Itinerary help Based in Rome and day trips to Florence and Pompeii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Itinerary help Based in Rome and day trips to Florence and Pompeii

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:48 am
Original Poster

hmm ok well we finally bought tickets from we arrive 12/31/15 and leave 1/7/2016. I just want to thank you all for your input and advice.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Having been to Florence for 4 days a few summers ago, I felt that I saw 85% of what I wanted to see in the time we had. Granted, I was not going at full speed compared to other travelers we knew, but we still saw a very large portion of the popular sites.

We took our advice from Rick Steve's book on Italy and came up with a game plan to see what we thought sounded neat, that fit our parameters (9am departure from the hotel, decent break at lunch, a few more sites before dinner, a nice meal, and then a little nightlife)

To make the most out of your days in Florence, first thing you should do is stop and get the Firenze Card. Can be purchased at the tourism office. It gets you "priority" (I use that term loosely) access and admission to a lot of the main sites, all for one price. Also has some value for public transport in FLR and I think it has wifi credits too. Google it up for the details. For someone on a quick trip, it keeps things simple and consolidated and is a good value! They also have tons of recommendations at the office where you purchase.

The Academia and the Uffizi were both very robust in their offerings of art, the latter more than the former. I found the Uffizi to be a little dry, but I am not a connoisseur of art by any stretch. The Academia was a little more to my liking. These were included in the Firenze card.

The Duomo proper and climb to the top was an awesome experience, but not for the out of shape. The Giotto's bell tower, right adjacent to the Duomo, can also be ascended for spectacular views of the city. These were included in the Firenze card, tho tickets for the climb were at a secondary office across the plaza from the Duomo.

Ponte Vecchio Bridge is a neat toursity sight. Palazzo Vecchio (adjacent to the bridge) is quite impressive as well, as this is where the ruling class worked during the hay-day's of Florence.

A hidden gem for US travelers is the US Military Cemetery outside of the city. Full of WWII history.

The market is worth a visit one morning, as some neat items (edible and not so) can be found there.

And one sight you might enjoy in the evenings is crossing the river to the Piazzale Michelangelo. Great cityscapes of Florence in its evening glow.

Restaurant Recommendations: L'Osteria Di Giovanni, La Falterona.

There is not a shortage of stuff to see and do, it is more a question of how you want to spend your time there.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Trevi fountain reopens

Restoration is over.

Here's a comparison before/after: http://video.repubblica.it/edizione/...51?ref=HRESS-2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.