Reload this Page >

Florence to Nice/Cannes/Marseille transportation options

Florence to Nice/Cannes/Marseille transportation options

Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Perche
The don't show local train schedules until about a week before. You have to wait.
But there must be a way to book them more than a week out, no?
Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by philemer
But there must be a way to book them more than a week out, no?
Thanks
But not really for two months ahead...
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
I don't know the exact cutoff day. I just know that regional trains don't put up their schedules that much in advance. I think it's about a week, but it would depend on the number of weekends. Local trains don't have assigned seats. You just get on them. They don't have a schedule printed out in advance.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
But not really for two months ahead...
I don't know the exact cutoff day. I just know that regional trains don't put up their schedules that much in advance. I think it's about a week, but it would depend on the number of weekends. Local trains don't have assigned seats. You just get on them. They don't have a schedule printed out in advance.
Thanks. Would it be smart to book 2 tix now from Firenze to Pisa and then book the regional a few days in advance?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Train in Italy is not a big thing. Sometimes you can save a decent amount of money, like with the 2 for 1 Saturday special that is usually running. You can also sometimes save a big amount just booking ahead because they release a few big sales. From Florence to Pisa I would never buy a ticket in advance. The ticket probably costs less than ten dollars, so what are you going to save? I would only do it if you have some fear about walking up to the machine or window, and buying a ticket for when you want it. I wouldn't give up the flexibility to save maybe less than a euro. Florence to Pisa is nothing.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Train in Italy is not a big thing. Sometimes you can save a decent amount of money, like with the 2 for 1 Saturday special that is usually running. You can also sometimes save a big amount just booking ahead because they release a few big sales. From Florence to Pisa I would never buy a ticket in advance. The ticket probably costs less than ten dollars, so what are you going to save? I would only do it if you have some fear about walking up to the machine or window, and buying a ticket for when you want it. I wouldn't give up the flexibility to save maybe less than a euro. Florence to Pisa is nothing.
Grazie!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:59 am

See this thread on taking the train from Siena towards the Riviera:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...nice-rome.html

If you start at Florence, you can take about an hour off of time - but note my comment on 03-01-15 8:57 am in the thread. I believe I had 7 min to change trains and I think it was in Empoli where I missed it by about 10 seconds. It was a Saturday in September and the station was very crowded. I did not know which way to go - I had to walk down the stairs and then up to the right track - but which way to turn? There was no one to ask, other than fellow travelers. I got pointed the right way, ran up the steps, then was looking for the ticket validator. The train was right in front of me and the doors closed. I ended up taking another route than I had expected/paid for - otherwise the next train that followed the same route was a wait of about 2 1/2 hrs. I took the next train towards Pisa. I did not get off and from comments here, probably not worth the effort. If you have the time, a quick trip for the usual picture, but it could add a few hours to your final destination. Moral of the story: make sure you have at least 15 min between trains.

I had to switch trains in Ventimiglia as well to get to Nice - another VERY busy station and not a lot of information in front of you to direct you to which track you need to be on.

Also, pack light. Most stations you have to go up and down steps - no ramps or elevators that I saw (some larger cities have them, just not the little towns). You have to carry your luggage up and down the stairs.

I still love traveling by train!
Old May 26, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

To simplify things I think we'll take the train from Firenze>Milano>Nice-ville, spend the night and look around a bit, and then take the train to Marseille. There we will rent a car and drive around Provence for our last 3 days. We fly home from MRS.

Thanks for all your suggestions & information.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
If this is simply for you, go for it.

BTW: Nearly every day there are 3 trains [ THELLO: https://www.thello.com/Marseille-Mil...res/index.html ] from Genova Piazza Principe to Nice-Ville directly and even one to Marseille-Saint-Charles directly with stop at Nice-Ville. With only two changes you can easily arrive Nizza or even Marseilles from Firenze on the coast route.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
If this is simply for you, go for it.

BTW: Nearly every day there are 3 trains [ THELLO: https://www.thello.com/Marseille-Mil...res/index.html ] from Genova Piazza Principe to Nice-Ville directly and even one to Marseille-Saint-Charles directly with stop at Nice-Ville. With only two changes you can easily arrive Nizza or even Marseilles from Firenze on the coast route.
I see a 07:38 train, Firenze to Genova, arriving 10:21. And then Genova>Nice dep. @ 12:48 and arr. 16:00. Is the train close enough to the coast to provide superior views vs the Firenze-Milano-Nice route?
Thanks for the suggestion!!
Old May 28, 2016, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by philemer
I see a 07:38 train, Firenze to Genova, arriving 10:21. And then Genova>Nice dep. @ 12:48 and arr. 16:00. Is the train close enough to the coast to provide superior views vs the Firenze-Milano-Nice route?
Thanks for the suggestion!!
http://www.treni-internazionali.com/...hello2015.html

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; May 28, 2016 at 12:45 am
Old May 28, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's amazing the things one can find on YouTube. Thank you. I like it. ^
Old May 29, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
For the train through Milano - you DO want to book that one in advance as they use airline-style revenue management pricing where the price increases closer to departure time. Also, pay attention to which station you are connecting at in Milano.

As for renting cars - I find that using consolidators rather than expedia/kayak/... is usually a lot cheaper in Europe. Personally I've used economycarrentals, rentalcars, and a few others. Consolidators usually include local rental agencies as well as main rental car places.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:54 pm

A couple of points that may have been figured out in the weeks that this thread has gone:
  1. The point isn't so much that trains are only bookable on short notice; it's that it takes time for the schedules to be complete and bookable until close to the summer schedule change, June 12 this year. Incomplete schedules may have shown with no indication of that.
  2. The Florence-Pisa trains are mostly not bookable; they're commuter trains that don't take reservations, and you stamp your ticket at a machine before boarding. The 7.38 Florence-Genoa train that you've found is an exception, and note that it leaves from Campo di Marte station, not the main S.M.N. station.
Also note that the connecting station in Genoa is Piazza Principe station, not Brignole where it stops first, which is also a big station.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
A couple of points that may have been figured out in the weeks that this thread has gone:
  1. The point isn't so much that trains are only bookable on short notice; it's that it takes time for the schedules to be complete and bookable until close to the summer schedule change, June 12 this year. Incomplete schedules may have shown with no indication of that.
  2. The Florence-Pisa trains are mostly not bookable; they're commuter trains that don't take reservations, and you stamp your ticket at a machine before boarding. The 7.38 Florence-Genoa train that you've found is an exception, and note that it leaves from Campo di Marte station, not the main S.M.N. station.
Also note that the connecting station in Genoa is Piazza Principe station, not Brignole where it stops first, which is also a big station.
Great info. Grazie!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.