Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sardinia in October?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Sardinia in October?

Could someone please advise whether it is advisable to visit Sardinia around mid-October? Obviously it is not going to be very warm and there will be a chance of rain, but are we likely to find that small, local cafes & trattoria will be closed? What about other opportunities to soak up some local culture?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:54 pm

Sardinia, similarly to the other big Med islands (Sicily, Corsica, Crete, etc.) are "not" islands. There are hundreds of thousands of people living there, most of them glad to have the islands for themselves. Some tourist places may be closed, but the ones worth a visit will be open, as will restaurants. So, just three words: Go for it!

PS I forgot: you can still enjoy swimming in the Mediterranean on October!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:11 am

I think October is a very good time to go. You're visiting when everyone else isn't.

As KLouis said, people live in these places. The good stuff probably doesn't close. It's like coming up here to Maine in the winter and taking stock of what stays open - everything else is for the tourists. I love going places in the shoulder and off season.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I spent the last week of October + 1st 10 days of November there. Other than the overpriced Costa Smeralda being mostly closed (that was our first stop, due to a deal), most of the "real" places are open. To be sure, the tourist traps elsewhere were closed too.

The sea is definitely warm enough to swim in (we did until 9 November). You just have to monitor which way the wind is coming from and avoid exposed beaches/bays.

Mostly warm and sunny when we were there too.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:38 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
yes, you will be fine; enjoy it. There are some good indoor activities if you are a student of history, art and culture so when the rains come there is still much to entertain.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:17 pm

Just make sure that you make hotel reservations in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.