Places to see and eat in Milan

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

My husband I are will be in Milan for 2 days, one of those days we will be doing a day trip to Lake Como, the other day we were thinking of going down to the Tuscany part of Italy. Besides the fashion area of Milan what else is there to see, also how about some local places to eat, we try not to eat at the tourist location. Also where is a good part of town to stay in? Our tenitive dates are Sept 1-3.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The most well known sight is da Vinci's "The Last Supper." Sign up now on line for tickets, as they often sell out.

There is a nice downtown area to walk around.

If you are going to Lake Como one day, and "Tuscany" the other, how much time will you really have in Milan?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The most well known sight is da Vinci's "The Last Supper." Sign up now on line for tickets, as they often sell out.

There is a nice downtown area to walk around.

If you are going to Lake Como one day, and "Tuscany" the other, how much time will you really have in Milan?
The day we arrive, which should be about 1pm, we are driving from Ljubljana Slovenia. So looking for a good local place's to eat at.

TIA
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
If you are in for an afternoon/evening, you could spend some of the time in the Duomo/Quadrilateral area; there is the famous Church and a bunch of museums nearby, along with the Galleria and the fashion shops (Via Montenapoleone/Via della Spiga) etc.

Then I might head over to the Navigli for an aperitivo (there is a separate thread below) and dinner would depend on what you like to eat (traditional Lombard food or something else) and your price range.

The best place to stay would be a hotel somewhat near some of these things, either in the city Center or nearby. As you are SPG Plat, you could see the thread in that forum to see what people think of the Gallia, Westin, Diana and Four Points, all of which are relatively well situated but substantially different in price/experience.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ckendall
If you are in for an afternoon/evening, you could spend some of the time in the Duomo/Quadrilateral area; there is the famous Church and a bunch of museums nearby, along with the Galleria and the fashion shops (Via Montenapoleone/Via della Spiga) etc.

Then I might head over to the Navigli for an aperitivo (there is a separate thread below) and dinner would depend on what you like to eat (traditional Lombard food or something else) and your price range.

The best place to stay would be a hotel somewhat near some of these things, either in the city Center or nearby. As you are SPG Plat, you could see the thread in that forum to see what people think of the Gallia, Westin, Diana and Four Points, all of which are relatively well situated but substantially different in price/experience.

Thanks for the info, in regards to price, 15-30 Euro, this is why I was asking about a local place, type of food Italian of course
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
For sure, do NOT eat at the Galleria. Perhaps a coffee or a beverage but the food there and in the area is overpriced and underwhelming.

If you are driving in, the area around the Galleria and La Scala is in the ZTL so don't drive to it. As Marriott Silver, there is a nice Marriott on via Washington and you can park around there. There is a nice Neapolitan restaurant just up the street from the Marriott that is good and reasonable (as I recall).

Alternatively, I would second the Naviglio for a drink/dinner. One weekend a month (I believe the last) there is a nice flea market there as well.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:59 pm
tyn

Milan is unfortunately an expensive city, for us locals as well. Planning to spend 15-30 Euro, means a pizza, small beer and coffee in a not Duomo area place - or not fancy touristy place.
Two places off my head that fit the above are Meucci in Via San Giovanni sul Muro or Superpizza in Via Sabotino. Both are cheap places with great pizza and little else.
In my experience, when tourists ask for non touristy places where us locals go they end up being disappointed because what they really want is not that
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tyn
Milan is unfortunately an expensive city, for us locals as well. Planning to spend 15-30 Euro, means a pizza, small beer and coffee in a not Duomo area place - or not fancy touristy place.
Two places off my head that fit the above are Meucci in Via San Giovanni sul Muro or Superpizza in Via Sabotino. Both are cheap places with great pizza and little else.
In my experience, when tourists ask for non touristy places where us locals go they end up being disappointed because what they really want is not that
I have never been disappointed in going to local places, thank you for the info, will check them out.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JMN57
For sure, do NOT eat at the Galleria. Perhaps a coffee or a beverage but the food there and in the area is overpriced and underwhelming.

If you are driving in, the area around the Galleria and La Scala is in the ZTL so don't drive to it. As Marriott Silver, there is a nice Marriott on via Washington and you can park around there. There is a nice Neapolitan restaurant just up the street from the Marriott that is good and reasonable (as I recall).

Alternatively, I would second the Naviglio for a drink/dinner. One weekend a month (I believe the last) there is a nice flea market there as well.
We are doing a European Delivery of our new BMW, so yes, driving to Milan.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Enjoy the car! Just did Euro Delivery in Munich last November over Thanksgiving week. Really didn't get a chance to drive it except around Munich (In Monday/out Friday).

Next time, we'll do a more extensive drive.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JMN57
Enjoy the car! Just did Euro Delivery in Munich last November over Thanksgiving week. Really didn't get a chance to drive it except around Munich (In Monday/out Friday).

Next time, we'll do a more extensive drive.
We figured this would give us a great vacation, plus having your own car to us only enhances the whole vacation.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

keep the car in sheltered and guarded garge in italy.(or keep it well insured)
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by slawecki
keep the car in sheltered and guarded garge in italy.(or keep it well insured)
The car is insured through BMWAG its a pretty good set up, if the car is damaged, stolen or totaled BMW fix's the car or replaces it..
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I too will be in Milan (our first time) and could use a recommendation for lunch and dinner near our hotel which is the Boscolo Milano.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:36 pm

I thought I'll add a related question to this thread itself. Any suggestions for touristy places to visit at night in Milan, excluding pubs, bars, restaurants?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.