Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Where to Stay In Rome
There is an abundance of choices when deciding where to stay in Rome. We encourage you to post on this thread with questions about specific properties or with your specific needs - whether it be using hotel points, or wanting to be near certain attractions or transportation, etc. And the more details you give us (i.e. what time of year your stay will be, your budget, how many in your party), the more fitting our suggestions can be.

The consensus for the "ideal" area for the typical tourist to be based in - is around the Pantheon. The reason is three-fold.
First: The places most visitors will want to see are situated in a relatively small area within the city of Rome, and somewhat encircle the Pantheon. This map is put out by a particular hotel, but it's representative of the typical "tourist" map with the major landmarks noted. Arguably, the two sites of popular interest that are the furthest away from each other are the Vatican and the Colosseum, and according to Google maps the walking distance between them is 3.5 km, or 2.17 miles. If you were based around the Pantheon, then your walk to the Vatican would be about 2 km, or 1.25 miles and your walk to the Colosseum would also be around 2 km /1.25 miles.

Second: The area around the Pantheon is on level ground, which means you won't have to climb/and descend Rome's fabled hills every time you venture out. Here is a map of Rome's walls but it also shows its hills, colored grey, with the flat-ish areas colored beige.

Third: The area you see around the Pantheon is comprised of Rome's most quintessential piazzas and labyrinthine cobblestone streets. Here is google's satellite view of this area and beyond.
But certainly there are also wonderful spots to be based in throughout the whole area seen on that satellite map, which will put you basically in the center, if not perfectly equidistant to all the sites. (And all the common sense rules apply regarding avoiding a noisy choice: avoid being directly on a busy road, or piazza, unless assured of double paned windows).
Rome's Tourist Accommodation Tax
Below is a cut and paste from the official 060608 site (made in May 2017; verified for current accuracy in April 2019). And here's the link to the 060608 page for the most up to date information:
Roma Capitale - Tourist Accommodation Tax

Anyone staying in a hotel, bed& breakfast, holiday home, guest house or camp site in Rome, with the sole exception of hostels, is subject to pay an overnight accommodation tax for every day spent in the Eternal City.

The rates are per person.

Hotels:

1-2 Star Hotels: € 3,00 per night, max 10 days;
3 Star Hotels: € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;
4 Star Hotels: € 6,00 per night, max 10 days;
5 Star Hotels: € 7,00 per night, max 10 days;

Bed & Breakfasts, Guest Houses, Holiday Homes and Apartments:
- € 3,50 per night, max 10 days;

Tourist Farms and Residences:
- € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;

Camp Sites, Open Air Facilities and Equipped Park Areas:
- € 2,00 per night, max 5 days;

How to pay? You can pay cash or by card, at the end of your stay, directly on site. You will be given a personal receipt. The overnight accommodation tax is applicable up to a maximum of 10 consecutive nights within one solar year, provided that you spend the nights at the same accommodation facility. The payment is due for a maximum of 5 nights for the guests of camping grounds, open air facilities and areas equipped for temporary stops.
Exemptions. Persons who are residents of Rome, children up to age 10, all who accompany patients for health reasons, members of the State police force and the other armed forces, and one coach driver and one tour leader/tourist guide for every 23 group members.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Rome which would be fun for three eighteen-year-old girls whom I am taking to Rome this summer? They love anything fashionable, novel, etc. Any type of lodging (Hotel, B and B, pensione, etc.) would be acceptable as long as clean and safe. Central location would be a plus. I don't mind spending a little more, but nothing on the extreme end of luxury.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by LaurieWhitten
I don't mind spending a little more, but nothing on the extreme end of luxury.
An approximate budget would be useful.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

If possible I would hope to keep it under $400/night per room, but that might be unrealistic.??
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LaurieWhitten
If possible I would hope to keep it under $400/night per room, but that might be unrealistic.??
That's still a little unclear. Seems there are 4 people. Is that 4 rooms (1 per) @ $400 each? If so, would you be willing to double up? Or is that $400 per room double occupancy?

If it's $400 per person and you're willing to go 2 to a room, you should have a number of choices. Something like the Cavalieri Hilton would be a possibility. That, depending on your/their sense of stylish may hit the mark (the pool there is quite the scene and overlooks Rome). Depending on the teen, it could be interesting or not their idea of "cool". The neighborhood isn't much (residential) but there's a shuttle to downtown. Good art collection...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
You might look into the "hip suites" in Trastevere - which is a very interesting area or the "Intown Luxury House" which is located just off the Via del Corso - and thus in the heart of Rome's shopping district.

Unlike the US, you won't be able to book 4 adults into one room, so you'll either need two doubles or a triple and a single.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bdemaria:20296158
You might look into the "hip suites" in Trastevere - which is a very interesting area or the "Intown Luxury House" which is located just off the Via del Corso - and thus in the heart of Rome's shopping district.

Unlike the US, you won't be able to book 4 adults into one room, so you'll either need two doubles or a triple and a single.
Great tip. The hip suites look very nice and great value for Rome and Trastevere is a great area.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:48 pm

You might look at renting an apt-- might be cheaper than 2 rooms (plus would make supervision a little easier/less intrusive).
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the advice.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Rome Hotel Advise for July 2014

I will be spending four nights in Rome the third week of July 2014. I am interested in a 4 or 5-Star hotel with GREAT air-conditioning in the room. The areas I am interested in staying are Via Veneto, Spanish Steps, or Piazza Navona. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:10 pm

http://www.hotelsolealpantheon.com/

I've stayed in Rome twice and this is by far one of the most centrally located hotels. It is located next to the Pantheon and within walking distance or a short cab ride to all attractions. They have a very nice buffet breakfast and there are many reasonably priced restaurants just s few minutes walk away from the overpriced restaurants located next to the Pantheon.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
http://www.hotelforte.com/en/home.html

Take a look at this one. It's only a few yards from (the foot of) the Spanish Steps. I've never stayed there, but my mother-in-law did last summer, and said it was excellent.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:10 am

You want this hotel:

http://www.hotelindigorome.com/

I stayed prior to the renovation, when it was the St. George. My room was on the top floor and had a patio. It was excellent. The rest of the room was also very nice. It's not in the dead center of Rome - it's within the city walls and closer to the Vatican, but walkable to a lot of things.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Intercontinental De La Ville Roma - it's at the top of the Spanish Steps - we stayed there in Sept. - very nice.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Rome hotel suggestions.

Ok. I have the flights, now it am ready to start booking the rest of the trip and have no clue about Italy at all. There are 4 of us. Kids are 11 and 13. We fly into FCO in March and will stay for four nights. We then will go to Milan. I don't have that transportation booked, but am thinking train. We will want to do the typical tourist stuff in Rome with maybe one day trip out of the city. I am looking for a hotel for the four of us. My thoughts are I want it to be in walking distance of an area where we will want to visit and also walking distance to easy public transportation. Close to the train station that we will use to go to Milan won't hurt as I am thinking taking the early morning train. Looking for something under $200 a night. Thanks in advance for suggestions for my situation.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
We stayed at the Domus Romana which was walking distance to most major sites- Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and to the railway station as well as close to an underground railway stop. The restauraunt across the road was nice and the immediate area not too touristy. There was a gelateria just down the road. It's marketed as a 4* but I'm not sure it quite qualifes as one. Nice hotel anyway. I don't know what it would cost though (I booked it in a bundle with flights) and it isn't in a chain so no points.

The general advice (which strikes me as sound) it to avoid the area immediately around Termini station because it's quite rough at night - there's certainly plenty of pushy restauraunteers at all hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.