Reload this Page >

Pognana Lario

Pognana Lario

Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:06 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Pognana Lario

Going to be spending 5 days in Pognana Lario in a lake-front flat soon.

Anyone have any good advice regarding the town or the surrounding area? We're driving up from Milan and planning for lots of relaxation as well as maybe hopping around on ferries a bit.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
If you scored a lake from flat on Pognana Lario your plan of lots of relaxation is a good one, because that's mainly what you do there. Just don't get too close to George Clooney's House. There's a 500 euro fine if you get within 100 meters. You'll be just across a narrow strait of water from his house on Lake Como. There's plenty to do in the surrounding area in Lake Como. Not so many ferries from Pognana, so you'll have to check the schedule. Of course, Bellagio will be worth a ferry trip, as is Varenna.

The Lake food is great. If you want to splurge, take the ferry to Cernobbio and eat at the Grand Hotel Villa D'Este, or Il Gato Nero. In Varenna, Cavatappi is very good. It's tiny, no view, but great food and loyal clientele. It sometimes is booked a year in advance. There are only a 8-10 tables. Bellagio can be touristy but has to be seen for its stunning beauty, and there are some great restaurants on the outskirts. Alle Darsene di Lopia in Bellagio is great (not to be confused with La Darsena in Tremezzo) is superb, especially if you can get a garden table. If you want to splurge in Bellagio at a great view restaurant, Le Mistral is hard to beat. Relax, ferry, eat. But don't get too close to Clooney's house. Actually just kidding you can drive right by it because it's on the main road across the water from where you'll be, you just can't take a boat to within 100 meters.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
I keep getting advice about George Clooney. Not sure why it's such a big deal that he has a house on the lake there, but that's all anyone says.

So I really appreciate the practical advice!

This is where we will stay:

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p443879

Last edited by kokonutz; Jun 22, 2015 at 7:55 am
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Perche
If you scored a lake from flat on Pognana Lario your plan of lots of relaxation is a good one, because that's mainly what you do there. Just don't get too close to George Clooney's House. There's a 500 euro fine if you get within 100 meters. You'll be just across a narrow strait of water from his house on Lake Como. There's plenty to do in the surrounding area in Lake Como. Not so many ferries from Pognana, so you'll have to check the schedule. Of course, Bellagio will be worth a ferry trip, as is Varenna.

The Lake food is great. If you want to splurge, take the ferry to Cernobbio and eat at the Grand Hotel Villa D'Este, or Il Gato Nero. In Varenna, Cavatappi is very good. It's tiny, no view, but great food and loyal clientele. It sometimes is booked a year in advance. There are only a 8-10 tables. Bellagio can be touristy but has to be seen for its stunning beauty, and there are some great restaurants on the outskirts. Alle Darsene di Lopia in Bellagio is great (not to be confused with La Darsena in Tremezzo) is superb, especially if you can get a garden table. If you want to splurge in Bellagio at a great view restaurant, Le Mistral is hard to beat. Relax, ferry, eat. But don't get too close to Clooney's house. Actually just kidding you can drive right by it because it's on the main road across the water from where you'll be, you just can't take a boat to within 100 meters.
Since I haven't been there (yet!), I assume where he lives is obvious in some way? How would I know which place is his so I can avoid it?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I keep getting advice about George Clooney. Not sure why it's such a big deal that he has a house on the lake there, but that's all anyone says.

So I really appreciate the practical advice!

This is where we will stay:

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p443879
Don't worry about Clooney, you just can't harass him. They're pretty protective of him. Since he moved there property values skyrocketed, and they don't want him to move out. They respect his privacy. But if that picture is the house where you are staying, if you can swim across that strait to the nearest point on the other side, you'll be at his deck.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by sophiesophie
Since I haven't been there (yet!), I assume where he lives is obvious in some way? How would I know which place is his so I can avoid it?
It's not obvious, and you don't have to go to pains to ignore it. His house is right on the water, and the only road in town passes right behind it, so every car that drives through passes within 100 meters of his house, right near the jetty and public square. Lake Como is a place for boats, and flotillas of boats of tourists and paparazzi would be parked in the water right off of his place, so he couldn't even go out to his own deck or his own boat. They can't stop people from driving by, they just don't want people parking their boats in front of his house and sitting there all day with a camera, waiting for him to come out. You don't have to avoid anything.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Went to Bellagio last week and was a nice diversion- despite the thunder cloud that rolled thru and soaked me. Lots of places to walk around- just make sure you make it to the right ferry dock if connecting like we were.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.