Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

First time in Milan for 2 nights - where to stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

Hi all, I am visiting Milan for the first time (also Europe for the first time, if you don't count my long connection in Frankfurt). I would like to stay somewhere convenient - close to tourist sites and close to available public transportation. I have what seems like unlimited Marriott (lifetime plat), Hilton (gold), and IHG (spire) points, but do not mind shelling out some money for a nice hotel with a good view and classical Italian architecture. However, location is my top concern. I am mainly interested in seeing cathedrals, historical sites, local culture, and eating delicious food. Is staying close to the Duomo di Milano a good option?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Sep 27, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Did you try doing a search?
"Milan hotels" produces quite a few informative threads, including http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...uro-night.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...tt-hilton.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Sep 27, 2015 at 12:53 pm Reason: added second thread link
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Staying near the center is fine for a short stay; you will be near the Duomo/Galleria and the Fashion District. The Pinacoteca Ambrosiana and Brera museum and neighborhood are nearby, as is the Castello Sforzesco. That and the last supper should keep you occupied for a few days.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:23 am

First time Italy and you chose Milano! Sort of strange, unless you're there for business. At any rate, not much more to see than what ckendall described. As for the view, Milano being completely flat, you'd have to get out of the city to get a glimpse of the Alps in the distance (if not foggy, which this time of year is standard) as well as the "foothills" of the Apennines in the Oltrepo. Food is fine, although mostly cooked with butter rather than olive oil, which "starts" ~200-300 km to the South.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:06 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Are good small restaurants easy to find? I'll be traveling alone and don't want to go to big fancy restaurants.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:02 am

How much do you want to spend eating? Do you want real local food (parts of beef and pigs that you might not see in the US), "Italian food" (that you see in the US) or something else?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:14 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

No budget on food, but I can't imagine it being that much if I stay away from fancy restaurants with high ceilings. I don't think those places are for solo diners either. I want the Italian food I see in the US, but the Italian version of it Preferably somewhere where I can sit on outside and people watch while eating and drinking some coffee/wine.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:13 pm

Best bets: Aperitivo with wine in the Navigli or Brera districts (near the center) and outdoor dining either in Brera, Piazza Liberty or Piazza dei mercanti, places near the center that have outdoor dining (weather permitting) and decent and not overpriced food.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I want the Italian food I see in the US, but the Italian version of it
The italian food you see in the US is basically not italian. It is American-italian, an entirely different food. Try ordering fetuccini alfredo, penne alla vodka, veal or chicken parmesan, marinara sauce, meat or shrimp on your salad, italian dressing, scampi, garlic bread, spaghetti bolognese, ceasar salad, pepperoni pizza, or most any USA italian food staple when you are in Italy. They don't exist

Some people feel that you can't even eat Italian food in Italy. It's very regional. People in Alto Adige don't eat the same food as the people in Sardinia, or Venice, or Bologna.

I echo KLouis, why Milan for a first trip to Italy, unless it's business or something? And I agree with CKendall, Navigli or Brera if you want some atmosphere and night life, or what Milan has of it.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:47 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I'm going to Milan because it's a long connection on Emirates on my way to NY, so I thought I'd make the most out of a connection.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Well first question is, since you are flying Emirates, how do you plan on getting from MXP to Milan city center? As it is a bit of a hike. They have bus service for ~20 euro that drops you off at Milano Centrale Station. About a 35-40 minute ride from what I can recall. But if you are a F/J customer on Emirates, they have a car service for you I believe.

There are half a dozen decent hotels you can find that are centrally located and well priced (or are part of a rewards program you use). Milan Hilton (right adjacent to the train station) was above-average, slightly over priced, but known quantity for a 1 night stay last time I was there. I am sure with booking.com & tripadvisor you can come up with a suitable option for your stay.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
'Eataly' in Milan is very nice if you want to have a look at a high end Italien supermarked/ delicatesse - and they also have restaurants (including a cafe with outdoor seating).
http://www.eataly.net/it_en/shops/milan-smeraldo

Last edited by helosc; Sep 29, 2015 at 1:54 am
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by jtav559
Well first question is, since you are flying Emirates, how do you plan on getting from MXP to Milan city center? As it is a bit of a hike. They have bus service for ~20 euro that drops you off at Milano Centrale Station. About a 35-40 minute ride from what I can recall. But if you are a F/J customer on Emirates, they have a car service for you I believe.
The bus (MXP-Stazione Centrale) was 8 Euros (each way) when I took it last week.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
There is also the Malpensa Express train.
One line goes to Milano Centrale and the other line goes to Milano Cadorna.

And look at this thread if you want to get an idea of what Aperitivo is :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...ivo-milan.html

Last edited by helosc; Sep 29, 2015 at 7:59 am
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:28 pm

Not sure where "Perche" is getting their information from regarding food choices in Italy. I have eaten penne alla vodka, spaghetti bolognese, scampi, etc, dozens of times all over Italy. I had spaghetti with meatballs and garlic bread at a trattoria this evening in Abruzzo. You will have no problem finding good things to eat all over Milan regardless of whether or not you happen to see the same item on the menu in the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.