Wiki Posts
Search

Train Advice please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Train Advice please

We will be training from Florence to Cinque Terre and from Cinque Terre to Venice. It is advisable to get train tickets in advance or just buy them right before we need to travel? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Depends on how much you value flexibility vs savings (which may not be much depending on your income). Booking 4 months ahead (maximum allowed on trenitalia) gives you some very cheap fares that are good for a particular train. Of course the ticket is void if you don't take that train.

For example, I bought Milano-La Spezia Super Economy the first day tickets were for sale. €9 each but no changes or refunds. Currently tickets are €19 and €28 which decreasing restrictions. The €19 for walkup over Super Economy may be worth something to you but you may prefer flexibility.

However, your routes are longer than mine and with multiple trains (seems you buy a ticket each), the cost may add up. For example, La Spezia to Venice vi Milan will cost you €18 if you buy Super Economy but €56.50 for walkup tickets. The local/regional trains have no advance purchase advantages.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Goosh
We will be training from Florence to Cinque Terre and from Cinque Terre to Venice. It is advisable to get train tickets in advance or just buy them right before we need to travel? Thanks in advance.
If you know your plans, it is nearly always a good idea to buy train tickets in advance. You may spend a few more euros if you'd rather be flexible, but sometimes it's worth it. Just depends on how you like to travel.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:00 am

Let me add to the above that if you already have a ticket for a "fast" train (e.g. Freccia, non-regional train, etc.) and you decide to leave on an earlier or later one you may find that you are not allowed to, or that it will cost you a juicy extra to have your ticket changed. If your ticket is valid for an earlier or later train without having changed the reservation, it counts as if you traveled without ticket and you pay a high fine.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:14 am

In theory, booking in advance is great for savings. In reality, I book closer in as my plans firm up. The lowest fare classes are entirely, or almost entirely, restricted as far as changes go so keep that in mind. If the price difference is manageable, I like the flexibility of the BASE fare.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Train Advice please

I booked online with Italio and got great deals ahead of time and could pick my seat. Even a few days ahead was flexible enough. If you care about seat location on fast train I'd book ahead
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
I booked online with Italio and got great deals ahead of time and could pick my seat. Even a few days ahead was flexible enough. If you care about seat location on fast train I'd book ahead
Italo's a good option to look at. It's changed for the better, where before they didn't always serve the "main" station in each city. At least now, they do serve Roma Termini, Firenze Santa Maria Novella, Venezia Santa Lucia, etc.

If you're looking for a fast train directly from FCO, Trenitalia is still the only option.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Depends on how much you value flexibility vs savings (which may not be much depending on your income). Booking 4 months ahead (maximum allowed on trenitalia) gives you some very cheap fares that are good for a particular train. Of course the ticket is void if you don't take that train.

For example, I bought Milano-La Spezia Super Economy the first day tickets were for sale. €9 each but no changes or refunds. Currently tickets are €19 and €28 which decreasing restrictions. The €19 for walkup over Super Economy may be worth something to you but you may prefer flexibility.

However, your routes are longer than mine and with multiple trains (seems you buy a ticket each), the cost may add up. For example, La Spezia to Venice vi Milan will cost you €18 if you buy Super Economy but €56.50 for walkup tickets. The local/regional trains have no advance purchase advantages.
Originally Posted by firecracker725
If you know your plans, it is nearly always a good idea to buy train tickets in advance. You may spend a few more euros if you'd rather be flexible, but sometimes it's worth it. Just depends on how you like to travel.
Originally Posted by KLouis
Let me add to the above that if you already have a ticket for a "fast" train (e.g. Freccia, non-regional train, etc.) and you decide to leave on an earlier or later one you may find that you are not allowed to, or that it will cost you a juicy extra to have your ticket changed. If your ticket is valid for an earlier or later train without having changed the reservation, it counts as if you traveled without ticket and you pay a high fine.
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
In theory, booking in advance is great for savings. In reality, I book closer in as my plans firm up. The lowest fare classes are entirely, or almost entirely, restricted as far as changes go so keep that in mind. If the price difference is manageable, I like the flexibility of the BASE fare.
Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Italo's a good option to look at. It's changed for the better, where before they didn't always serve the "main" station in each city. At least now, they do serve Roma Termini, Firenze Santa Maria Novella, Venezia Santa Lucia, etc.

If you're looking for a fast train directly from FCO, Trenitalia is still the only option.
Thank you all for your great advice. I went ahead and booked the tickets which can be changed in terms of day and time, but just can't be cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.