answered. I don't know how good his grasp of english is because we spoke in Italian, but his website indicates that they speak english. They would almost have to. This is where Skype comes in. If you haven't yet used it you set up an account and put ten dollars in. When you make a call it deducts from that. I have hour long conversations with people in Italy almost every week, and ten dollars lasts me over a year, it's that cheap. Speaking with someone in Italy for an hour costs about 20 cents. Speaking to Antonino for five minutes would cost about three to five cents. Also, if you shoot him a message with WhatsApp I bet you'll get a quick response.

I just called his cell, but I forgot to ask about his english. First I called the office and got a recording, in british accented english. It said the office is closed, if this is urgent please call Antonino or Werner on their cell phone. I called (skipped) Antonino and he answered on the first ring. I told him we spoke a few days ago and I had asked about a friend who wants to do a tour and be picked up at her hotel. He remembered. I said she sent an email about it, but hasn't received a response. He asked when you the email was sent. I said two or three days ago. He said he hasn't answered because the office is closed. He said he will respond to it on Monday when the office is open.

I forgot to ask about his english, but since the business office phone answers in english, at least the number on his website, I have no doubt that he could speak to you in english. The call lasted 1-2 minutes, and decreased my Skype balance by a about a penny, so I wouldn't hesitate to call if you need a quick answer. His website indicates that he answers phone calls on his cell phone 7 days a week, from 7AM to 11PM. Just take the time difference into account and give it a try, or wait for him to respond to the email when he goes to the office.
Thanks.
I actually speak Italian, so I could communicate with him that way (though, my English is better).
But, to be honest, I'm kind of reluctant to call to book a tour. I prefer to do it on a website. I'm a visual person, and like to see everything written out and laid in front of me. I'll just sit tight and wait for an email response.
Thanks, again, for your help, Perche. You've been better than any tour operator I've dealt with so far.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Update: I received the following email this morning:

Dear Joseph,

thank you very much for your enquiry. Our trekking tour only takes place if a minimum of 6 people is reached. At the moment we don’t have any other reservations for the period you indicated, but we are happy to put you on a waiting list and contact you as soon as other bookings reach our office.

As an alternative I would also like to suggest you our daily jeep tour, we won’t get quite as high (approx. 2000m) but we will also hike on an extinct crater and the tour is very adventurous and comprehensive.

I’m sending you the link in the following:

https://www.go-etna.com/jeep-excursion-to-mount-etna/

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Best regards,

Anne Weizenegger

I'm going to go on their waiting list, and try to book this tour with another company in the meantime.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:54 pm

Update: I received the following email this morning:

Dear Joseph,

thank you very much for your enquiry. Our trekking tour only takes place if a minimum of 6 people is reached. At the moment we don’t have any other reservations for the period you indicated, but we are happy to put you on a waiting list and contact you as soon as other bookings reach our office.

As an alternative I would also like to suggest you our daily jeep tour, we won’t get quite as high (approx. 2000m) but we will also hike on an extinct crater and the tour is very adventurous and comprehensive.

I’m sending you the link in the following:

https://www.go-etna.com/jeep-excursion-to-mount-etna/

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Best regards,

Anne Weizenegger

I'm going to go on their waiting list, and try to book this tour with another company in the meantime.
I wouldn't worry. Almost no one books this far in advance, so you should be OK.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Update: I ended up booking an Etna summit tour with a company called "Etna People" for 149 Euro, which includes pickup and drop off service from my hotel in Taormina.

This morning, I received an email from them informing me that there is a "slight" problem with my tour. Three people have just canceled, and a minimum of 4 are required to do the tour. Therefore, unless they get at least 3 more people to book, my tour is cancelled. They offered me alternative tours (Etna Sunset Tour, etc.), but I'm not interested in these.

Mind you, I specifically booked a hotel in Taormina for no other reason but because their tour starts there.

Frankly, I'm tired of all these companies. I find them to be extremely unreliable. I also get the sense that they are rag tag operations run on a shoestring. What's ironic is that the reason I was hiring a tour company to begin with was to minimize stress and maximize convenience, but these companies have only complicated my plans and increased my stress!

At this point, I am willing to do this excursion solo. It will probably be less stressful and significantly cheaper.

Does anyone have any info on how I can reach Etna's summit (or close to it) on my own?

I'm guessing I will have to:

(1) Get to Rifugio Sapienza (preferably by public transport [bus or train])

(2) Transfer to the cable car, which will take me up to 2500 meters (how much does this cost?)

(3) Transfer to a truck to reach the summit at 3000+ meters (cost?)

Do I have this right? Am I missing something? Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

P.S. Most tour companies include exploring lava caves on Mt. Etna. Can I also do this on my own, without a tour guide?

Last edited by joer1212; Aug 6, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:52 am

I just got back from Rome, and I posted on another thread, that Rome was something like a ghost town. The only time I've seen it so empty was in January or February. And when I asked why is it so empty, from friends, to bar tenders, to taxi cab drivers, they all had the same response:"terrorismo." We don't feel that over here, but they are feeling it heavily.

People are not traveling because of fear of terrorism. I told every cab driver, bar tender, whomever, that Americans would never have a fear of that. We are not built that way. We would never stand for that, or give in.

Then they would tell me that all the cancellations are from France and Germany, which is a huge portion of the business. I'll try to make some phone calls. Please give me your dates, and I'll try.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

I just got back from Rome, and I posted on another thread, that Rome was something like a ghost town. The only time I've seen it so empty was in January or February. And when I asked why is it so empty, from friends, to bar tenders, to taxi cab drivers, they all had the same response:"terrorismo." We don't feel that over here, but they are feeling it heavily.

People are not traveling because of fear of terrorism. I told every cab driver, bar tender, whomever, that Americans would never have a fear of that. We are not built that way. We would never stand for that, or give in.

Then they would tell me that all the cancellations are from France and Germany, which is a huge portion of the business. I'll try to make some phone calls. Please give me your dates, and I'll try.
Thanks for the kind offer offer, Perche, but I've decided that I will do Etna independently. I just don't trust any of these companies anymore.

Rome being a ghost town is certainly good news for me, as I will be visiting in October. Let's just hope the trend holds up.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:09 pm

Rome being a ghost town is certainly good news for me, as I will be visiting in October. Let's just hope the trend holds up.
I understand the want as a traveler, but I hope the trend doesn't hold up. The recent European terrorism has been tough on Italy. It wasn't that long ago that domestic terrorism was a problem (basically the entire 1970's into the early 80's) and people remember it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.