Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Linate Airport hotel recommendation please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Linate Airport hotel recommendation please

We will be dropping a car off at Europcar's Linate (LIN) airport location on Saturday Aug 6.

What is the nicest airport hotel for LIN? We will arrive somewhat latish on Saturday night from Lake Como. We'd like to drop the car off at 21:30 and catch a shuttle to the hotel. I understand that perhaps we'll have to get a shuttle to the airport from car return and then from airport to hotel. Or perhaps a cab would be much quicker (but at what cost?).

I would have thought that the Crowne Plaza was pretty decent compared to the Holiday Inn, but the review seems fairly mediocre at best.

We have a flight out at 11:00 on AF to CDG and we will have access to the lounge there.

Can someone tell me the best airport hotel for LIN? Just need shuttle services really. I don't want to stay in Milan proper.

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:35 am

Whilst I haven't read the reviews concerning the Crowne Plaza, I can however say (after 10+ business stays) that this is not the property I would be looking to book with my own money. That said, if it's just for one night, then go for it. There's a free shuttle bus running at certain times whereas a taxi will cost you approximately 25 Euros each way.

P.S.: if you are eventually going to stay there for the night, then make sure to visit the nearby restaurant Osterietta (lovely fish there), avoiding the hookers in the rather noisy hotel bar and the drunk gentlemen approaching and trying to chat to them as if they were talking with the girl next door.

G
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I understand you don't want to stay in Milan, but a cab from Linate to central Milan is around 15 to 20 Euros (depending on where). If I were you I'd take a taxi into the city. Walk around the Duomo/Fashion Quadrilateral for an hour and take a morning cab to the airport. Much more fun. Linate is in pretty close (compared to Malpensa) and is in a pretty dull and industrial area.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
I've stayed at this place on a few occasions prior to an early flight out of LIN.

http://www.starhotels.com/en/our-hot...-palace-milan/

It's clean, modern and comfortable and in my view very well priced.

It's not that close to LIN, but nor are the ostensible 'airport hotels'.

It's in an unattractive suburb, but has a very good, good value restaurant – and there are other decent restaurants nearby. It's a 2-minute walk from the metro station.

A taxi to / from LIN during non peak times takes around 10 minutes.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

So in the end, I ended up booking the Westin Palace in Milan using cash and points. It was $110 + 6,000 SPG points.

I hadn't realized that the airport was so much closer to Milan than MXP and it seemed silly to spite myself for just a few dollars.

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:31 am

You made the right choice.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:45 am
Original Poster

If there was a proper airport hotel, I might have done that, but it seemed that even the "airport hotels" didn't have reasonable shuttles etc. We'll go into Milan and figure it out. We were there in 2012 and stayed at the Sheraton Diana. This time, we'll try the Westin Palace for the same price.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Last edited by farbster; Dec 16, 2015 at 10:46 am Reason: additional info
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:36 pm

The Westin Palace is fine (but better if you are SPG-Plat, with quite a decent breakfast buffet; if not, plenty of cafes nearby with interesting offerings). There are plenty of good restaurants nearby if you are in time for dinner. And the cab to Linate is under 20 Euros.

You can leave the hotel at 9 to 9:30; just beware that from Linate AF is most likely AZ (Alitalia code share).
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

I don't think you're correct about the Alitalia situation, as our flight is to CDG and connects on AF to IAD. I'll double check just to make sure. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by ckendall
The Westin Palace is fine (but better if you are SPG-Plat, with quite a decent breakfast buffet; if not, plenty of cafes nearby with interesting offerings). There are plenty of good restaurants nearby if you are in time for dinner. And the cab to Linate is under 20 Euros.

You can leave the hotel at 9 to 9:30; just beware that from Linate AF is most likely AZ (Alitalia code share).
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by ckendall
just beware that from Linate AF is most likely AZ (Alitalia code share).
Not really.

G
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by farbster
I don't think you're correct about the Alitalia situation, as our flight is to CDG and connects on AF to IAD. I'll double check just to make sure. Thanks for the heads up.
Actually I think you are right about the 11am flight. I fly LIN-CDG a lot and last time (early December) both flights were AZ. In any event, when you get to LIN, the check is in is where it says Alitalia (at the first bit of the terminal when you arrive).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.