Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Rental car in Rome with someone else driving

Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

My husband and I are meeting another couple in Rome in September. We would like to rent a car for one day to drive from Rome to Giulianova. Neither of us know how to drive manual, but our friends are from Germany so they know how. In my brief searches, rental places obvious ask for proof of insurance in the US, but I doubt that would cover another driver who is not on our policy and from another country, in another country. Any ideas on the best way to handle this? The Germans are younger and don't have their own cars in Germany, so I'm assuming do not have their own coverage.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:51 pm

At the rental agency you include your German friend in the rental contract as a second driver (they'll check the driver's licence). There is a fee for this, but I don't remember how much. As for the insurance, "home" insurance has nothing to do with a rental car in Europe. You are given a choice of what you want in addition to the minimum required by law, you pay for it, and that's it.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
At the rental agency you include your German friend in the rental contract as a second driver (they'll check the driver's licence). There is a fee for this, but I don't remember how much. As for the insurance, "home" insurance has nothing to do with a rental car in Europe. You are given a choice of what you want in addition to the minimum required by law, you pay for it, and that's it.
Yes and it's essential that the additional drivers are present at the counter when the rental contract is stipulated.

Charges vary, but are around 7 to 10 per person per day.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Maybe it makes more sense to have them make the reservation and we will pay for it...I'm not sure there is a reason to add one of them as an additional driver when we can't drive at all.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Off Topic, but make sure you check the car out thoroughly before you drive off. Last time I rented in Rome, I noticed that my tires were bald. Not a good thing when driving along the Cinque Terre.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by horse glasses
Maybe it makes more sense to have them make the reservation and we will pay for it...I'm not sure there is a reason to add one of them as an additional driver when we can't drive at all.
I had thought of suggesting this to you when I answered, but then I thought you may want to have... driving lessons!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:11 am
Original Poster

I had thought of suggesting this to you when I answered, but then I thought you may want to have... driving lessons!
Haha, I did have an old boyfriend try to teach me about a decade ago and I could do it around the neighborhood, but never went on the freeway...definitely would not want to try again in another country. I honesty don't know that many people under my age and under that know how. Definitely don't know anyone who even has one anymore!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:29 am

Haha, I did have an old boyfriend try to teach me about a decade ago and I could do it around the neighborhood, but never went on the freeway...definitely would not want to try again in another country. I honesty don't know that many people under my age and under that know how. Definitely don't know anyone who even has one anymore!
Forgive me if I'm asking the obvious but why don't you rent an automatic? Most car rental companies in Italy offer them and they're not much more expensive than a vehicle with a stick shift.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Up In The Air
Forgive me if I'm asking the obvious – but why don't you rent an automatic? Most car rental companies in Italy offer them – and they're not much more expensive than a vehicle with a stick shift.
This is true and I also thought of suggesting it. Then I remembered that I once booked an automatic car at a city (Rome) agency for I don't remember what reason and I got a "normal" (i.e. manual ) one. They apologised and gave me a discount. Imagine poor horse glasses' face if this happened. Of course, it was high season, still...
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:20 am

This is true and I also thought of suggesting it. Then I remembered that I once booked an automatic car at a city (Rome) agency for I don't remember what reason and I got a "normal" (i.e. manual ) one. They apologised and gave me a discount. Imagine poor horse glasses' face if this happened. Of course, it was high season, still...
If Mrs Up In The Air had been there with you and had used her 'gentle' persuasion skills (ie. complaining vociferously in front of car rental company staff and customers alike) with the counter staff they definitely would have found one before too long!

The OP would be advised to reserve an automatic vehicle and telephone the day before picking it up just to make sure that they understand that she really needs one. I'd doubt that she'd have any major problems.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i do not recall AT to be all that common in italy. about 10years ago, i rented in rome. i got an automatic although i did not request one. i was required to sign a document that i was an experienced AT driver, and could handle one.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:29 am
Original Poster

In my brief search, I checked the box for auto only just to see what it gave me and it was about $400 for one day! Versus the $60 or so for manual...
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:52 am

In my brief search, I checked the box for auto only just to see what it gave me and it was about $400 for one day! Versus the $60 or so for manual...
I'd suggest calling the rental company's reservations rather than doing it on line. They may well offer options that are not on the Website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.