Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

sicily in february

sicily in february

Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Smile sicily in february

Thinking of traveling to sicily in Feb. with my wife. We are active senior citizens. Will the weather be too cold for site seeing? Planning for a 10 day trip.Recomendations for itinerary and lodging (upscale ) and any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Sicily in February is nice. It's sweater or light jacket weather, not cold. Public transportation is not so great. Depending on how long you are going, it's one of the few places in Italy where renting a car is a good idea, except for when you are in Palermo. It has many wonderful completely non-touristy small and medium size towns and many awesome ancient ruins to see, only accessible by car, or very tediously and slowly by bus. Since it's not touristy, you can rent a car once you leave Palermo, and drive around the whole island, and across the interior. It's not like Rome, where someone would say you have to see the Colosseum, Pantheon, Forum, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, etc. Sicily is so, so interesting. It's not your tourists' Italy.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Perche
Depending on how long you are going, it's one of the few places in Italy where renting a car is a good idea, except for when you are in Palermo.
When we were in Milan last fall, we met someone from Palermo. When he found out we were from New York, he said that NYC is an easier place to drive than Palermo.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
sicily is a great choice for a vacation. as perche stated, it is not "touristy" and overrun. we have been a few times and love it

depending on where you are coming from (I assume the US), I would fly into Palermo and depart from Catania (or the reverse) to maximize travel time without doubling back

depending on how much "big city" experiences you want would affect your stay in Palermo. Frenetic but worth it. the traffic is horrendous. sightsee here on foot and then rent a car to leave the city

most of the sites (assuming that you don't want to move everyday (are in the south central and southeast of sicily. Piazza Amerina (roman mozaics), Agrigento (temples) Ragusa (old city) Noto (beautiful architecture) Siracusa (seaport) and Taormina (touristy but lovely - everyone goes there)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.