Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frecciarossa Milan to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Frecciarossa Milan to Rome

My flight is due to arrive MXP at 10:40 am and I want to book the train from Milan to Rome but not sure as to what the earliest time I should? Also is there a big difference between 1st and 2nd class?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:56 pm

Assuming no EU passport, give yourself 1.5-2 hrs past your arrival time to catch the Malpensa Express (the train from MXP to Milano Centrale) and 20 or so minutes to get on the Frecciarossa from Milano Centrale to Rome. There isn't a train from MXP right to Rome last I checked - there was, but they suspended that service, if I recall. So you'll have to go MXP-Milano Centrale-Roma.

First class has wider seats, generally 2-1 configuration. Second class is 2-2. Otherwise, both have luggage racks and comfortable seats.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by diznutty
My flight is due to arrive MXP at 10:40 am and I want to book the train from Milan to Rome but not sure as to what the earliest time I should? Also is there a big difference between 1st and 2nd class?
Depending on the lines and time of day, it can take 30 minutes or more to get through passport control. Then, 15-20 minutes to get to the Malpensa Express and buy your ticket, depending on the lines at the machine or booth. Then, up to 20 minutes waiting for the train to Milano Centrale. Then, about 45 minutes to get to Centrale, and 20 minutes or more to find your train and get on. Then, leave yourself about 30 minute cushion. So, I'd say about 2 hours to be safe.

On the other hand, are you sure you want to do that? Sometimes, there are big savings booking in advance. Other times, and advance ticket is the same price as a walk up ticket from the machines 15 minutes before the flight. If you have already purchase a ticket, and you are delayed and miss your ticket, you will have thrown out over 100 euros per ticket. Often I'll wait, and buy them at the train station. This way there's no added stress if my flight is delayed, if I get lost, if I want to stop for a cafe' or glass of wine, etc.

For example, right now Trenitalia is showing 109 euros for a business class ticket for this route today. It's showing the same price for this route one month from now, so you're not saving anything by locking yourself into purchasing a specific seat on a specific train by buying it before you get to the station.

For the same route tomorrow and one month from now on Executive Class (It's not called first and second class on this train, it's Business and Executive) it is 209 euros. Frankly, the difference between Business and Executive is negligible, and not worth the extra 100 euros unless you are on an expense account. The seat is marginally wider, slightly more cushioned, and with slightly better leather, but it's hardly noticeable. It's certainly not worth an extra 100 euros per ticket.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:20 am

My two cents: For my arrival I buy a Base (full fare) ticket in advance and change it if I'm running ahead or behind. I give myself a couple of hours just to be safe (even with an EU passport). Base fares also (generally) let you board another train of the same category with a small penalty paid on board, but since you get to change before departure or up to like an hour after, you can change it if you have the time and not pay the 8 euro.

The reason I do it is because I've been on a lot of very full trains, and have sometimes arrived and not been able to move my ticket up because the morning trains were sold out. I made it a practice to have a ticket that I'll very likely make just to be safe and ensure I have transportation. My last trip in December, in fact, was on a train booked solid and everything before it sold out as well, but it was also on the weekend of a national holiday.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much!!! I have EU so that shouldn't be an issue but you answered my question in should I buy ahead or wait and I will wait so I'm not stressed about missing the train.

Thanks again!!!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Perche
Depending on the lines and time of day, it can take 30 minutes or more to get through passport control. Then, 15-20 minutes to get to the Malpensa Express and buy your ticket, depending on the lines at the machine or booth. Then, up to 20 minutes waiting for the train to Milano Centrale. Then, about 45 minutes to get to Centrale, and 20 minutes or more to find your train and get on. Then, leave yourself about 30 minute cushion. So, I'd say about 2 hours to be safe.

On the other hand, are you sure you want to do that? Sometimes, there are big savings booking in advance. Other times, and advance ticket is the same price as a walk up ticket from the machines 15 minutes before the flight. If you have already purchase a ticket, and you are delayed and miss your ticket, you will have thrown out over 100 euros per ticket. Often I'll wait, and buy them at the train station. This way there's no added stress if my flight is delayed, if I get lost, if I want to stop for a cafe' or glass of wine, etc.

For example, right now Trenitalia is showing 109 euros for a business class ticket for this route today. It's showing the same price for this route one month from now, so you're not saving anything by locking yourself into purchasing a specific seat on a specific train by buying it before you get to the station.

For the same route tomorrow and one month from now on Executive Class (It's not called first and second class on this train, it's Business and Executive) it is 209 euros. Frankly, the difference between Business and Executive is negligible, and not worth the extra 100 euros unless you are on an expense account. The seat is marginally wider, slightly more cushioned, and with slightly better leather, but it's hardly noticeable. It's certainly not worth an extra 100 euros per ticket.
Note, the above timeline assumes you are not checking any bags. If you are, then you should add in another half hour and make it two and a half hours. I never check a bag so I don't think about it, but luggage will make doing it in two hours a stretch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.